Latest news:

Police Sgt Matt Ratana RIP - formerly of LI
Discussion started by AlecW , 26 September, 2020 08:57
Police Sgt Matt Ratana RIP - formerly of LI
AlecW 26 September, 2020 08:57
Iíve just read that the poor copper who was shot dead in London yesterday used to play loose head for London Irish.

According to the Times and the Torygraph (I hope the latter wonít mind me quoting three short paragraphs):

Quote:
Torygraph
Born in New Zealand, Mr Ratana was brought up in the picturesque Hawkeís Bay area of the North Island and educated at Palmerston North Boysí High School where he excelled at sport, especially rugby.
While studying Town Planning at Otago University, he played club rugby for Ravensbourne RFC and after graduating in 1989 moved to the UK where he was signed by London Irish.

In December 1991, having fallen in love with Britain, he decided to stay, joining the Metropolitan Police Service as a constable.

How very sad, anyway, no matter the LI connection.

Does anyone remember him? 1989 is a couple of years before my time...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 26/09/2020 09:04 by AlecW.

Re: Police Sgt Matt Ratana RIP - formerly of LI
mackemII 26 September, 2020 10:15
Alec, there's a photo of Matt in LI colours on the Wild Geese Facebook pages. Lots of "Thin blue line" images on Facebook and Instagram.

tigerburnie 26 September, 2020 12:30
Sad news RIP

Scottish Brian 26 September, 2020 16:08
Absolutely awful, the job the police do for us is heroic on a day to day basis

franciscorrigan 26 September, 2020 17:44
Two months away from being able to retire. He became a custody sergeant because it was safer than staying on the street. Looked like a really great bloke gunned down by a complete low life. Makes you realise the debt we owe to men and women like him who serve us so well day after day.(Sm63)

SixNineOne 27 September, 2020 11:59
Sometimes when someone dies in tragic circumstances the eulogies can ring somewhat hollow. But in this case I think itís fair to say that Matt genuinely was a really top guy and the praise is truly deserved. Iím sure he will be much missed by all the people who knew him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net