Latest news:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Announcement 14:00
Discussion started by Saint Ted (IP Logged), 23 May, 2019 12:55
Saint Ted
Saint Ted
23 May, 2019 12:55
Contact renewal announcement due at 14:00....

Would be more fun to guess if there was more than one player who we didnít know what was going on with!

MESSAGES->author
Saint Robert
23 May, 2019 12:57
Jamie Gibson I hope.

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts
23 May, 2019 13:06
I do hope so. The guy is very good, and this season he has added a lot of running and offloading to his game.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey
23 May, 2019 13:25
Can't think of anyone's contract that's expiring that we haven't ready heard about.

Also hope that we see more signing announcements in the near future.... Just to further whet the appetite for next season.
If we're looking to South Africa, we better hurry up otherwise there might not be any left... All going to Gloucester and Sale!

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett
23 May, 2019 13:40
Iím really not sure we will sign many other players

Tidy
Tidy
23 May, 2019 13:57
Gibson confirmed

tedge
tedge
23 May, 2019 13:57
Boydie has said more than once that recruitment for next season is basically done.

Walks11
Walks11
23 May, 2019 13:58
Quote:
Wilson Pickett
Iím really not sure we will sign many other players

maybe, I do think there may be a bit of a shakedown post WC. if for example Dyl retires as I think he might that frees up money within the cap should we choose to use it. I would be surprised if we don't see a reasonably significant signing in the next 3-6 months one way or another

Longers
Longers
23 May, 2019 13:58
So how long do we think "for the foreseeable future" actually means?

Saint Ted
Saint Ted
23 May, 2019 14:04
I'm thinking we still have a lot of salary cap still wrapped up in places where it perhaps isn't best spent, until a couple more contracts are up there just may not be the room for more

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett
23 May, 2019 14:06
Apart from 8 and maybe prop, I canít see where we need more players?

Stocked everywhere...

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H
23 May, 2019 14:08
The business might already be done, but the announcement may be made after world cup?

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett
23 May, 2019 14:14
True Neil but that will be for 2020/21

I definitely wouldnít want us spending good money on a player who is absolutely knackered after the World Cup

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H
23 May, 2019 14:16
Depends on what we are paying them?

3 year contract X per year, first year is 75% due to world cup?

Ways round it?

St.Sinner
St.Sinner
23 May, 2019 14:25
With Wood & Gibson re signed. We wonít be getting a flanker thatís for sure. Just leaves potentially a number 8 to give Harrison some rotation and even move to flanker with a big 8 for certain game plans. Loose head.. maybe. But making Waller club captain and then him being behind Van Wyk & a new signing doesnít look likely to happen.

Saint Ted
Saint Ted
23 May, 2019 14:33
I really wouldn't expect a big name or first XV signing at this point, certainly not after June 1st.

If it's been done it would have been announced while we're at the peak time for season ticket renewals, the marketing dept are going all out at the minute to pull out a few more, it would make commercial sense to announce them as they are done, not announcing them does nobody any favours.

Londonsaint
Londonsaint
23 May, 2019 14:36
Ben Franks said on the saints show that he'll be switching to loosehead for next season. So at loosehead, will have B.Franks, Waller, Van Wyk, and then hopefully Trinder & Davis coming through.

At 8, we'll have Harrison, Eadie & Uru, with Wood (& probably Ludlam & Brussow) able to do a job there.

I think our squad feels complete.

That's not to say that we couldn't improve quality in some positions (loosehead, 2nd row, no.8, wing), but that feels like a project for next year as we see more salary cap free up, and players become available post World Cup. Not a statement on their quality, but age-wise could see B.Franks (35), Hartley (33), Wood (32), Brussow (32), Ratuniyarawa (32) all move on soon. And potentially Eadie too if he doesn't break through. So when that lot leaves, that's when I see us bringing in a world class loose head and no.8.

Dick Dastardly
Thrupp artist
23 May, 2019 14:59
Perhaps if Dylan decides to hang up his boots and with all International ambition achieved post WC Dan (who seems to love it here) could have a word with his old chum who seems undecided on his future. With him added to the pack I think we would become even more competitive in the big games.

tedge
tedge
23 May, 2019 17:26
We also signed Garside

Nath-coys
Nath-coys
23 May, 2019 20:13
I think it is a dangerous thing too feel your squad is complete in Profeessional sport.
You always need to be looking at where too improve and move forward.
Newcastle being one example.
That doesnít mean you churn through players and money, but there should be a constant evaluation of the squad, academy players filtering through, and then where we need to bring players in.

For me I still feel we are missing some ballast in the back row.

Dragonboy
Dragonboy
24 May, 2019 00:19
Quote:
Nath-coys
I think it is a dangerous thing too feel your squad is complete in Profeessional sport.
You always need to be looking at where too improve and move forward.
Newcastle being one example.
That doesnít mean you churn through players and money, but there should be a constant evaluation of the squad, academy players filtering through, and then where we need to bring players in.

For me I still feel we are missing some ballast in the back row.
Totally agree. All we are doing at the moment is what Newcastle did last season.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net