Well played Chiefs
grumpy1960 17 October, 2020 19:06
Great game to watch , through out every twist and turn

Re: Well played Chiefs
b.q.f.m 17 October, 2020 19:15
Agreed, and a well deserved win.

M51 17 October, 2020 19:29
Really was blood and thunder. Great game and Exeter were well deserved winners.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/10/2020 19:30 by M51.

Exilepaul 17 October, 2020 19:41
So happy for them, a proper club with incredible recruitment and Rob Baxter is a genius

SixNineOne 17 October, 2020 20:09
An absolutely excellent game and congratulations to both teams for a mighty contest! I thought Nigel Owens had a good match too, in spite of the best efforts of the clowns responsible for the time keeping. He let the game flow and was happy to allow a genuine contest. A lesser official could have niggled the hell out of the match...
I just hope the Chiefs players can recover in time to give it their best next weekend.

Shawshank 17 October, 2020 20:46
Ex really had to dig deep as they couldnít make much progress through their normal recycling game in the middle third of the pitch due to brilliant Racing defence.

Dave Evers had a massive game, and could have pipped Simmonds J for MOTM.

Racing will rue not taking a kick at goal when Francis was yellow carded, and also for not starting with Machineud.

franciscorrigan 18 October, 2020 00:36
Thought Owens was fairly average actually and the last few seconds were farcical. Let far too much go at the ruck and gave a couple of penalties the wrong way. Surprised Exeter never kicked behind Racing's blitz defence. Great game to watch, but Racing lost it on the error count, especially the two Russell cock ups. Didn't think Exeter were at their best and the Racing defence was excellent. Have you ever seen a prop run back so far and fast to make a try saving tackle before? Glad Exeter won it though. Rob Baxter has been there literally man and boy and deserves every bit of success. It's not always pretty watching Chiefs, but it's very effective. (Sm63)

SixNineOne 18 October, 2020 08:35
Quote:
franciscorrigan
Thought Owens was fairly average actually and the last few seconds were farcical. Let far too much go at the ruck and gave a couple of penalties the wrong way. Surprised Exeter never kicked behind Racing's blitz defence. Great game to watch, but Racing lost it on the error count, especially the two Russell cock ups. (Sm63)
This raises an interesting question about style of refereeing. My impression is that Nigel Owens wants to see a good contest and a good game of rugby and I think he contributed positively to making it a great game to watch. Like Wayne Barnes, Nigel does make a few questionable decisions and perhaps misses a few misdemeanours, but when theyíve got the whistle the players know whoís in charge. I contrast this with some of the referees we have in the Premiership who are probably more technically correct but who, in picking up every single potential error, often strangle the flow of the game and niggle it to death - my bÍte noir, Mr Tempest, comes to mind. Iím pretty clear which style of refereeing I prefer!

I agree that the ending was farcical, but I donít think I can blame Nigel for that. The ineptitude of the production team in not being able to operate the timer was staggering and the clown of a TMO seemed unable to express himself clearly and assertively to give Nigel the necessary support.

franciscorrigan 18 October, 2020 12:10
Refs like Tempest completely ruin a game, but by his own standards Owens was not at his best. One awful decision against Hogg for holding on when Vakatawa was clearly off his feet led directly to a Racing score, whereas Exeter should have had the penalty and an easy 3 points, or a kick to the corner. He just seemed to let anything go at the ruck.
TMO was a dithering idiot, but Owens should not have restarted the game untl he was sure the clock was runnng. The TMO told hm they were having problems wth the clock. (Sm63)

Bazzo 18 October, 2020 12:12
Best coached team in the Premiership. Baxter has to take over from Eddie when the day comes.

franciscorrigan 18 October, 2020 12:22
It helps having a squad of fifty good players though. A lot of them must be on much less of a wage than they are worth. Shows how Rob Baxter has forged a proper club mentality, with everyone playing for pride in the shirt rather than money. (Sm63)

Shawshank 18 October, 2020 12:28
Bazzo, I think Baxter has been quoted before as saying why should he give up a great Devon life, at a great club where he is one of the family, to have all the grief and stress, and time away, with England...?

He would probably want/ need to bring along his Ex coaches, and I just canít see him doing that to the club.

Sore Doc 18 October, 2020 13:02
Rob Baxter in on the Chiefs board of directors. I'm sure that he is more than comfortable at Sandy Park.

Bazzo 18 October, 2020 13:03
Fair play to him Shankers if that is the case, but he has earned it. Built a great team on not much money. He does have a great geographical area to pick from but he brings the best out of players, you can see that by the way they play.

If Lee Blackett wins next weekend as well that will be some achievement as well. (It already is getting Wasps to the final). Great to see coaches who have not done the Super rugby Route or former international coaches been giving an opportunity to showcase their ideas on the game.

franciscorrigan 18 October, 2020 13:14
One thing we could learn from Chiefs, is not to kick the ball away unnecessarily (Sm63)

SixNineOne 18 October, 2020 15:12
The other thing we would need to learn from the Chiefs is how to retain possession of the ball once we've decided not to kick it away aimlessly.

franciscorrigan 18 October, 2020 21:56
We do seem to cough up a lot of ball in the tackle. Perhaps a look at how running backs in the NFL protect the ball might be in order and getting quicker to the breakdown like Exeter would also help.

(Sm63)

grumpy1960 20 October, 2020 19:01
I really do think that Iíd gonna happen , itís too ingrained in our DNA.
Doesnít matter whoís playing at 10 , theyíre going to kick it . We are so predictable the bookies have stopped taking bets on our kicking strategy (if we ever had one ? Maybe it was part of BBCís 5 year plan from 2010 ! (Sm60)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net