Latest news:

A few facts
Discussion started by Exilepaul , 09 September, 2020 22:56
A few facts
Exilepaul 09 September, 2020 22:56
I'm not going to rant and rave because I'm tired, but I thought I'd just state a few facts and let you make your own minds up about where we are going as a club

*Our last win was on 22nd February yep you read that right 22nd February.

*We've picked 2 points from the last 40 available (no club has less)

*We are the only club not to have won a match since lockdown

*In our last 3 "home" games in the 2nd half we have scored an amazing total of 0 points in 2 hours of rugby

* We've have given opposition 4 try bonus 5 point wins in 7 of our last 8 games

*We currently have 29 points Newcastle got relegated with 31 last season with us reportedly spent up to the salary cap

*We have currently the worst defence in the league

Lets see people try to defend this..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2020 23:04 by Exilepaul.

Re: A few facts
GHA 09 September, 2020 23:01
Well done and thanks Paul, fascinating stuff

Nick4219 09 September, 2020 23:03
Quote:
Exilepaul
I'm not going to rant and rave because I'm tired, but I thought I'd just state a few facts and let you make your own minds up about where we are going as a club
*Our last win was on 22nd February yep you read that right 22nd February.

*We've picked 2 points from the last 40 available (no club has less)

*We are the only club not to have won a match since lockdown

* We've have given opposition 4 try bonus 5 point wins in 7 of our last 8 games

*We currently have 29 points Newcastle got relegated with 31 last season with us reportedly spent up to the salary cap

*We have currently the worst defence in the league

None of this matters this season!

What matters is getting the majority of the team that started todayís game to develop and able to make a significant contribution to our strongest available squad next year.

GHA 09 September, 2020 23:14
A positive flip side, Nick, is now is a good time to find out who isn't good enough as well as finding out who is...

Bazzo 09 September, 2020 23:17
In fairness..... It is all Factual.

Does it matter who you put out in a team? If they are paid up players, then you should be good enough. If you have paid up to the salary cap then you should especially have a good squad. Do not think that we will finish in the dreaded 11th spot, but if we do not win a game post lockdown then that is unacceptable for me. If you have spent the maximum allowed, you should be very competitive, whoever is in the team. Whoever has spent that money has a job to make us competitive.

Cannot for the life of me understand how people adopt the attitude that it does not matter....... how can it not matter? When you put 15 players on the pitch, it should matter. It should matter a lot.

GHA 09 September, 2020 23:24
All games are equal but some games are more equal than others, Bazzo. Tonight's game mattered but not quite as much as the Premiership Final or the Heineken semi or the Ealing final last season...

Nick4219 09 September, 2020 23:28
Quote:
GHA
A positive flip side, Nick, is now is a good time to find out who isn't good enough as well as finding out who is...

Well, yes. This run of games will show up who can jump up to the first team for next year, certainly Jack Cooke seems to be making a strong case. Saw improvements from Jacob Atkins tonight. These are still young lads of between 19-22 tonight so still have time to get better. Also, in a weird way, a lot of great players are borne out of knowing what losing feels like and can eventually turn those experiences around.

I think it will also give us an idea of who to cut for next year which may leave room to bring in other players or the next batch of Academy lads to come through.

cjm. 09 September, 2020 23:35
I think the misery comes because those here have been here so many times before. That said in past times we didn't have the money for big signings so it was slightly more understandable.

franciscorrigan 10 September, 2020 01:26
Another "fact". Historically in the Prem we win 2 out of every 5 matches, which is why we approach every game as supporters with apprehension and low expectations. When we win it's so much more satisfying. Before lockdown and the literal decimation of our squad, we had had some great wins and some appalling defeats. Since lockdown we've had no opportunity to put out a genuinely competitive side. There are stll a few green shoots of hope forcing their way out of the slough of despond though. That's what supporting Irish is all about, the triumph of hope over experience.
If that isn't to your taste, you can always start supporting another team.(Sm63)

peejay 10 September, 2020 07:13
Thanks Paul, not happy reading. Interesting that our 'top coaching team' seem absolved of any responsibility. Its almost 2 seasons in, and I can't see much progress in defence or attacking threat. In the days of the '5 year plan' this would have been unacceptable

GHA 10 September, 2020 07:17
How did you think we were doing with regards to defence or attacking threat before lockdown, peejay?

SixNineOne 10 September, 2020 08:47
Thinking about our capabilities pre-lockdown, Iíd look at our defence under two headings. The first is defensive organisation which is all about having players standing in the right place and making their tackles. In this aspect I think we made some pretty good progress, albeit from an alarmingly low base! The second is what Iíd call muscle, which is our ability to to stand up to being bullied off the pitch, as happened, for example, against Bath and Sale. Pre-lockdown we looked fragile, post lockdown weíve looked featherweight. As for attacking threat, Iím afraid it was generally absent pre-lockdown (apart from a few bright spots like OHCís four against Gloucester) and has remained absent since then. Running at a well organised wall of defence and hoping you might break through manifestly doesnít work and we desperately need a bit more imagination in our attacking shape.

GHA 10 September, 2020 08:55
Quote:
As for attacking threat, Iím afraid it was generally absent pre-lockdown (apart from a few bright spots like OHCís four against Gloucester)

Three tries against Wasps, five against Leicester, seven against Bayonne, three away at Bristol, four against Exeter, four against Harlequins, OHC's four against Gloucester, and four against Wasps. I think you're being a bit harsh on the attacking side

SimonG19 10 September, 2020 14:50
I think the huge imbalance between negative comments about the team and positive comments is another fact.

SixNineOne 10 September, 2020 16:30
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
As for attacking threat, Iím afraid it was generally absent pre-lockdown (apart from a few bright spots like OHCís four against Gloucester)

Three tries against Wasps, five against Leicester, seven against Bayonne, three away at Bristol, four against Exeter, four against Harlequins, OHC's four against Gloucester, and four against Wasps. I think you're being a bit harsh on the attacking side

GHA, now you put it like that I think I agree I was being a bit harsh, certainly for the pre-lockdown period, but why does it feel like our attack has become so toothless since lockdown? What is it that we're doing differently - is it simply down to the lack of settled combinations in the backs or the lack of power to drive up the centre of the field?

Nick4219 10 September, 2020 16:35
Quote:
SixNineOne
Quote:
GHA
Quote:

GHA, now you put it like that I think I agree I was being a bit harsh, certainly for the pre-lockdown period, but why does it feel like our attack has become so toothless since lockdown? What is it that we're doing differently - is it simply down to the lack of settled combinations in the backs or the lack of power to drive up the centre of the field?

Rona and Hepetema havenít played together since the restart?

*edit Hepetema and Rona started the V Bath game until Rona went off injured after scoring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2020 18:01 by Nick4219.

cob 11 September, 2020 21:12
Fact = cannot wait to go to another game

Bainim fiŠin Rover-cťn fŠth a stopadh anois?

franciscorrigan 11 September, 2020 23:04
cob

I'm with you on that one. Watching on the box is no substitute. Having a beer with fans from other teams in the bar before games and the pure excitement of climbing the steps to your seat. Biting your nails to the roots and the joy of winning, or, more usually, the disappointment of losing. I miss the cheery waves and handshakes from other STHs and the chats with folks you don't really know, other than you've been sitting near them for years. I'll miss the MadStad and the trip to Brentford is a pain for me, but I'll be there when Covid allows, as will quite a few of the "old hands" and hopefully a good few new ones to make acquaintance with. (Sm42)(Sm42)(Sm63)

cob 11 September, 2020 23:44
[quote franciscorrigan]cob

I'm with you on that one. Watching on the box is no substitute. Having a beer with fans from other teams in the bar before games and the pure excitement of climbing the steps to your seat. Biting your nails to the roots and the joy of winning, or, more usually, the disappointment of losing. I miss the cheery waves and handshakes from other STHs and the chats with folks you don't really know, other than you've been sitting near them for years. I'll miss the MadStad and the trip to Brentford is a pain for me, but I'll be there when Covid allows, as will quite a few of the "old hands" and hopefully a good few new ones to make acquaintance with.

a man of few word

yes

Bainim fiŠin Rover-cťn fŠth a stopadh anois?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net