Sean O'Brien update
Discussion started by mackemII , 03 September, 2020 20:36
Sean O'Brien update
mackemII 03 September, 2020 20:36
From The Irish Examiner
[www.irishexaminer.com]

Re: Sean O'Brien update
Shawshank 03 September, 2020 20:47
I really donít want to hear another word from Billy Big Bollocks about how great Leinster were compared with little old LI.

Is it too much to ask him to finally get fit to play and actually start paying back something of his mega salary?

GHA 03 September, 2020 21:27
Quote:
Shawshank
I really donít want to hear another word from Billy Big Bollocks about how great Leinster were compared with little old LI.
Is it too much to ask him to finally get fit to play and actually start paying back something of his mega salary?

It was Les Kiss wot said it

paddym 03 September, 2020 21:29
(Sm152)
Quote:
Shawshank

Hear Hear

M51 03 September, 2020 22:40
I would really like to know what is going on with the squad for next year. I am seriously thinking of not renewing our season tickets, its the lack of information on team, stadium availablity post lock down, parking access. The whole package of the new season and lack of updates is leaving us disillulioned, good luck to London Irish, but i expect we will become a few fixture members. to suit time and travel. Only having watched a few of the new stars on TV replays from historical games and never having seen them together in the LI shirt. I am wondering what all the future will hold. We will now watch from afar, but good luck to Irish and all you stalwart supporters that can make it as season ticket holders.
Cheers COYI

Bazzo 03 September, 2020 23:40
Kiss just making excuses as normal.

Donít see how SOB said anything there. He has been an expensive signing though. I am sure that he is not cheap and there is not much game time from him.

Amazing to me that even the coaches are writing off the season. Astonishing actually. The pressure that they would be under if Sarries were not relegated.

echidna 03 September, 2020 23:47
Quote:
GHA
It was Les Kiss wot said it
But that wouldn't fit with Shawshank's strangely anti-Irish narrative ...... nor fit in with his idiotic nickname fetish

Exilepaul 03 September, 2020 23:59
The recruitment has been a shambles

Nick4219 04 September, 2020 06:12
Quote:
Exilepaul

Mate, you are a walking and talking contradiction!

Posted by: Exilepaul (IP Logged)
Date: 06 August, 2020 01:09

Quote:
Bazzo
Pre...... especially if Coleman is out and Botha gone.
Signings are decidedly average.

Tom Homer is one of the best 15s in the prem, Rob Simmons is a 100 odd cap Australia lock international Ross Neal is a good player and Matt Cornish and Seb will add depth plus we should have a full fit PJ

Nick4219 04 September, 2020 06:19
Quote:
Bazzo
Kiss just making excuses as normal.
Donít see how SOB said anything there. He has been an expensive signing though. I am sure that he is not cheap and there is not much game time from him.

Amazing to me that even the coaches are writing off the season. Astonishing actually. The pressure that they would be under if Sarries were not relegated.

The coaches are dealing in reality not what ifs.

Saracens are relegated. As soon as this happened, the outlook of a few teams will have changed.

The coronavirus is unprecedented and never seen before in sport so things will take a long time to return to normal. The plans for next season regarding stadium attendance probably arenít firmed up because nobody knows when fans in England will be able to watch the games in person and the limitation on attendance/capacity.

SOB has done nothing wrong to Irish and I canít understand the vitriol directed towards him. Heís injured, players get injured, itís part of the game. Iím sure he doesnít wish to be sidelined.

Exilepaul 04 September, 2020 08:34
Quote:
Nick4219
Quote:
Exilepaul

Quote:
Bazzo

Tom Homer is one of the best 15s in the prem, Rob Simmons is a 100 odd cap Australia lock international Ross Neal is a good player and Matt Cornish and Seb will add depth plus we should have a full fit PJ

Clearly I meant last summers recruitment

Clontarf 04 September, 2020 08:46
Quote:
mackemII
From The Irish Examiner
[www.irishexaminer.com]

Bill

Dear God man,

Stop posting, look at the hornet's nest you've disturbed.
Stick to canasta, cribbage or crochet

Nick4219 04 September, 2020 08:55
Quote:
Exilepaul
Quote:
Nick4219
Quote:
Exilepaul

Quote:
Bazzo

Clearly I meant last summers recruitment

The only thing clear to me is that you donít seem to know your posterior from your elbow.

mackemII 04 September, 2020 09:17
Quote:
Clontarf
Quote:
mackemII
From The Irish Examiner
[www.irishexaminer.com]

Bill

Dear God man,

Stop posting, look at the hornet's nest you've disturbed.
Stick to canasta, cribbage or crochet

I'll settle for cribbage, Sunderland boys weren't taught the other two!

HMRH 04 September, 2020 10:26
The negativity hurts my karma man - roll on next season

BaltiBoy 04 September, 2020 11:08
Just a quick question that I honestly don't know the answer to.

When we signed SOB did we know he was injured and required extensive surgery or was he fully fit when he arrived?

Cheers & Beers
BB

GHA 04 September, 2020 11:26
BBC announced his signing in February

[www.bbc.co.uk]

It was announced he was missing the World Cup and would be out for six months due to the hip injury in May

[www.theguardian.com]

BaltiBoy 04 September, 2020 11:29
Quote:
GHA
BBC announced his signing in February
[www.bbc.co.uk]

It was announced he was missing the World Cup and would be out for six months due to the hip injury in May

[www.theguardian.com]

Thanks GHA, I guess it's just unfortunate he injured his hip after we'd signed him. Such a shame.

Cheers & Beers
BB

shimmieandshake 04 September, 2020 11:30
Signing was announced in February. Was ruled out of RWC and had the surgery in May.

It sounds like the hip was a long-term issue, but difficult to tell whether he was already planning on the surgery.

I have no idea why everyone's piling into the bloke, as if they're personally paying him and he's skiving off. He joined in December, was rehabing for the first three months, and then returned against Sale in the game before the season break. There's an attitude on this board as if they wanted him to be playing non-existent games through lockdown to prove his commitment.

Give the bloke time. I'd bet he'd be playing himself for 80 minutes every game if possible, and that Dec and Les know how to manage the guy better than we do. I'm hoping he's the leader we want, and really helps build a winning culture - having SOB, Blair, Coleman, Simmons and Creevy playing together is going to be fantastic - but if it doesn't quite work out, it's not going to be for a lack of effort on his part.

And, from a cynical point-of-view, there will definitely be more expats showing up to Brentford because he's around.

BaltiBoy 04 September, 2020 11:45
Quote:
shimmieandshake
Signing was announced in February. Was ruled out of RWC and had the surgery in May.
It sounds like the hip was a long-term issue, but difficult to tell whether he was already planning on the surgery.

I have no idea why everyone's piling into the bloke, as if they're personally paying him and he's skiving off. He joined in December, was rehabing for the first three months, and then returned against Sale in the game before the season break. There's an attitude on this board as if they wanted him to be playing non-existent games through lockdown to prove his commitment.

Give the bloke time. I'd bet he'd be playing himself for 80 minutes every game if possible, and that Dec and Les know how to manage the guy better than we do. I'm hoping he's the leader we want, and really helps build a winning culture - having SOB, Blair, Coleman, Simmons and Creevy playing together is going to be fantastic - but if it doesn't quite work out, it's not going to be for a lack of effort on his part.

And, from a cynical point-of-view, there will definitely be more expats showing up to Brentford because he's around.

I personally have nothing against the bloke, I'm sure he's a terrific guy. However I think some people, myself included are wondering whether signing a chap with a decade long history of serious injuries was not a naive move. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though, and I desperately hope he pulls through in the end.

Cheers & Beers
BB

franciscorrigan 04 September, 2020 11:51
On paper our squad for next season looks better than for some years. We should be quite competitive and I'm quite sure that the 2Ks know a damn sight more about rugby than we amateur pontificators. I don't know what their thinking is regarding this season, but it looks like a top 8 finish and Champions cup qualification is highly unlikely, so there will probably be some odd looking sides on the field for the remaining matches. Getting a fully fit squad for next season is surely the priority.

Also, I'm all for differences of opinion, but some of the posts on these fora are getting rather like children in the playground. We all make dumb comments occasionally, but there is no reason for rudeness.(Sm63)

shimmieandshake 04 September, 2020 12:18
Quote:
BaltiBoy
Quote:
shimmieandshake

I personally have nothing against the bloke, I'm sure he's a terrific guy. However I think some people, myself included are wondering whether signing a chap with a decade long history of serious injuries was not a naive move. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though, and I desperately hope he pulls through in the end.

Yeah, I completely understand that. I honestly thought we'd never see him wear the shirt given the hip surgery and definitely agree it's a risk given his injury record.

Then again, if he does pull through and regain some form, the upside is huge.

SixNineOne 04 September, 2020 18:51
My recollection is that it was known that SOíB was carrying a hip injury when we signed him. It was a long term problem so it was probably part of our plan that he would go through the operation and rehab when he arrived. Clearly management thought he was worth a long term bet and Iíd support them in that decision. The first time I saw him with the squad was at the game at Franklinís Gardens when I happened to be sitting near the Irish bench. Heíd come along to lend his support and was sitting with the boys. You could immediately see that he was having a massive influence in terms of encouraging and firing the lads up, even though he wasnít even in the playing squad. I suspect thereís a lot heís doing that we never see In terms of leadership and informal coaching and Iím really looking forward to seeing him once we have our full squad playing next season.

Bazzo 04 September, 2020 23:08
Who is laying into SOB? He is a great player (when fit) but he has been here this season and will have featured for about 90 mins over the whole season, that is not value in my eyes. I am sure that he is a great influence around the place, but I would say that he was signed as a player and not a team motivator. As for the give him time brigade, he is not a spring chicken and he has been through the ringer physically, plays on average 8 games a season and that was before the replacement hip ! Do i that he has been a great signing, no i do not. But genuinely hope that he plays every game next season if this one is finished for him. Hope that he plays magnificent and gets back on the Lions team, I really do.

Are people not allowed to have opinions on here? If anyone gives one that is not a jolly green one then you get slated. Everything is all green tinted and no one is allowed to say otherwise. We have been rubbish since the return but thatís just my opinion. We had five months off to rest players and get them fit, we have spent more money than we ever have, used all the CVC pounds i would say and no one is bothered. Strange times indeed.

GHA 05 September, 2020 08:22
Quote:
Bazzo
plays on average 8 games a season

[www.itsrugby.co.uk] suggests 128 club games and 61 internationals in 12 seasons, or 15.75 games a season on average (including the current season which isn't exactly boosting the figures)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2020 08:59 by GHA.

SteveS 05 September, 2020 15:17
Scapegoat alert, if there are problems with our squad, it's never the fault of one signing or one player, there isn't a season goes by when one signing doesn't work out for any club, anywhere

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net