Latest news:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board




George North
Discussion started by Saintsteward , 03 February, 2018 11:53
George North
Saintsteward 03 February, 2018 11:53
After all the criticism, have to say George was back last night, working hard coming in field to get involved and some great carries taking the team forward. Hope we see this kind of form from him for the rest of the season. Much more like the George North we saw in 2014 before his injuries.

Re: George North
St.Sinner 03 February, 2018 12:17
He did play well which was good to see from our highest earner, just in time for a Wales call up*.

Re: George North
herbie85 03 February, 2018 12:27
Yep. George has been unlucky with injuries but his heart always has been elsewhere. Poor use of the salary cap as we didn't have the game plan or backline to use him to his strengths. He had a good game last night.

Re: George North
Aberavon Wizard 03 February, 2018 12:29
Personally I think he could do with some more match practice before returning to Gatlands gang; I would suggest that eighty minutes at the Rec next friday would be hugely beneficial

Re: George North
Eif Jones 04 February, 2018 02:10
He knows that he has to work hard to get his Wales place back. After Scarlets 33 Scotland 7 it's even harder.

Re: George North
Saint 04 February, 2018 11:49
There is no doubt that North had his best game for a couple of years - went looking for work and looked fully committed.

It is such a shame its because he did it because Warren Gatland told him he needed to stand a chance of playing for Wales.

It shows for the last year or so he has shown little commitment, respect or effort for the club who pay his wages - we should get a refund on his salary of at least 50% based on standard "North Deckchair winger" performance vs Gatland instructed performance.

He also looked gutted at 60 minutes when Foden came on and it wasn't for him.

Re: George North
Walks11 04 February, 2018 13:31
Quote:
Saint
There is no doubt that North had his best game for a couple of years - went looking for work and looked fully committed.
It is such a shame its because he did it because Warren Gatland told him he needed to stand a chance of playing for Wales.

It shows for the last year or so he has shown little commitment, respect or effort for the club who pay his wages - we should get a refund on his salary of at least 50% based on standard "North Deckchair winger" performance vs Gatland instructed performance.

He also looked gutted at 60 minutes when Foden came on and it wasn't for him.

Wow! Poor poor comment

Re: George North
St.Sinner 04 February, 2018 16:03
Quote:
Walks11
Quote:
Saint
There is no doubt that North had his best game for a couple of years - went looking for work and looked fully committed.
It is such a shame its because he did it because Warren Gatland told him he needed to stand a chance of playing for Wales.

It shows for the last year or so he has shown little commitment, respect or effort for the club who pay his wages - we should get a refund on his salary of at least 50% based on standard "North Deckchair winger" performance vs Gatland instructed performance.


He also looked gutted at 60 minutes when Foden came on and it wasn't for him.

Wow! Poor poor comment

In what respect ? He hasnít been value for money & the only time he plays well is when he has Wales to impress. Donít you find it a bit patronising he has his best game in ages , when he has been told by Gatland he needs to impress him. Shows he leaves plenty still in the locker room when itís just Saints & no international motive.

Itís no coincidence he performed better because Gatland gave him a ultimatum. Just a kick in the balls to Saints fans as it proves he isnít giving all he can the rest of the time.

Re: George North
Scrummy 04 February, 2018 18:35
George has done some fantastic things for Saints but we have not used him well. So often our full back has not given George the ball and he has ended up rucking over like an auxiliary 7.

He has been KOd for us, injured his knee for us and put his body on the line repeatedly for us.

I shall be sad to see him go.

Re: George North
Walks11 04 February, 2018 19:28
I think itís pretty poor questioning commitment of any of the players. They work bloody hard and at times donít play well, itís sport it happens. Thatís generally not through lack of effort and commitment.

Do some of the England players up their game when there is a squad to be picked? Of course they do. That said international coaches donít start looking 1week before they are keeping tabs on players constantly, so am sure any perceived lack of effort would be called out pretty quickly.

Perhaps he has responded to a kick up the backside but I contend the suggestion he has not been committed previously.

As for value for money I would say thatís the Saints fault rather than the player, he has also had a pretty awful run of injuries which again is not his fault. It seems there are a block of fans who will knock him come what may. Players divide opinion and some we like some we donít. No issue with the fact your are not a fan of his but questioning effort/commitment in my opinion is poor

Re: George North
Deesaint 04 February, 2018 19:41
Quote:
Walks11
Quote:
Saint
There is no doubt that North had his best game for a couple of years - went looking for work and looked fully committed.
It is such a shame its because he did it because Warren Gatland told him he needed to stand a chance of playing for Wales.

It shows for the last year or so he has shown little commitment, respect or effort for the club who pay his wages - we should get a refund on his salary of at least 50% based on standard "North Deckchair winger" performance vs Gatland instructed performance.

He also looked gutted at 60 minutes when Foden came on and it wasn't for him.

Wow! Poor poor comment

It is very disappointing when these opinions appear
Almost like the masked protesters at Moggs speach :-)

There does come a point when you think - why bother challenging such prejudice

Re: George North
St.Sinner 04 February, 2018 20:07
Quote:
Walks11
I think itís pretty poor questioning commitment of any of the players. They work bloody hard and at times donít play well, itís sport it happens. Thatís generally not through lack of effort and commitment.
Do some of the England players up their game when there is a squad to be picked? Of course they do. That said international coaches donít start looking 1week before they are keeping tabs on players constantly, so am sure any perceived lack of effort would be called out pretty quickly.

Perhaps he has responded to a kick up the backside but I contend the suggestion he has not been committed previously.

As for value for money I would say thatís the Saints fault rather than the player, he has also had a pretty awful run of injuries which again is not his fault. It seems there are a block of fans who will knock him come what may. Players divide opinion and some we like some we donít. No issue with the fact your are not a fan of his but questioning effort/commitment in my opinion is poor

Thatís fair enough, we all see things differently.
Not the first nor the last player who will divide opinion !

Re: George North
Saintalex 04 February, 2018 21:53
I got one am gutted to see him go, but itís the right thing for him and the club, but we thank him and he goes with our love

Re: George North
Aberavon Wizard 05 February, 2018 18:35
With Ospreys and Cardiff declaring no interest in the boy the only viable option left for him in Wales are the Scarlets who make up most of the national side and have impressed recently in Europe. Were it not for the fact that the WRU are going to pay a sizeable portion of his wages to whichever Welsh club he signs for eventually, then he would be struggling to find a worthwhile deal anywhere. If it is to be Llanelli, then I wish him the very best for a future which will not include a great deal of club rugby but will hopefully see him back to form for Wales.

Re: George North
Walks11 05 February, 2018 20:13
There is the Dragons Mobbs who have already made a couple of decent signings, Moriarty and Hibbard. They seem to have a bit more cash for next season but I think I read that our George wasnít overly keen

Re: George North
Saint Stokey 06 February, 2018 07:25
Could he still stay with us? Would we want him to?

I think this was his first game back since Gaffney took over and North looked rejuvenated. Having a new look approach to coaching may do wonders for George's performances.

I'd love him to stay so long as his work rate, injury record and wages are more sensible.

Re: George North
Walks11 06 February, 2018 08:45
Quote:
Saint Stokey
Could he still stay with us? Would we want him to?
I think this was his first game back since Gaffney took over and North looked rejuvenated. Having a new look approach to coaching may do wonders for George's performances.

I'd love him to stay so long as his work rate, injury record and wages are more sensible.

im guessing that would require some sort of deal between the WRU and the Saints as they would want to dictate playing and release times. i think this would contravene premiership rules though so never likely to happen.

Re: George North
Aberavon Wizard 06 February, 2018 09:04
Walks

Yes, of course the Dragons remains a distant option but I feel there is still some good club rugby left in him, if he wants it, and as such he would need to set his sights a little higher than Newport. There was a story floating around a few months ago that George and Becky had purchased a new home close to Cardiff which may have been his best option but no longer it seems. I'm not sure his agent has always been tivin him the best advice.....we could do that !!!

Re: George North
Saint 10 February, 2018 19:13
Quote:
Walks11
I think itís pretty poor questioning commitment of any of the players. They work bloody hard and at times donít play well, itís sport it happens. Thatís generally not through lack of effort and commitment.
Do some of the England players up their game when there is a squad to be picked? Of course they do. That said international coaches donít start looking 1week before they are keeping tabs on players constantly, so am sure any perceived lack of effort would be called out pretty quickly.

Perhaps he has responded to a kick up the backside but I contend the suggestion he has not been committed previously.

As for value for money I would say thatís the Saints fault rather than the player, he has also had a pretty awful run of injuries which again is not his fault. It seems there are a block of fans who will knock him come what may. Players divide opinion and some we like some we donít. No issue with the fact your are not a fan of his but questioning effort/commitment in my opinion is poor

Walks - You say "poor comment" but the fact is that North has been missing in action for the Saints for at least a year. When he is on the pitch he looks bored and uninterested.

As you say players work hard and things sometimes dont go well or they loose form - and they should not be critised for that.

Had North been trying hard, looking like he was bothered but not playing well then I would totally agree with you.

However, I personally find that George North "turns it on" only when he gets told his welsh place in in doubt is disgracefull and disrespectful to his team mates and club and supporters.

And seriously watch the match back and his face and attitude after he wasnt subbed at 60 minutes - says it all.


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?