Latest news:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

A Shedweb classic
Discussion started by Statesman (IP Logged), 22 May, 2019 17:10
Statesman
Statesman
22 May, 2019 17:10
I was taking a look at Shedweb to see what Glaws fans are saying ahead of their famous victory over Sarries at the weekend. I found this which I hope you enjoy as much as I did!

Likely Sarries team for Saturday:

Alex Goode Ltd.
Liam Williams Ltd
Alex Lozowski Ltd
Brad Barritt Ltd
Sean Maitland Ltd
Owen Farrell Ltd
Ben Spencer Ltd
Vincent Koch (Pty) Ltd
Jamie George Ltd
Titi Lamositele Inc.
William Skelton Ltd
George Kruis Ltd
Maro Itoje Ltd
Jackson Wray Ltd
Schalke Burger (Pty) Ltd.

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan
22 May, 2019 19:30
Classic.

Poking fun isn't enough however. Perhaps they could shake a few piggy banks or something, have a giant inflatable one in the shed.

I don't contribute on other clubs forums but I thought the comments on the chiefs forum on the subject of Sarries to be breathtakingly complacent. That probably comes from your league position

alwayshopeful
alwayshopeful
22 May, 2019 21:01
That is fantastic. I laughed out loud at that!

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett
22 May, 2019 22:19
all gone quiet on the PRL front..... nothing to see here.... move along....

MESSAGES->author
shendy
23 May, 2019 10:00
Can't imagine it would be that quick an investigation - certainly nothing will come out to detract from the sharp end of the season, and then they'll need to get it done before the World Cup.

MESSAGES->author
clalan
23 May, 2019 10:18
If the league gets closed, and this loophole is not closed, the Salary cap will be removed as certain rich men can have their private league.
We Chiefs as we are self financing will probably just make up numbers as Bristol, Sarries and Bath etc win the league again and again, as we cannot compete salary wise as we have nobody to pay the losses.
Not sure how your great club is financed but I would have thought you are similar to ourselves, earn then grow.

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts
23 May, 2019 11:59
I completely agree clalan, and although we have at times had cash injections from the board/share holders we are mostly self financing.

I have no issue with people investing in a club by paying for facilities but Pumping in masses of cash just to pay for players is unsustainable and often leads to failure.

I personally think the league should be a test of not just how good your players are but how well you develop players, coaches, a culture, a fan base and a business over time. Others disagree and for them its just about putting a W in the results column.

JL904
JL904
24 May, 2019 14:17
Quote:
Duckonstilts
I completely agree clalan, and although we have at times had cash injections from the board/share holders we are mostly self financing.
I have no issue with people investing in a club by paying for facilities but Pumping in masses of cash just to pay for players is unsustainable and often leads to failure.

I personally think the league should be a test of not just how good your players are but how well you develop players, coaches, a culture, a fan base and a business over time. Others disagree and for them its just about putting a W in the results column.

Sarries fan in peace here, DoS.

I feel certain that your post was not meant as a sideswipe at Saracens, but plenty may choose to see it as such.

With regard to your point about investment paying for facilities etc etc. Much of Mr Wray's money went into the development of Allianz Park. Yes, we did at one time spend heavily on star names, without notable success - but that is rare now. The only signings we've made in the last few years who could seriously be considered stars are Liam Williams and Elliot Daly.

Leading to your final point - development over time. Starting at the end of your list ...

A sustainable business - without RFU payments, TV money, and sponsorship I'm not sure any Rugby club has one (including Exeter).

A growing fan base - yes, considering the success we should be selling out AzP every week. That said, few people have bottomless pockets and there are three top drawer PL footy teams among other attractions trying to get fans time and money.

A culture - don't think anyone can doubt there is one. People will question it, but that's frankly not an issue for me to deal with.

Development of coaches - well we developed one to the point of International appointment (Farrell Snr) and a few to assist Eddie Jones. We have success with Ladies, 7's and A-team sides, so it's safe to say we improve coaching staff.

Development of players. I won't insult your intelligence on this one, my friend. It doesn't need spelling out.

I broadly agree with you - but would argue that the "W" in the results column comes from a combination of the last three above. It can't be any other way.

Salary cap issues - truth is, I don't know. Naturally, I hope all is above board, but if not - then I'd fully accept that we would deserve any sanction which may be handed out.

Best of luck to your boys tomorrow BTW - hope everyone comes through the match without injury.

Wars begin when you will, but they do not end when you please - Niccolo Machiavelli

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net