Latest news:

Will Irish beat Worcester?
Discussion started by Jonny_C , 10 September, 2020 11:30
Will Irish beat Worcester?
Jonny_C 10 September, 2020 11:30
Must go to church on Sunday morning and say a prayer......(Sm115)

Re: Will Irish beat Worcester?
Exilepaul 10 September, 2020 12:18
"These games are irrelevant anyway" I keep getting told. Even if we do squeak it but honestly nothing would surprise me at the moment it will just paper over massive cracks and it will be because Worcester have more of a dinosaur in charge of them than us. Dont get it twisted these 2 clubs are going absolutely no where and will 100% be in massive relegation trouble next season.

SimonG19 10 September, 2020 14:52
So if Irish win they are doomed and if they lose they are doomed.

With supporters like that who needs enemies?

tatthecraic2 10 September, 2020 15:17
yes they will win,

if we have Donnell, Cooke starting along side some bigger names

Dell
Creevy
Kepu
Donnell
Nott
Cooke
Cowan
Tuisue
Phipps
Jackson
OHC
Hep
Rona
Loader
Homer

that will be a winning team

Fursa 10 September, 2020 15:36
Will we win?. Depends on the team selected to state the obvious!

Nick4219 10 September, 2020 16:14
Yes if they score more points

SixNineOne 10 September, 2020 16:20
Quote:
Nick4219
That's the sort of insight that makes being an Irish supporter worthwhile, Nick.
(Btw, I note you've included all four digits of your PIN number in your title whereas I've left then guessing the last one...)

Florida 10 September, 2020 16:30
Quote:
Nick4219

But we'll only score more if Worcester score less

Nick4219 10 September, 2020 16:34
Quote:
SixNineOne
Quote:
Nick4219
That's the sort of insight that makes being an Irish supporter worthwhile, Nick.
(Btw, I note you've included all four digits of your PIN number in your title whereas I've left then guessing the last one...)

My more in depth analysis generally gets poo pooed for being too negative and forward thinking.

Ahh, but which order have I put them in?

SixNineOne 10 September, 2020 16:43
I know how you feel! Probably best just to keep it simple.

franciscorrigan 10 September, 2020 18:33
I expect both clubs to field the best side they can. Unfortunately, our best is nowhere near as good now as it was pre-lockdown. Worcester are quite a solid side and will be a good test. Realistically it is our last chance of a win this season, but we will need to play a full 80 minutes with no stupid penalties.(Sm63)

SixNineOne 10 September, 2020 22:17
Keeping the penalty count low is crucial because it wonít have escaped Worcesterís attention that the easiest way to score against us is a kick to the corner followed by a driving maul. Iím not sure I want to know the answer to this question, but has anyone counted up how many such tries weíve conceded since lockdown?

franciscorrigan 11 September, 2020 02:00
Penalties have killed any momentum for us on too many occasions to count and we are too small in the pack to stop a maul, especially when the opposition throw in a couple of backs too.
I think the catch and drive is the most boring thing in rugby. A good maul is almost impossible for most teams to stop, not just us. Too many times the ref misses the holders going in front and offside before the catcher reaches the ground, not to mention players breaking off to the side of the maul and effectively starting a new maul with players illegally bound on in front. To be honest I'd like to see defenders joining from the side as legal, as long as you aren't in front of your own teammates. Or perhaps allow a change of bind, unless you are swimming down the side. Perhaps you should have to use the ball the first time the maul is stopped. I don't know what the answer is, but if you have a fighting chance of stopping one, we might see teams having to play a more entertaining way.(Sm63)

SixNineOne 11 September, 2020 08:31
There was a period a few years ago when it was legal collapse a maul, which suited us perfectly and, I think, coincided with one of our more successful periods on the pitch.

Shawshank 11 September, 2020 08:52
If you often challenge on 5 m line outs you will win a few, and the oppo is also put under more pressure eg. may throw it crooked, or throw to 2 which is a bit easier to defend once the jumper is down.

RodB 11 September, 2020 09:48
Instead of the guy with the ball being at the back of the maul and all his mates in front being offside, wby not make him be at the front with mates bound on behind and let the defending side compete for it.mano a mano

bigbitty 11 September, 2020 12:08
Quote:
RodB
Instead of the guy with the ball being at the back of the maul and all his mates in front being offside, wby not make him be at the front with mates bound on behind and let the defending side compete for it.mano a mano

I like that idea.

I thought the guys at the front of the maul were not offside as long as the ball carrier was bound?

PV 11 September, 2020 12:19
Just seen Worcester side. Looks decent. Ours not so. Iím beginning to think weíre a bit like London Welsh before they spectacularly imploded.

RodB 11 September, 2020 12:22
You are right, but it feels like a contrived interpretation of the law, specifically to allow the driving maul to take place and is essentially undefendable

ExiledChameleon 11 September, 2020 12:30
Losing becomes a habit, without Cowan/Coleman on the field I just don't see where the leadership can come from. Creevy has been excellent, but it's perhaps a bit too soon to ask him to provide it.

Part of our issue is that we don't have a captain in the backs. Myler was excellent at sorting them out.

Exilepaul 11 September, 2020 12:34
Quote:
PV
Just seen Worcester side. Looks decent. Ours not so. Iím beginning to think weíre a bit like London Welsh before they spectacularly imploded.

Unfortunately this is what these coaches and playing group have done to us I.e fearing Worcester at home, I wouldn't trust them to beat a championship side atm and we could easily finish this season having lost 11 games in a row which is just incredible.

ExiledChameleon 11 September, 2020 12:44
Quote:
Exilepaul
Quote:
PV

Unfortunately this is what these coaches and playing group have done to us I.e fearing Worcester at home, I wouldn't trust them to beat a championship side atm and we could easily finish this season having lost 11 games in a row which is just incredible.

Must be depressing being as unrelentingly miserable and pessimistic as you.

Exilepaul 11 September, 2020 12:52
Quote:
ExiledChameleon
Quote:
Exilepaul
Quote:
PV

Must be depressing being as unrelentingly miserable and pessimistic as you.

Nope just a realist and not a happy clappy prat like you

GHA 11 September, 2020 13:01
There's a difference between being a realist and being an 'everyone's wrong but me' clown

PV 11 September, 2020 13:06
Being as jaundiced as this comes from 44 years of following this great club. We can get there again but the approach for the last 10 years has been muddled at best, chaotic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net