Latest news:

Stephen Jones in the Sunday Times
Discussion started by AlecW , 18 October, 2020 09:13
Stephen Jones in the Sunday Times
AlecW 18 October, 2020 09:13
One of the very few times he has made me chuckle and (IMHO) been bang on:

Quote:
After a few replays Pearce confirms the “no arms” part. Barnes then says: “Luke, there is no clear footage to head or neck. It is pretty close but we’ve got to be certain.” Hill had made contact roughly along the line of the name “Faletau” on the top of the back of his shirt. Good calls by the experts. Hill was sent to the sin-bin for ten minutes, then returned, scored a try and Exeter marched on.
Twitter simply ranted on. One correspondent raged: “He was clearly targeting Faletau, he singled him out.” Well of course he did. Who else was Hill going to target? The groundsman? The ref?

Re: Stephen Jones in the Sunday Times
Shawshank 18 October, 2020 10:41
Jones should stay away from Twitter...!

The Henry Slade tackle yesterday was also pretty marginal.

You felt the TMO wanted to give a YC but changed tack when Nigel said the tackle looked to start on the shoulder, which seemed a pretty generous assessment...

Re: Stephen Jones in the Sunday Times
AlecW 18 October, 2020 11:57
Seems to me, Shankers, that some refs / offIcials seem to be desperate to wave cards around (letter of law), others to avoid it (spirit ditto) - not criticising either, btw. Jones is surely right (I never thought I would write that, btw) when he points out later in the article:

Quote:
Faletau is very low on the jackal and then bends even lower as he sees Hill approach ... You are supposed to ... grasp the opponent with your arm, effectively pulling him back towards you at the very second you are about to drive him out of your way ... to avoid the head, [he] has a target a maximum of four inches wide between ... mid-shoulder and ... arm ... So what other options [are there]? I asked one of the foremost rugby law experts. He said ... that if the other options [such as an offload] are not available, then he should allow the ball to be taken by the opponent ... To concede the ball to the opposition is against all the instincts the game has always had.

In other words, a good jackler (the new amalgam of ‘tackler’ and ‘jackal’) can position himself so low over the ball that it is physically impossible to shift him safely / legally, no matter how quick you are to the breakdown - therefore you must give the ball up. Therefore no contest for the ball - we may as well go to RL...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net