Latest news:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

That red card
Discussion started by Buzzardsaint , 10 August, 2019 18:48
That red card
Buzzardsaint 10 August, 2019 18:48
Everyones talking about it so wondered your views.... NZ media crying foul and blaming another French referee..... but to be honest even with 15 NZ probably would have lost oz were very good as they tend to be on the eve of a world cup.

Re: That red card
Wilson Pickett 10 August, 2019 18:52
Kiwi media bleating. They were losing before. It was a shoulder to the head, no arms, laws are straight red and thatís it. If you donít like the laws, fine. He led with no arms, no excuse.

All Blacks peaked just before losing to Ireland in Chicago. Theyíre now panicking because theyíve tried to shovel Barrett into the team and his brother is better at 15. Read is over the hill and theyíve lost 3 big team leaders since they were unbeatable - McCaw, Carter and Conrad Smith.

There for the taking now.....I really fancy South Africa for the RWC.

Buzzardsaint 10 August, 2019 19:12
They are desperate to pick SBW but he isn't good enough now and they refuse to pick matty Proctor's centre partner at Wellington even though hes an immense 12. Agree the RWC is wide open and the odds on SA are tumbling.

Dragonboy 10 August, 2019 19:48
Australia were the better side on the day but the red card was a red card. However the other week Snyman charged into a ruck and came in at the side like an Exocet missile targeting Brodie Retallick who went off with a serious injury. It was a pure premeditated clear out of someone at the back of the ruck and no where near the ball. Neither the ref nor his assistants nor the TMO batted an eyelid and I was appalled to be frank. I have seen no suggestion at any citing and whilst I canít remember who the referee was I feel that that game and todayís incident clearly show the gulf in standards between the referees interpretation between hemispheres. Todays was mindless stupidity. Snymans incident was Thuggery of the first order and would have been seen as assault if off of the pitch.

Buzzardsaint 10 August, 2019 20:02
Aussie Nic berry was the ref two weeks ago. Consistently certainly an issue.

Wilson Pickett 10 August, 2019 20:23
sort of

Nic Berry is awful regardless of any statistical significance

Dragonboy 10 August, 2019 20:41
Quote:
Wilson Pickett
sort of

Nic Berry is awful regardless of any statistical significance
Totally agree. I couldnít name names as I couldnít remember but I agree he was poor all the way through and itís all well and good fast tracking recently retired players through the refereeing ranks but not to tier 1 internationals before they know which changing room to go to.

Walks11 10 August, 2019 22:39
Kiwiís have a point until the many that go unpunished there will be an axe to grind. The pendulum has to swing so that these challenges are dealt with properly and less bleating. I also donít agree we should be applauding a ref for applying the laws but we should be calling out those that donít. WC really needs ALL laws applying consistently and not those that are flavoured the month

St.Sinner 11 August, 2019 06:37
A red card for me, he never had any other intention than tucking that elbow and smashing him. Baffled by the half time pundits reactions to it. Do you think theyíd like 19 stone smashed into the back of their neck full force via an elbow/shoulder ? We all know the laws now , and it is what it is.

John Tee 11 August, 2019 12:28
Cant blame the ref. The tackle made the ref make a decision and the risk was the ref might be upto it.
No problem with the way it went.

Duckonstilts 11 August, 2019 16:46
Its one of those "tackles" that scream red. They might not always be picked up but you cant moan when they are.

The ABs are not used to being officiated.

TimperleySaint 11 August, 2019 18:36
Quote:
Dragonboy
Australia were the better side on the day but the red card was a red card. However the other week Snyman charged into a ruck and came in at the side like an Exocet missile targeting Brodie Retallick who went off with a serious injury. It was a pure premeditated clear out of someone at the back of the ruck and no where near the ball. Neither the ref nor his assistants nor the TMO batted an eyelid and I was appalled to be frank. I have seen no suggestion at any citing and whilst I canít remember who the referee was I feel that that game and todayís incident clearly show the gulf in standards between the referees interpretation between hemispheres. Todays was mindless stupidity. Snymans incident was Thuggery of the first order and would have been seen as assault if off of the pitch.

I agree this was absolutely a penalty and a questionable yellow card. However if I remember correctly the clear out itself (whilst from an illegal position) was fine. Retallick obviously wasn't expecting it and landed badly. Difficult to punish retrospectively as the actual contact was absolutely fine.

This one however was a clear red. I genuinely can't believe there are any questions about it! No arms, straight to head/neck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net