Latest news:

Uncontested scrums - lose a player
Discussion started by Jonny_C , 08 September, 2020 23:20
Uncontested scrums - lose a player
Jonny_C 08 September, 2020 23:20
Must have missed this new law, just watched two matches recently Quins/Bath and Bears/Saints; both have had uncontested scrums.

When was this law/rule introduced?
Has my holiday been that long....?

Re: Uncontested scrums - lose a player
franciscorrigan 08 September, 2020 23:57
They have been doing that for years in the French Top 14, but I'm not sure when it came into force here. We don't see uncontested scrums much in the Prem, but obviously with the squad rotations and more inexperienced players it's more likely. (Sm63)

Iron Lung 09 September, 2020 09:47
I think that if the front row players go off for head injuries/concussion the loss of a player doesn't come into effect.

Heaf 09 September, 2020 10:35
Yep - that's why Wasps stayed at 15 at the weekend, but Saints dropped to 14 last night .... although it sounded like Wayne Barnes who was TMO last night had to remind the ref as you could hear him asking what the injury to the prop was ...

CharlieG 09 September, 2020 11:04
I'm sure that this came in when they increased the no of subs from 7 to 8, and insisted on 3 front row subs rather than just 2.

I seem to remember that before this change, there were a significant number of matches going to uncontested scrums, and that there were accusations of teams faking injuries to protect a weaker scrum.

Lazyboy346 09 September, 2020 12:29
As Charlie mentioned this came in for the 09/10 season with the addition of the extra bench spot for a third compulsory front rower: [www.skysports.com]

Before then, there were a surprising number of instances of Wasps (notable amongst those affected) being munched in the scrums (especially in the play offs) then losing a front rower to a mysterious injury. They could then bring on a back rower as the replacement and often went on to win games once uncontested scrums started.

Since this change, most teams haven't had to go to uncontested scrums or if so it's usually late in game. Ironically Wasps were legitimately affected last week by clear injuries at hooker and their prop was rightly allowed to decline to provide emergency cover having not played there in a long time.

Heaf 09 September, 2020 14:20
The only thing I wonder is if he would have declined if the injury to the hooker had not been a head injury and they would then have had to lose a player ...

Florida 09 September, 2020 17:20
Lets be very clear here he did not initially decline. Wayne Barnes asked if he was able to play the role of the hooker and he said he'd give it a go, Barnes then stated no you can't just give it a go. A discussion then followed and he eventually declined on the basis that he hadn't played in the position for three years.

SixNineOne 09 September, 2020 17:25
It was pretty clear that he was being advised to decline by someone off camera...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net