Latest news:

Team for Gloucester
Discussion started by tatthecraic3 , 03 September, 2020 22:49
Team for Gloucester
tatthecraic3 03 September, 2020 22:49
Maybe a bit controversial but feel we had more fight in us last match so want the guys to be rewarded with selection

W G-C
Creevy
Kepu
Munga
Donnell
Cowan
Cooke
Tuisue
Brand
Jackson
OHC
Hepatima
Rona / Neal (if Rona has done too many minutes)
Homer (yes wing)
Parton

Assuming arent available

Naholo
SOB
Coleman
Simmonds
Loader
Phipps

Any thoughts?

Re: Team for Gloucester
Exilepaul 04 September, 2020 00:01
Naholo and Coleman are training I'm not sure what's up with Loader atm and why would Phipps not be available

Nick4219 04 September, 2020 06:51
Quote:
tatthecraic3
Maybe a bit controversial but feel we had more fight in us last match so want the guys to be rewarded with selection
W G-C
Creevy
Kepu
Munga
Donnell
Cowan
Cooke
Tuisue
Brand
Jackson
OHC
Hepatima
Homer (yes wing)
Parton

Assuming arent available

Naholo
SOB
Coleman
Simmonds
Loader
Phipps

Any thoughts?

I agree with a lot of that.

I would probably swap out the second rows if Coleman/Mafi were available as I think we need some grunt back in the engine room.

I think Parton may be injured so Homer would be my choice at full back with Stokes on the wing.

Exile_Dave 04 September, 2020 08:32
Quote:
Exilepaul
Naholo and Coleman are training I'm not sure what's up with Loader atm and why would Phipps not be available

Phipps and Loader both had concussion and have to sit out due to protocols

tatthecraic3 04 September, 2020 08:55
Quote:
Nick4219
Quote:
tatthecraic3
W G-C
Creevy
Kepu
Munga
Donnell
Cowan
Cooke
Tuisue
Brand
Jackson
OHC
Hepatima
Homer (yes wing)
Parton

Assuming arent available

Naholo
SOB
Coleman
Simmonds
Loader
Phipps

Any thoughts?

I would probably swap out the second rows if Coleman/Mafi were available as I think we need some grunt back in the engine room.

I think Parton may be injured so Homer would be my choice at full back with Stokes on the wing.

Fair enough if Coleman is free then maybe swap Munga to the bench. Though he had a cracking game though last time out. Very abrasive defensively. Not a judgement but though Seb was a drop in quality when he came on
More a testament to our young second row rather than a jab at Seb.

Nick4219 04 September, 2020 09:07
Quote:
tatthecraic3
Quote:
Nick4219
Quote:
tatthecraic3
W G-C
Creevy
Kepu
Munga
Donnell
Cowan
Cooke
Tuisue
Brand
Jackson
OHC
Hepatima
Homer (yes wing)
Parton

Assuming arent available

Naholo
SOB
Coleman
Simmonds
Loader
Phipps

Any thoughts?

Fair enough if Coleman is free then maybe swap Munga to the bench. Though he had a cracking game though last time out. Very abrasive defensively. Not a judgement but though Seb was a drop in quality when he came on
More a testament to our young second row rather than a jab at Seb.

Yes, he had a great debut. I think we just miss the experience and brute strength required to stem the shove over tries we have been conceding from line outs.

No doubt it will be great experience for him and will go some way to adding depth for next season.

SirBurger 04 September, 2020 09:10
Coleman is probably our most important player. I would be in no rush to get him back for this weekend. I know it means we will probably lose the remainder of our games this season, but what really counts is staying up in 2020/21.

Nick4219 04 September, 2020 09:29
Quote:
SirBurger
Coleman is probably our most important player. I would be in no rush to get him back for this weekend. I know it means we will probably lose the remainder of our games this season, but what really counts is staying up in 2020/21.

I also agree wholeheartedly with this. If heís not for, you are right, donít rush. However, if he is fit it would be good to see him get some game time to boost the team and get him match fit for next year as there isnít much of a break (if any) from the end of this season and the beginning of the next.

We want our strongest and best players fully fit and available for the 20/21 campaign

HMRH 04 September, 2020 10:29
I wonder if our scrum issues will improve with some more heft in the locks? Seemed to me that most penalties were front row collaising or losing bind but a bit more parity in forward momentum might help? Coleman and Botha made a huge difference hereís hoping Simmons and Coleman do even more

franciscorrigan 04 September, 2020 12:01
It doesn't matter how good your front row is if your locks aren't up to it. The pack need to be a cohesive unit of all 8 and at the moment we are a bit light. On paper next season, when all are fit, we should have one of the better and more mobile packs in the league, with a lot of International experience. Really looking forward to it(Sm63)

HMRH 04 September, 2020 12:10
Glaws going for it looking at their team - come on lads

SteveS 05 September, 2020 16:19
Craig Doyle hyping this one is really earning his money. Easier to sell double glazing mate

SteveS 05 September, 2020 16:36
How the hell was that line out throw straight, it was virtually a pass to the scrum half

SteveS 05 September, 2020 16:40
Sigh another amateurish intercept try

M51 05 September, 2020 17:05
Kepu limping after 27 mins Tuisuie really putting it about. No penetration in attack. COYI

Shawshank 05 September, 2020 17:08
We donít seem able to create any space.

Unlike Glos. nice try to be fair.

M51 05 September, 2020 17:12
Not sure we spent our money well. Lets hope we find inspiration somewhere amongst the mediocrity.

jimbo800 05 September, 2020 17:13
Williams and Hep are blunt tools whoíll go through walls for you, but in attack I think our centre partnerships are very limited. Maybe itís things like this that make the likes of Loader look elsewhere. How often do we actually see Loader put in space.

SteveS 05 September, 2020 17:15
OHC keeps us in it, nice finish

fatlad76 05 September, 2020 17:17
This game is there for the winning coyi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2020 17:17 by fatlad76.

RWesty17 05 September, 2020 17:18
Thank god for that. Good finish but Honestly the attacking play has been poor. Need to be way more clinical, too many dropped balls with 5 metres to go, pushed into touch, wingers not backing themselves. Would like to see Naholo back with a bit more strength. Still think we are a decent centre light

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2020 17:19 by RWesty17.

tatthecraic3 05 September, 2020 17:19
Glad OHC scored. Its almost like his confidence was gone and he wasnt attacking and defense was very Patchy. Suddenly he scores and is chipping past and looking more lively.

Don't think Hep and Williams work as a paring. Too light weight.

The match is there for the taking.

Creevy line outs have been a revelation.

M51 05 September, 2020 17:25
Creevey has been a light in the darkness. A game that could be won. The pundits say our 9 and 10 don't have the forward support required to make it work.

BaltiBoy 05 September, 2020 17:30
Our set piece is solid, our commitment great, but we just lack that edge and creativity in attack.

Get an early try and we can do this, COYI!

Cheers & Beers
BB

Shawshank 05 September, 2020 17:35
Utter shambles with the line out. Why do we always rush things. Thatís just terrible coaching.

RWesty17 05 September, 2020 17:38
ĎIts a shambles. Weíve tried that a lot post COVID and itís never worked. Just keep it in the maul and drive over

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2020 17:38 by RWesty17.

M51 05 September, 2020 17:41
I guess we miss our forwards coach. 😎

HK Phooey 05 September, 2020 17:41
That move worked against Wasps on the opening day

M51 05 September, 2020 17:48
I guess we are on for a great finish COYI

SteveS 05 September, 2020 17:50
Well game on now with that Creevy try - the big question now is whether the losing habit will cost us, letís see

RWesty17 05 September, 2020 17:51
Quote:
HK Phooey
That move worked against Wasps on the opening day

I stand corrected

SteveS 05 September, 2020 18:00
Blew 2 chances to add to the Creevy try and have now inevitably conceded. This is the psychological effect of losing game after game

M51 05 September, 2020 18:02
Blair our go to man off. Sugar sugar

M51 05 September, 2020 18:05
Need faster support, its just not there. Cmon you Irish.

SteveS 05 September, 2020 18:20
We had a great opportunity to get a win but did anyone really think it would happen? Losing is a habit and itís now deeply ingrained in these players. Anyone who thinks this is good preparation for next season other than installing us joint basement favourites with Newcastle, I would humbly disagree with

Tom1215 05 September, 2020 18:21
The change in tempo happened when Creevy and Phipps went off.
Meehan doesnít know what heís doing half of the time and that doesnít help the back line.
Phipps and Jackson were superb together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2020 18:21 by Tom1215.

Tom1215 05 September, 2020 18:22
The lack of experience on the bench didnít help at all.

Tom1215 05 September, 2020 18:23
Much better for 60minutes but still not a proper full game performance

M51 05 September, 2020 18:23
Some dubious decisions by the officials but still Irish not up to competing. They could have won this match. I guess the current setup players and coaching team isnt right. I thought today would be the turn around. Good luck for the next match.

AlecW 05 September, 2020 18:24
Agree with the last 3-4 posts. Encouraging first 50-60 mins, then...

Speed, power and intensity dropped noticeably when Creevy, Cowan (hope heís OK) and Phipps exited...

Shawshank 05 September, 2020 18:28
Anyone who saw Jordy Reid in the Champ Cup final for Ealing would have tried to sign him. Probably would have cost us 33% of what we are paying for our non-playing stars.

cjm. 05 September, 2020 18:29
Quote:
M51
Some dubious decisions by the officials but still Irish not up to competing. They could have won this match. I guess the current setup players and coaching team isnt right. I thought today would be the turn around. Good luck for the next match.

Yeah, I though I understood the ruck laws but clearly not.

Pass was clearly forward also.

BaltiBoy 05 September, 2020 18:34
Could not fault the effort and endeavour but we just don't have a cutting edge.

I thought the forwards were tremendous and gave us so much quick ball but we just lack any penetration in the backs. Offensively Heps and Williams were nowhere to be seen.

Glos on the other hand were clinical, very little ball especially in the second half but still scored 5 tries. They see an opportunity and take it.

Would just love to see us be a bit more creative in midfield and perhaps I'm being a bit critical here but think in games like this OHC and and Loader need to start coming of their wings and start looking to get more involved.

Cheers & Beers
BB

SixNineOne 05 September, 2020 18:44
That was undoubtedly a step in the right direction but, as others have said, the finishing isnít there. Phipps and Jackson looked very good but not much outside them. Matt Williams was a non-entity and I have to say I havenít been too impressed by OHC over the last few games. All too often when he gets the ball he ends up throwing a wildly optimistic offload or kicking it dead. The boyís got talent but thereís still quite a lot of work to do there. Creevy, on the other hand, is a real warrior who adds so much to our pack.

Heaf 05 September, 2020 18:56
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
M51

Yeah, I though I understood the ruck laws but clearly not.

Pass was clearly forward also.

Yep - officials were very poor ...

Tom1215 05 September, 2020 19:01
I just wish OHC would come looking for the ball a bit more. Another great try but he seems to go missing during parts of the game and needs to get himself involved a little more like loader.

Shout out to George Nott today he was really good (heís definitely not a Coleman or a Botha) but fair play to him today gave us some really good go forward ball. De Chaves on the other hand... would much rather see Munga or Donnell get some minutes.

Tom1215 05 September, 2020 19:03
Also what happened to the rule around deliberate knock ons?
I thought if you show no attempt to catch it or slap/push it downwards/away from you that was an automatic yellow?

M51 05 September, 2020 19:06
We have a great set of backs, just lacking the right coaching and a fitter and faster front five. Got to say Albert and Agustin were stand out. Paddy J had a good game. Now down to Irish v Woos v tiggers for the virtual bottom place.

shimmieandshake 05 September, 2020 19:08
Frustrated with that. Came back well, lots of chances to score again when 20-23 up and then very quickly unraveled.

Echo the positivity around Creevy and Phipps/Jackson. Before this game I'd have probably taken Meehan over Phipps, but that's definitely not the case anymore; the difference in tempo was resounding today. Every 10 second box kick is more frustrating than the last...

Shout out to Nott, who carried really well, and to SDC also. They're clearly no Coleman/Simmons combo, but I'm really pleased with how they've showed up - seem to have improved plenty since that Bath game.

Back three was a worry. Not quite connecting yet with support lines etc. OHC is a deadly finisher but his decision-making and positioning needs to improve massively.

BaltiBoy 05 September, 2020 19:12
Quote:
M51
We have a great set of backs, just lacking the right coaching

Probably should know this but do we have an attack coach at LI?

Cheers & Beers
BB

LI Bohemian 05 September, 2020 19:43
I would say the biggest difference between the teams is the bench, Gloucester bring on Rees-Zammit, Simpson, Twelvetrees and make the team stronger, none of our bench are better than the starting line-up at this current time, I thought the team played with a lot more savvy than in recent outings, but if you haven't got a strong back up then you will only last 60mins.
I totally agree that if you nonchalantly pat the ball forward during a move it should always be a yellow card, it wasn't as if he was ever going to catch it,

Exilepaul 05 September, 2020 19:51
We've picked up 2 points from the last possible 35 which is disgraceful, give everyone we play 5 points have dinosaurs coaching us and have players sending abusive messages to supporters everything about us just stinks.

Smudge21 05 September, 2020 19:54
Quote:
Exilepaul
We've picked up 2 points from the last possible 35 which is disgraceful, give everyone we play 5 points have dinosaurs coaching us and have players sending abusive messages to supporters everything about us just stinks.

Players sending abusive messages to supporters???

Tom1215 05 September, 2020 19:54
Players sending abusive messages what are you even on about?

tatthecraic3 05 September, 2020 19:56
Here's Paul.

Great to see your comedy on the front lines again. You're really developing your character on the board. Can't wait to see where you take it from here.

Its our own personal Trump

Exilepaul 05 September, 2020 19:58
Quote:
Tom1215

Supporter comment on Instagram
"Too many egos in this team"

Tuisue "watch your mouth"
Hepetema "shut the @#$%& up you dont know anything"

SteveS 05 September, 2020 19:58
Weíve certainly come out of lockdown as now the worst team in the Premiership, after having gone in as a midtable team.

Fail to see what crumbs of comfort we can draw from that. It sets us up poorly for next season. Other teams are taking advantage of this dead rubber period, we are not

Blarney 05 September, 2020 20:03
Another step up in performance from last week, though very frustrating to lose the bonus point at the end.

Creevy top notch again - a real leader. Another big game from Albert as well. Nott has obviously put a lot of work into his carrying and it was great to see Phipps and Jackson clicking so well. Mauls were much improved and we had the better of the rucks for most of the game, which shows some good coaching has happened since the wasps game.

We missed Rona in the centres and Coleman in the lineout. In the end though, the biggest difference was the benches: Gloucesters was better than ours. That and the officials missing the rather blatant block that allowed May to squeeze through to set up the decisive try (not going to even mention the forward pass at the end).

Exilepaul 05 September, 2020 20:06
Quote:
SteveS
Weíve certainly come out of lockdown as now the worst team in the Premiership, after having gone in as a midtable team.
Fail to see what crumbs of comfort we can draw from that. It sets us up poorly for next season. Other teams are taking advantage of this dead rubber period, we are not

Our game before lockdown was 39-0 defeat against Sale and a comfortable 10 point defeat to wasps before that, we've been garbage for ages but people want to bury their heads in the sand I genuinely think something has happened internally or something

SteveS 05 September, 2020 20:07
Quote:
Exilepaul
Quote:
Tom1215

Anyone who has a go at players on social media deserves what they get back.

I genuinely donít get the double standard here where fans can say what they like but players have to have the skills of machine politicians and not respond. They are just normal people like you and I, they hurt badly on days like this. Fans can vent their disappointment in strong terms on forums like this but to go seeking out the players is scumbag behaviour

SixNineOne 05 September, 2020 20:15
Until the 77th minute I thought the novice ref, Hamish Smales, had a pretty good game. He seemed to be consistent in his ruck interpretation (whether you agreed with it or not) and we had no scrum penalties and relatively few scrum resets. He seemed to get in the scrum halfís line of fire a little too often, but overall not too bad and way, way better than the awful Ian Tempest. Gloucesterís last try was pretty clearly a forward pass but I blame the TMO, David Rose, for that, as he made his mind up without letting Smales have a proper look at it.

Tom1215 05 September, 2020 20:32
Quote:
SteveS
Quote:
Exilepaul
Quote:
Tom1215

I genuinely donít get the double standard here where fans can say what they like but players have to have the skills of machine politicians and not respond. They are just normal people like you and I, they hurt badly on days like this. Fans can vent their disappointment in strong terms on forums like this but to go seeking out the players is scumbag behaviour

Totally agree with this.
Fair play to hepetema and Tuisue

Margin_Walker 05 September, 2020 20:41
100%

Whatever you think of the performance, the players have put their bodies on the line. Blithely have a dig about egos in the team on social media if you want, but don't be shocked if you get a bit back occasionally.

M51 05 September, 2020 20:42
Hamish did okay but the general officiating (TMO) included, missed or ignored a few what were to me as a spectator, definite errors. Apart from that Irish played well and had loads of possession, but couldnt turn it into points and l believe Irish are lacking in a good attacking coach. Watching Saints v Exeter you could see the speed that the team including the forwards come into support their tackled player. Unless somebody can tell me different, I think the issue is in the attack (especially in the last 10 metres) and ball retention during the tackles. All in all the team played well, like most things in life the difference between success and failure is small margins. I watched this game with expectations of victory but should have known better, but my heart still tells me this club has great days to come.
Lets hops Irish just work on those small margins that turn failure into success. Can I say be positive and believe Irish will come out of thsis season a better side.

Nick4219 05 September, 2020 20:43
Quote:
Tom1215
Quote:
SteveS
Quote:
Exilepaul
Quote:
Tom1215

Totally agree with this.
Fair play to hepetema and Tuisue

I wouldnít describe telling someone to watch their mouth or to STFU as threatening.

No doubt if the troll had been in the presence of the players he would not have said this out loud so that any of them would hear it.

No doubt they are hurting from a loss after a big effort so rightly will tell someone to do one, especially when they are talking rubbish

jimbo800 05 September, 2020 20:51
As frustrated as I am with the usual BS we have to tell us each week about finding positives, the only glimmer of hope is that we still havenít seen all our guys on the pitch at one time. Even our Ďstrongestí team so far has been missing OíBrien, Mafi, Coleman, nahalo, and Simmons. Add into the mix weíve lost the spine of the team in Franco, myler and Porecki. Itís with gritted teeth I am not giving up yet. I think we have underestimated the loss of the three guys who were our most consistent performers for the past two years. Not getting in some beef for second row has punished us. We saw in pretty much all games since lockdown that once a team gets a maul in our 22, we were going to concede. With no set peice we simply couldnít win. Our bench is considerably weaker than everyone else as well.

There is a huge drop off in talent from our first team to the back up. The likes of Cooke and donnell have done very well but are just too light to be able to resist the forward play of some of the other packs. Our young lads seem physically far smaller than some of the lads the same age in other teams. Given the size issue and consistent injuries, our conditioning department might just be unlucky or not prepping the guys as well as they should.

We should be ok for next season but yes, I agree that always losing and shipping TBPs is getting embarrassing.

Exilepaul 05 September, 2020 21:33
Quote:
jimbo800
As frustrated as I am with the usual BS we have to tell us each week about finding positives, the only glimmer of hope is that we still havenít seen all our guys on the pitch at one time. Even our Ďstrongestí team so far has been missing OíBrien, Mafi, Coleman, nahalo, and Simmons. Add into the mix weíve lost the spine of the team in Franco, myler and Porecki. Itís with gritted teeth I am not giving up yet. I think we have underestimated the loss of the three guys who were our most consistent performers for the past two years. Not getting in some beef for second row has punished us. We saw in pretty much all games since lockdown that once a team gets a maul in our 22, we were going to concede. With no set peice we simply couldnít win. Our bench is considerably weaker than everyone else as well.
There is a huge drop off in talent from our first team to the back up. The likes of Cooke and donnell have done very well but are just too light to be able to resist the forward play of some of the other packs. Our young lads seem physically far smaller than some of the lads the same age in other teams. Given the size issue and consistent injuries, our conditioning department might just be unlucky or not prepping the guys as well as they should.

We should be ok for next season but yes, I agree that always losing and shipping TBPs is getting embarrassing.

Finally someone who gets it, people take criticism of the coaches and players so personally but fail to realise people like me want the club to be the best club we can be, my personal opinion is we arent going to progress under this coaching setup ok like it or lump it. I seen Worcester and Quins calling for their coaches to be sacked because they lost 1 match this weekend.. yes today was better but we still conceded 36 points and got 0 points from the game yet again. I dont want to be that club that are patronized by pundits and commentators for not being rubbish

franciscorrigan 05 September, 2020 23:44
Defensively we are in quite good shape and it's the lack of finishing the chances that is killing us. We were in complete control of that game for long periods and let Glos off the hook. Nothing new there, we've been snatching defeat from the jaws of victory for years. A fair few positives, but again we shot ourselves in the foot with the interception and some unnecessary penalties, which gifted Glos field position they didn't earn. Looks like Kepu and Cowan picked up injuries too. Final Glos try should never have been awarded, but by then we'd already lost the match, as the Glos bench had a big impact.(Sm63)

olw131 05 September, 2020 23:54
Paul - weíve been rubbish for 10 years now, Iím surprised youíre not desensitised to it like the rest of us...

Also, weíve come a long way from our horrendous last season in the Premiership where we regularly got pasted, or the horror show relegation season under Coventry. Iíd like to think we have it together a lot more now, despite the fact that weíre probably a few coaches and a few locks short.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2020 23:55 by olw131.

Exilepaul 06 September, 2020 00:54
Quote:
olw131
Paul - weíve been rubbish for 10 years now, Iím surprised youíre not desensitised to it like the rest of us...
Also, weíve come a long way from our horrendous last season in the Premiership where we regularly got pasted, or the horror show relegation season under Coventry. Iíd like to think we have it together a lot more now, despite the fact that weíre probably a few coaches and a few locks short.

And what? We just be Rubbish for the next 10? Exeter were in the Championship 10 years ago and Bristol were in the championship 2 years ago... 2 clubs I can see dominating English Rugby for the next 5 years I just want us to compete so badly

franciscorrigan 06 September, 2020 01:48
It's taken ten years for Exeter to get to where they are and the same for Bristol, who had seven or so seasons in the Championship wilderness. Not easy to compete when our best young players are regularly poached by the likes of Bath. Can you imagine the team we would have with all of our academy alumni still here. We have always been strapped for cash given the leeches at the MadStad, where I believe we only got 1/3 of the gate receipts and it's hard to build a team without a decent income or a sugardaddy owner. Hopefully the move to Brentford will improve our finances and make us more able to acquire and retain talent. At least we aren't mega millions in debt like some clubs.
We will probably finish 9th this season, which would have kept us up even without Saracens relegation and that is better than most of the pundits predicted for us. Yes it would be great to be another Exeter, but it's not going to happen overnight. On paper, we should be really competetive next season and so we'll do as we always do: Keep on hoping.(Sm63)

Barrman 06 September, 2020 08:47
Quote:
SixNineOne
Until the 77th minute I thought the novice ref, Hamish Smales, had a pretty good game. He seemed to be consistent in his ruck interpretation (whether you agreed with it or not) and we had no scrum penalties and relatively few scrum resets. He seemed to get in the scrum halfís line of fire a little too often, but overall not too bad and way, way better than the awful Ian Tempest. Gloucesterís last try was pretty clearly a forward pass but I blame the TMO, David Rose, for that, as he made his mind up without letting Smales have a proper look at it.

I agree. Thought the referee was consistent so you can't say fairer than that. Not perfect but definitely a reasonable debut from him, I would be happy enough seeing him ref more games for us.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net