Latest news:

So, what are our expectations?
Discussion started by Cill Dara , 06 September, 2020 10:40
So, what are our expectations?
Cill Dara 06 September, 2020 10:40
Iím just asking, what do people think we will do in the next four games?

9th London Irish 29 points
London Irish v Harlequins Wed 9 Sep
London Irish v Worcester Sun 13 Sep
Exeter v London Irish Fri 18?
London Irish v Bristol Sun 4 Oct

10th Worcester 27 points
Bath v Worcester Wed 9 Sep
London Irish v Worcester Sun 13 Sep
Worcester v Saracens Fri 18?
Sale v Worcester Sun 4 Oct

11th Leicester 24 points
Wasps v Leicester Wed 9 Sep
Leicester v Northampton Sun 13 Sep
Bristol v Leicester Fri 18?
Leicester v Harlequins Sun 4 Oct

OH, there is a tour of the new stadium. The guy is a bit annoying, but give a good look at the ground.

Prisco stirpe Hibernico

Re: So, what are our expectations?
Blarney 06 September, 2020 10:54
With our recent improvement, I think we can look to beat Quins and Worcester. May even sneak one over Bristol, who are starting to creak and may be looking to save themselves for a semi-final.

I think we will stay 9th for this season (effectively 10th not accounting for Sarries). Given we were relegation favourites at the start - not too bad.

tatthecraic3 06 September, 2020 12:01
Think we will beat Worcester but rest we will lose. Maybe pick up a losing BP at quins.

I think worcester will lose all remaining games

Leicester may beat Northampton but think will lose rest of games

My expectation is its fine for this season but if I see the loses next season I will truly bwle worried

Alphacat 06 September, 2020 15:14
With the loss over Gloucester I have given up hope on 8th, so I just feel it should be more aiming for momentum to go into the next season, especially as the off-season will be significantly shorter than usual.

BaltiBoy 06 September, 2020 15:24
Quote:
Alphacat
With the loss over Gloucester I have given up hope on 8th, so I just feel it should be more aiming for momentum to go into the next season, especially as the off-season will be significantly shorter than usual.

Agree with this. I don't honestly know where our next win will come from I just hope we can scrape 1 or 2 somehow. I know some have alluded to these games being dead rubbers but we can't continue to have our confidence pummelled time and time again. We must go into next season with some confidence, even if it's just a bit.

Cheers & Beers
BB

SixNineOne 06 September, 2020 16:33
Exeter and Bristol - no chance! I also think weíll struggle against Quins on Wednesday, as theyíll put out their best team and will be playing at the Stoop. If Marcus Smith is on song, heíll cut us to pieces. This means that our ďhomeĒ game against Worcester is our best chance and thatís the one Iíd be targeting. If we win that one, we might avoid 11th.

Exile_Dave 06 September, 2020 16:48
Quote:
SixNineOne
Exeter and Bristol - no chance! I also think weíll struggle against Quins on Wednesday, as theyíll put out their best team and will be playing at the Stoop. If Marcus Smith is on song, heíll cut us to pieces. This means that our ďhomeĒ game against Worcester is our best chance and thatís the one Iíd be targeting. If we win that one, we might avoid 11th.

Marcus Smith was average the last time we played Queens just a few months ago.

Exilepaul 06 September, 2020 17:04
Brentford is top class
The playing group is average
The coaching group are poor

Put simply

SixNineOne 06 September, 2020 19:04
Glad to see Brentford managed to squeeze out a win on penalties (against Wycombe Wanderers !) at the new stadium...

tatthecraic3 06 September, 2020 21:21
Quote:
Exilepaul
Brentford is top class
The playing group is average
The coaching group are poor

Put simply

Great sound bite

You know nothing John snow

Exilepaul 06 September, 2020 23:47
Can see Tigers getting around 10 points from their 4 games, Worcester will rest their team against Bath and go full throttle to beat us and I think they'll beat Saracens who will be deflated after getting beat by Leinster and their season will be over and play the kids, we arent getting anything against Chiefs *unless they rotate for Europe* and Bris maybe 1 point and surely we cant beat Quins for a 4th time in a row in the league? Personally I think we'll finish 11th which means we would have been 12th and be relegated in a normal season. No matter if we finish 9th, 10th or 11th we need to get realistic and say this season has been underwhelming to put this season into perspective Newcastle got relegated with 31 points last season we currently have 29.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2020 00:01 by Exilepaul.

LI Bohemian 06 September, 2020 23:57
Quote:
Exilepaul
Can see Tigers getting 8-10 points from their 4 games, Worcester will rest their team against Bath and go full throttle to beat us and I think they'll beat Saracens who will be deflated after getting beat by Leinster and play the kids, we arent getting anything against Chiefs or Bris maybe 1 point surely we cant beat Quins again can we hmm? Personally I think we'll finish 11th

So to sum it up Tiger's and Worcester 8 points minimum and Irish 1 point.

SteveS 07 September, 2020 00:41
I mean itís plausible we could win one game, probably Worcester. But I actually think we are finding new ways to lose now, such is the collapse in self belief, so that game will be instructive

SixNineOne 07 September, 2020 09:05
Most of us seem to be setting the bar pretty low, which is perhaps not very surprising if youíve been supporting this club for a long time. But it does make me wonder what it feels like to support a team that consistently wins. Iíve got friends who are long term Exeter supporters. Initially they felt a sense of wonderment, first at premiership survival and then at their steady progress up the league. Nowadays, they feel a quiet confidence that their team will win and, bar they odd occasion, they do. Part of me thinks that must take away some of the excitement! In a perverse way I enjoy the agony of uncertainty as we head into matches. The disappointment of losing is a well trodden feeling, while the thrill of victory is all the sweeter for its rarity. The matches at the Ricoh and Franklinís Gardens this season gave me an amazing feeling - far better, IĎm sure, than the satisfaction Exeter supporters get when they thrash us. Even at our peak, I always felt that we would manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and there were still bogey teams such as Tigers and Scarlets whom we could never beat. if Iím honest, Iím not sure I would ever want to lose the dread of uncertainty before a match, but I wouldnít mind feeling the thrill of victory a little more often...

PV 07 September, 2020 10:18
Sadly 691 - with ringfencing much of that excitement you refer to goes.

As for expectations this season - we'd have taken survival before the Saracens debacle.

I'm disappointed that we have:

- a consistently strange recruitment strategy - spend big, get limited value as half signings are knackered or beyond their prime or both
- no discernible approach to the game, and if there is, its clearly not working
- complete lack of depth in 2nd row and centres - how long have we been saying this for?

Winning is a habit - so is losing. We lose a lot, we will lose a lot more. Who is going to stand up, lead and reverse that trend in the current squad.

Also - how on earth can we be spending up to the cap and yet uncompetitive vs Sale for example.

HMRH 07 September, 2020 10:48
PV - re your comments on the recruitment strategy. Who do you mean? Half the signings are past it or knackered - who do you mean? Specifically please say which players you mean. Itís a theme for me at the moment - if weíre saying x isnít up to it say who you mean letís not be shy then we can debate the statement.

PV 07 September, 2020 12:05
Really.? The list is as obvious as it is exhaustive!!!

GHA 07 September, 2020 12:57
Quote:
HMRH
PV - re your comments on the recruitment strategy. Who do you mean? Half the signings are past it or knackered - who do you mean? Specifically please say which players you mean. Itís a theme for me at the moment - if weíre saying x isnít up to it say who you mean letís not be shy then we can debate the statement.

Who would you guess our top six earners are HMRH?

Warrior7 07 September, 2020 13:34
Quote:
SixNineOne
Most of us seem to be setting the bar pretty low, which is perhaps not very surprising if youíve been supporting this club for a long time. But it does make me wonder what it feels like to support a team that consistently wins. Iíve got friends who are long term Exeter supporters. Initially they felt a sense of wonderment, first at premiership survival and then at their steady progress up the league. Nowadays, they feel a quiet confidence that their team will win and, bar they odd occasion, they do. Part of me thinks that must take away some of the excitement! In a perverse way I enjoy the agony of uncertainty as we head into matches. The disappointment of losing is a well trodden feeling, while the thrill of victory is all the sweeter for its rarity. The matches at the Ricoh and Franklinís Gardens this season gave me an amazing feeling - far better, IĎm sure, than the satisfaction Exeter supporters get when they thrash us. Even at our peak, I always felt that we would manage to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and there were still bogey teams such as Tigers and Scarlets whom we could never beat. if Iím honest, Iím not sure I would ever want to lose the dread of uncertainty before a match, but I wouldnít mind feeling the thrill of victory a little more often...

Rings very true as a Wuss fan too - although we didn't really have a 'peak' (Sm105)

I'd like to think we would be pretty up for the game against you guys, although we always seemed to struggle playing in the Mad. Can't see us winning at Bath unless there's a miracle, although Sarries might be a possibility if they are playing the kids.

Think you guys will beat Quins midweek.

Good luck (apart from the weekend) for the rest of the season!

tatthecraic2 07 September, 2020 14:09
Quote:
PV
Sadly 691 - with ringfencing much of that excitement you refer to goes.
As for expectations this season - we'd have taken survival before the Saracens debacle.

I'm disappointed that we have:

- a consistently strange recruitment strategy - spend big, get limited value as half signings are knackered or beyond their prime or both
- no discernible approach to the game, and if there is, its clearly not working
- complete lack of depth in 2nd row and centers - how long have we been saying this for?

Winning is a habit - so is losing. We lose a lot, we will lose a lot more. Who is going to stand up, lead and reverse that trend in the current squad.

Also - how on earth can we be spending up to the cap and yet uncompetitive vs Sale for example.

Agree we have always been unlucky or stupid with our recruitment. but i feel that what we've attempted is the below:-

Recruitment - we've tried to bring in born winners used to being up the leagues. we call SOB billy big balls as he hasn't backed it up but he will have an expectation of winning and will hate losing. the idea being he and the other internationals will not let low performances slide and will up effort and will to win no one will be "ah well, we're london irish, we expect this"

game plan - is obvious i feel.

attack - quick ball through FH to either first wave runners or out the back to second wave runners to either

1. first wave runners take contact for quick ball on the next phase. slowing down the spread of defense and making gaps further out.

2. second wave runners get the ball quickly outside of the press defense (if you look at Glouc intercept try by Poledri, if we hadn't got caught there we had FB, OC,WG all loaded wide and no Gloucester defense.

the idea being we break down the wing as far as we can go, either making space for an inside ball to a tracking SH or a quick ruck and spread the ball back over to Tuisue / Cowan in the middle of the field where defense should be shakey.

lack of depth - dear god yes we have a lack of depth. - but, i have the most small smidgen of hope after watching Chunya Munga and Nott had a cracker against Gloucester... maybe there is something there to be developed...

Chunya for me has the feel of Maro about him... i think he could really flourish if he plays week in week out.

you can't coach the sheer aggression he and Issac Curtis Harris had against Sarries.

HMRH 07 September, 2020 14:11
Not answered the question though.

Iíd guess:
Coleman
SOB
Naholo
Simmons
Kepu
Jackson

Been great and sensible to have op before next season
Came back from injury and club knowingly took the risk - why risk it this season?
Also had op
On way
Hardly played and often takes SH players a while to adjust
Hitting his stride after injury

I donít think any of them are knackered or past it

GHA 07 September, 2020 14:35
No, I wasn't answering the question but instead going off on a slight tangent I'm afraid, thinking about recruitment strategy

echidna 07 September, 2020 17:12
Quote:
tatthecraic2
we call SOB billy big balls

No we don't ...... that's Shawshank (though not to Sean in person I suspect) with his obsession with "clever" nicknames for players he doesn't like

PV 07 September, 2020 17:22
Quote:
HMRH
Not answered the question though.
Iíd guess:
Coleman
SOB
Naholo
Simmons
Kepu
Jackson

Been great and sensible to have op before next season
Came back from injury and club knowingly took the risk - why risk it this season?

Also had op
On way
Hardly played and often takes SH players a while to adjust
Hitting his stride after injury

I donít think any of them are knackered or past it

Good for you. I

How may total games have they played since being signed?

Shawshank 07 September, 2020 19:25
Echidna - I wouldnít call it an obsession - itís only been Show Pony and BBB hasnít it?

But maybe on the strange spreadsheet you keep of my postings, you will be able to come up with some more...? (Sm105)

AlecW 07 September, 2020 20:14
Thereís a new nickname for your collection Shankers:

Monotrematan Stalker...! (Sm100)

(Sm128)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2020 20:15 by AlecW.

M51 07 September, 2020 20:51
It took me a lttle research but I finally understood the monotrematan description. Anyway I keep my expectations low and therefore get very excited when we win. I am not renewing my season ticket but hope to travel to Brentford for a few games and the occasional away games. Hopefully Irish can pull out of this dismal period and shine again. Like sixnineone that thrill of victory on back of a losing run really is a lot richer and sticks in my fading memory a long longer.
COYI

Shawshank 07 September, 2020 21:09
Interesting Alec...

Apparently the elusive animal possesses a 4 headed penis! (Sm2)

AlecW 07 September, 2020 21:25
Ah - a quadruple d!ckhead then, would you say...?

(Sm12)

HMRH 08 September, 2020 09:01
Jackson had only played 10 games
Coleman 8
Kepu 8
Naholo 4
SOB 2

Coleman massive before Covid disruption.
Kepu will get better and better I think / NH referees and feeling way into the club country and game over here
Naholo will be fully fit as will SOB and then we can see.
Jackson will settle and keep improving

Of them all maybe SOB was a gamble but probably worth it if it comes off.

GHA 08 September, 2020 09:51
Quote:
HMRH
Jackson had only played 10 games
Coleman 8
Kepu 8
Naholo 4
SOB 2

Coleman massive before Covid disruption.
Kepu will get better and better I think / NH referees and feeling way into the club country and game over here
Naholo will be fully fit as will SOB and then we can see.
Jackson will settle and keep improving

Of them all maybe SOB was a gamble but probably worth it if it comes off.

I don't agree with the knackered and past it comments (yet) but I would question whether we are getting value for money and 'spending up to the cap' wisely

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net