Current Page: 1 of 2
Irish v Quins match thread
Discussion started by Exilepaul , 09 September, 2020 18:59
Irish v Quins match thread
Exilepaul 09 September, 2020 18:59
Hopefully its competitive unlike all the other games

Re: Irish v Quins match thread
jimbo800 09 September, 2020 19:09
The other results are proving that we havenít done too badly in terms of points conceded, some bigger teams are getting pasted. It also shows weíre not the only ones sacrificing wins for squad game time.

CharlieG 09 September, 2020 19:33
Anyone got any idea what time the BT program starts?

Logged in and now listening to some very weird music.

franciscorrigan 09 September, 2020 19:44
on now(Sm63)

Shawshank 09 September, 2020 19:52
2 great line out steals by Donnell.

Too easy for Smith to waltz over though...

Shawshank 09 September, 2020 19:55
3 times idiot commentator has mistaken IC-H for poor old Munga

Exilepaul 09 September, 2020 19:56
Baldwin is having a mare

HK Phooey 09 September, 2020 20:00
Good scrum and try

Shawshank 09 September, 2020 20:00
Great try and conversion

Blarney 09 September, 2020 20:02
Some of these academy forwards are going to be great players. We have to keep them...

Nick4219 09 September, 2020 20:02
Atkins playing well so far.

Jonny_C 09 September, 2020 20:04
Scott Steele in the bin, nasty clash of heads with two Quins players. Lots of red stuff

HK Phooey 09 September, 2020 20:05
Does feel like home advantage is working for us

Blarney 09 September, 2020 20:08
Cooke getting into Baldwin's head at the lineout - love it

Griff 09 September, 2020 20:11
Big Lads On The HOOF! Woop!

Shawshank 09 September, 2020 20:12
Fab try!

Easily the best 25 mins we have produced since lockdown.

Our youngsters are showing the way forward.

Heaf 09 September, 2020 20:14
Any idea what the pen before their try was for?

Blarney 09 September, 2020 20:15
Quote:
Heaf
Any idea what the pen before their try was for?

Atkins high tackle on Steele (marginal)

Griff 09 September, 2020 20:15
He said high-tackle. Didn't think so myself (and their turn-over looked surprisingly on the ground)

Shawshank 09 September, 2020 20:15
High tackle I think

Lazyboy346 09 September, 2020 20:15
High tackle on Steele. Ref said he saw a high arm but not sure which of the three tacklers it was

RWesty17 09 September, 2020 20:18
He pointed at Atkins. Marginal but fair call I think

Florida 09 September, 2020 20:21
He simply said one of you three were definitely high

Jonny_C 09 September, 2020 20:25
Someone give Meehan a strong cup of coffee, he is so slow distributing at the breakdown and scrum.

I think he my need glasses as he takes sooooo long looking around for options 😀

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2020 20:27 by Jonny_C.

RWesty17 09 September, 2020 20:29
Canít see anywhere how that is an Irish knock on first

Heaf 09 September, 2020 20:29
Is Luke Pearce boss-eyed - how was that a knock-on by Irish?

Lazyboy346 09 September, 2020 20:30
Whatever else happens, the meltdown on the Quins forum is entertaining.

Does seem like the two front row internationals (Dell and Baldwin) are having the worst games out of anyone. Given we've struggled at mauls, competing at the lineout seems a no brainer but this is the first time we've regularly tried it.

RWesty17 09 September, 2020 20:30
Cracking tackle OHC

Heaf 09 September, 2020 20:30
Ref has even overruled him once for trying to short-change Irish on a line-out position ...

Lazyboy346 09 September, 2020 20:32
Baffling inability to see things from Mr Pearce aside, I believe this is both the longest we've been ahead in a game since lockdown and the first time we've led at half time.

cjm. 09 September, 2020 20:33

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2020 20:38 by cjm..

AlecW 09 September, 2020 20:33
Wonderful try-saving tackle by OH-C, tho the afters was a bit of silly over exuberance by us and unnecessary stupidity by Chisholm...

Blarney 09 September, 2020 20:34
Half time.

Great effort all round. Cooke, Donnell and Curtis-Harris are putting it about, Munga is carrying well and Stokes is having a good game. Great hit from OHC at the end.

Meehan seems to be less concerned with gobbing off today, which is good. But, as mentioned above, he needs to get the ball out quicker.

AlecW 09 September, 2020 20:34
ĎTwas Luke Pearce that called the Irish-knock-on-that-wasnít

AlecW 09 September, 2020 20:36
Blarney - perhaps it would be more apposite to say Ďless slowlyí...?

GAWD he is slow...!!!

(Sm128)

Heaf 09 September, 2020 20:36
Quote:
RWesty17
Cracking tackle OHC

Sure was - and I'd have been furious if they'd scored as a result of that appalling knock-on call from Mr Magoo on the touch-line. It was bad enough having a potential attacking position of our own denied.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2020 20:36 by Heaf.

Heaf 09 September, 2020 20:37
Quote:
cjm.
Quote:
Heaf
Is Luke Pearce boss-eyed - how was that a knock-on by Irish?

Think it was an assistant that called it.

Pearce is the assistant ...

M51 09 September, 2020 20:40
James Stokes can really leather a ball. I never realised that he is quite a powerhouse. Well done OHC great tackle and reminded me of Paul Hodgson try saving tackle a few years back (okay maybe a lot of years back).

Blarney 09 September, 2020 20:43
Quote:
M51
James Stokes can really leather a ball. I never realised that he is quite a powerhouse. Well done OHC great tackle and reminded me of Paul Hodgson try saving tackle a few years back (okay maybe a lot of years back).

You know, apart from his very first game, I can't think of a bad performance he's turned in. Solid in defence, decent under the high ball, good kicker and surprisingly effective in attack.

Are we keeping him into next year?

Nick4219 09 September, 2020 20:44
Quote:
AlecW
Wonderful try-saving tackle by OH-C, tho the afters was a bit of silly over exuberance by us and unnecessary stupidity by Chisholm...

Nothing wrong with what the Irish boys did

Shawshank 09 September, 2020 20:53
Some really nice movement there. Phil Cís handling is a tad dodgy...

RWesty17 09 September, 2020 20:54
Yeah he definitely has a bad case of the butter fingers in this game. Have seen him perform a lot better

AlecW 09 September, 2020 20:55
Damn!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2020 20:56 by AlecW.

Blarney 09 September, 2020 20:55
Should never have let that try happen

RWesty17 09 September, 2020 20:56
Well that is frustrating, but got to applaud Quins for that try.

AlecW 09 September, 2020 20:56
Defence wasnít great

AlecW 09 September, 2020 21:00
Didnít see what happened to Earle...?

Blarney 09 September, 2020 21:01
Quote:
AlecW
Didnít see what happened to Earle...?

Phil C caught him in the head with his shin. Accidental

Shawshank 09 September, 2020 21:06
Lads seem to be tiring. Need a few forward replacements on.

Blarney 09 September, 2020 21:06
We need to not panic. There's plenty of time to get up the pitch and score

Nick4219 09 September, 2020 21:07
Two forward passes missed

Steve Sydney 09 September, 2020 21:09
Just getting up in Sydney and enjoying the notes on what should be a good game

AlecW 09 September, 2020 21:09
Dropping off too many tackles...

RWesty17 09 September, 2020 21:12
Marcus Smith has certainly turned up this half annoyingly. Need to get out of our half

JGReturns 09 September, 2020 21:13
Is holding a player up in a tackle not a thing any more? Few times weíve held a guy up and the ref has told us not to, Iíve not followed rugby super closely in recent years so has the rule changed?

RWesty17 09 September, 2020 21:14
Quote:
JGReturns
Is holding a player up in a tackle not a thing any more? Few times weíve held a guy up and the ref has told us not to, Iíve not followed rugby super closely in recent years so has the rule changed?

As soon as a knee touches a floor then it is tackle complete and you have to release

Griff 09 September, 2020 21:14
No he;s actually reffing it right (for a change) once the knee hits the ground he's down and you have to release.

JGReturns 09 September, 2020 21:16
Okay fair enough! Guess it does speed up the game

Griff 09 September, 2020 21:17
Wow, defence has just vanished this half.

RWesty17 09 September, 2020 21:20
That has really annoyed me! The amount of simple things that we have failed to do in the second half of the season is unbelievable.

Exilepaul 09 September, 2020 21:20
Game over. Another 5 points handed out to the opposition, another 2nd half where we havent turned up and I'm telling you our coaching is complete trash.

M51 09 September, 2020 21:20
Irish getting sloppy and nothing new in their tactics. The Hairy Queens look to have the upper hand. Where is the head coach, plenty of views of Dec but nothing of Les. Pity there is no game changers to bring on. Iam now moving into sad mode, good that the youngsters giving it a good go. COYI

Griff 09 September, 2020 21:20
Has this ref ever seen a scrum before? Again Quins front-row loses their footing and it's a penalty against us.

AlecW 09 September, 2020 21:25
Englefield has a lovely fast (FAST...!!!) delivery

RWesty17 09 September, 2020 21:26
Another basic mistake

M51 09 September, 2020 21:28
Too many penalties Irish, time for miracle or two.

Blarney 09 September, 2020 21:30
That scrum penalty was nonsense. The quins tight head just refused to engage and waved his arms around till Carley gave the pen

Heaf 09 September, 2020 21:31
Yep thought that too - another pen gone the wrong way

Blarney 09 September, 2020 21:33
Ref calls set and quins don't engage. They're trying to con the ref...and it will probably work

Heaf 09 September, 2020 21:33
Quins popped up first then too .. scrum officiating has been abysmal ..

cjm. 09 September, 2020 21:34
Our scrum hasn't made a case though. It's all Quins.

Heaf 09 September, 2020 21:35
And that inside pass was forwards ...

M51 09 September, 2020 21:36
OHC now srumming as flanker and Tom Engerfield hobbling around the pitch. Dec D seems very cheerful and doesnt seem to have a lot of interest in the outcome. Not sure I understand or like the mentality.

Griff 09 September, 2020 21:36
So, high tackle on our right wing , missed by sir, called by TMO but then ignored by sir....

Florida 09 September, 2020 21:39
Quote:
Blarney
Ref calls set and quins don't engage. They're trying to con the ref...and it will probably work

Apparently that was Englefields fault for being too loud and Quins couldn't hear the ref.

Shawshank 09 September, 2020 21:40
No disgrace, lots of positives from the youngsters.

Lack of power and strength showed in the second half.

Much better to now stick with these lads rather than splurge any more cash on aging carpetbaggers from outside seeking a fat pension.

Heaf 09 September, 2020 21:43
Some very poor officiating again unfortunately ... knock-ons called wrongly, missed high tackles, forward passes and ref no idea in the scrums ...

M51 09 September, 2020 21:46
When you are on the back foot the officials seem to have your card marked. And to be fair Irish were pretty woeful in the second half. The best team won, I appreciate blooding the youngsters, but letting the young lads get a pasting to me is all wrong. Surely the team selction should be more focussed on bringing on a few stronger substitutes and not more sacrificial lambs. Its going to be interesting to see how this season pans out and how many of the new generation want to stay.

franciscorrigan 09 September, 2020 21:53
Youngsters did well but ran out of steam. Not a surprise, didn't expect anything else. Carley made some very odd decisions. We gave away too many scrum penalties, some of which were rather dubious and that cost us again. I can't understand why we don't challenge at the lineout when it's on our five metre line. We can't stop any teams maul, but at least a lineout steal is a possibility. Scoreline very flattering to Quins.(Sm63)

The Donegal Devil 09 September, 2020 21:56
Different day same Sh**te, No leadership, no passion, no strategy, no ability to adapt, zero game management ability & as for the coaching don't get me started. Kidney is the Mourinho of Rugby coaching way past his sell by date & totally irrelevant to the modern game.
We have the look of a team that is beaten as soon as we run on to the pitch, shocking.

And don't give me any@#$%&about getting ready for next season. you need to build a 'culture' at a club & there is absoulutely no evidence of that in any shape or form. Look at the impact of Spencer at Bath already, yes he came from Salarycens but his attitude & desire are completely there for all to see. Leadership & a desire to win. Same to a an extent with Isekwe playing at Northampton, same attitude & desire to win.

Florida 09 September, 2020 21:57
Quote:
franciscorrigan
Youngsters did well but ran out of steam. Not a surprise, didn't expect anything else. Carley made some very odd decisions. We gave away too many scrum penalties, some of which were rather dubious and that cost us again. I can't understand why we don't challenge at the lineout when it's on our five metre line. We can't stop any teams maul, but at least a lineout steal is a possibility. Scoreline very flattering to Quins.(Sm63)

Only way to improve your maul defence is to try to defend a maul.

shimmieandshake 09 September, 2020 21:58
Quote:
Blarney
Quote:
M51

You know, apart from his very first game, I can't think of a bad performance he's turned in. Solid in defence, decent under the high ball, good kicker and surprisingly effective in attack.

Are we keeping him into next year?

Couldn't agree more with this. Solid in defence, some really nice touches of attacking flair too. Hope we're keeping him.

shimmieandshake 09 September, 2020 21:59
Quote:
The Donegal Devil
Different day same Sh**te, No leadership, no passion, no strategy, no ability to adapt, zero game management ability & as for the coaching don't get me started. Kidney is the Mourinho of Rugby coaching way past his sell by date & totally irrelevant to the modern game.
We have the look of a team that is beaten as soon as we run on to the pitch, shocking.

And don't give me any@#$%&about getting ready for next season. you need to build a 'culture' at a club & there is absoulutely no evidence of that in any shape or form. Look at the impact of Spencer at Bath already, yes he came from Salarycens but his attitude & desire are completely there for all to see. Leadership & a desire to win. Same to a an extent with Isekwe playing at Northampton, same attitude & desire to win.

Hi, Paul.

Exilepaul 09 September, 2020 22:01
We either sign a @#$%& ton of world stars for next season or we are 100% getting relegated with this coaching setup

Exilepaul 09 September, 2020 22:03
Quote:
shimmieandshake
Quote:
The Donegal Devil

Hi, Paul.

That genuinely wasnt me

The Donegal Devil 09 September, 2020 22:04
My name is not Paul & who are you?

And what is "Hi Paul" supposed to mean?

paddym 09 September, 2020 22:08
Can someone tell me how Dell is an international prop? Jacob Atkins nowhere near being a Premiership player. Cokanasiga obviously beset by nerves. Neal carried well in first half but anonymous in second half. Men against boys in second half, all you had to do was look at difference in size between the Quins No 8 and both of ours.

Also what is our legend Dec Ds role these days other than a very expensive water boy?

Beginning to maybe agree with queries on Dec Ks coaching?

GHA 09 September, 2020 22:10
Quote:
The Donegal Devil
My name is not Paul & who are you?
And what is "Hi Paul" supposed to mean?

Everyone who suddenly joins the board to do nothing but @#$%& on the team gets called Paul. You probably didn't know that because you only joined this evening. Welcome to the board Paul!

paddym 09 September, 2020 22:17
Quote:
Jonny_C
Someone give Meehan a strong cup of coffee, he is so slow distributing at the breakdown and scrum.
I think he my need glasses as he takes sooooo long looking around for options 😀

Have to disagree, thought Ben was v good today and with his ability to kick from both feet took a lot of pressure from Jacob Atkins(luckily).

M51 09 September, 2020 22:18
On the Spartacus theme then " I am Paul". My apologies to all you Pauls out there.

GHA 09 September, 2020 22:21
You joined the board four years ago though M51...

The Donegal Devil 09 September, 2020 22:22
Well there you go, that explains a lot as to the mediocrity & lack of ability to acknowledge the reality of what's happening regarding the club.

I did not come here to 'sh**' on the team, please point out to me where I mentioned or insulted an individual team player! If you had read the post properly you would have understood that the problem is a collective culture problem at the club being presided over by a clearly incompetent management & coaching structure.

Again my name is not Paul & you will need to up your game when replying to me, I've coached at a high level & it breaks my heart to see Irish getting humiliated week after week. If you want to continue to wallow in pathetic mediocrity be my guest, other than that point out constructively where I was wrong in my original post

Exilepaul 09 September, 2020 22:31
Quote:
The Donegal Devil
Well there you go, that explains a lot as to the mediocrity & lack of ability to acknowledge the reality of what's happening regarding the club.
I did not come here to 'sh**' on the team, please point out to me where I mentioned or insulted an individual team player! If you had read the post properly you would have understood that the problem is a collective culture problem at the club being presided over by a clearly incompetent management & coaching structure.

Again my name is not Paul & you will need to up your game when replying to me, I've coached at a high level & it breaks my heart to see Irish getting humiliated week after week. If you want to continue to wallow in pathetic mediocrity be my guest, other than that point out constructively where I was wrong in my original post

You've come to the wrong place unfortunately pal we could lose 100-0 and people will still say it was a good performance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2020 22:32 by Exilepaul.

Nick4219 09 September, 2020 22:32
Quote:
The Donegal Devil

Maybe you can offer your high level coaching abilities rather than lowering yourself to be conversing with us plebs on a message board

GHA 09 September, 2020 22:34
Quote:
Nick4219
Quote:
The Donegal Devil

Maybe you can offer your high level coaching abilities rather than lowering yourself to be conversing with us plebs on a message board

Perhaps he meant up a mountain

shimmieandshake 09 September, 2020 22:42
Quote:
The Donegal Devil
Different day same Sh**te, No leadership, no passion, no strategy, no ability to adapt, zero game management ability
We have the look of a team that is beaten as soon as we run on to the pitch, shocking..

So, just to clarify, DD - this isn't sh%&$ing on the team because you didn't name individuals? You're clearly a logical, reasonable chap.

Shawshank 09 September, 2020 22:43
Mr Devil, Iím the first to call out underperformance, but I canít see how you can say we were humiliated today, or last week.

Even the commentator said the score flattened Quins, and they had an overwhelmingly more experienced and physically stronger team than we did.

The youngsters will learn masses from these games, and if the coaches stick with them from now on Iím sure that itís a better plan than us, season after season, bringing in mercenaries from abroad.

Florida 09 September, 2020 22:45
I used to be a high level coach like you Paul, then I took an arrow to the knee

M51 09 September, 2020 23:09
We now need to focus on the Worcester game or just ignore it as an irrelavance. My love for Irish and positivity is slowly being eroded. I thought lockdown was hard to bear but I am struggling with Irish team selection and tactics. Do we have an attack coach or is Les Kiss both head coach and attack coach. why am I asking this question. Is it because we dont hear from Irish on coaches and strategies and match outcomes. Lockdown may go on for some time and Irish need a positive future team plan rather than exposing youngsters to high loss games. I guess now is not the time to dwell on this and so i will sleep on it and wait for more qualified responses from our members. Or maybe the coaching team will let us know their strategy. I really love the words hope and faith so maybe in the next few days all will become clear for the Irish strategy. Good luck Irish and all you stalwart supporters.
Michael

LI Bohemian 09 September, 2020 23:13
Quote:
The Donegal Devil

Dear "not Paul"

I'm sorry for my mediocrity and lack of ability to acknowledge the reality to whatever is going wrong and all that.
If there is a perceived management problem do you have any candidates to replace the management to stop us wallowing in pathetic mediocrity, as you say, or is it, as it seems to come across a thinly vailed way to rub it in, regarding the bad form we have been experiencing since lock down.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net