Latest news:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Next Commentator?
Discussion started by St_Bart , 11 August, 2019 09:16
Next Commentator?
St_Bart 11 August, 2019 09:16
I may have missed it in the holiday rush, but is there any news on a replacement for the inimitable Uncle Geoff yet?

Re: Next Commentator?
tedge 11 August, 2019 09:49
I will be surprised if it's even mentioned before the first match - even then somebody will probably get the job with whatever style they have without there necessarily being any public announcement

Aberavon Wizard 11 August, 2019 11:45
I think the appropriate phrase is 'waiting with trepidation'.

The club know how Geoff was regarded and assuming that someone in the top corridors of power reads this stuff, then they know full well what most, if not all, people will expect as the replacement for an Institution at the Gardens.

Wilson Pickett 11 August, 2019 12:02
not easy taking that job over, I’m sure the new guy will spend some time with Geoff to understand a few rituals including very average name pronunciation and cars blocking roads

let’s all be supportive and give whoever a good shot at it

Duckonstilts 11 August, 2019 16:41
I don't mind if the new person has their own style and delivery but avoiding unnecessary shouting is a minimum.

Walks11 12 August, 2019 09:51
Quote:
Duckonstilts
I don't mind if the new person has their own style and delivery but avoiding unnecessary shouting is a minimum.

Yep accept he will be different as long as he’s not a ‘shouty man’. I would hope the powers that be understand the majority really don’t want that

Stilo 12 August, 2019 14:13
Quote:
Wilson Pickett
not easy taking that job over, I’m sure the new guy will spend some time with Geoff to understand a few rituals including very average name pronunciation and cars blocking roads
let’s all be supportive and give whoever a good shot at it

I loved it a few years ago at a European game when Geoff announced 1 of the sponsors, Alice (The Italian communications company's internet market) and pronounced it as Alice as in "who the **** is Alice", when the Italian pronunciation is Al-ee-che.

Dragonboy 12 August, 2019 14:42
For one of his greates announcements was when Bath trotted out a load of changes including Elvis Sevialihi and Geoff left him to last and said “And Elvis has left the pitch”

Jon in Wherever 12 August, 2019 15:49
Is it too far fetched to suggest Hask? Or maybe Lennie, if he could be pulled from Noddy?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2019 15:49 by Jon in Wherever.

tedge 12 August, 2019 19:06
I don't think Lenny Newman would be good at that job

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2019 20:35 by tedge.

Walks11 12 August, 2019 19:58
Quote:
tedge
Lenny Newman would not be good at that job
“you know”

tedge 12 August, 2019 20:36
Quote:
Walks11
Quote:
tedge
Lenny Newman would not be good at that job
“you know”

Wording amended accordingly

Dragonboy 12 August, 2019 21:15
Quote:
Jon in Wherever
Is it too far fetched to suggest Hask? Or maybe Lennie, if he could be pulled from Noddy?
please god no not Lennie. Drives me mad on the Saints program with his verbal meanderings and starting a question and never ending it.

PelerinStJames 13 August, 2019 07:34
Wot, no Digger?

tedge 13 August, 2019 07:51
Quote:
Dragonboy
Quote:
Jon in Wherever
please god no not Lennie. Drives me mad on the Saints program with his verbal meanderings and starting a question and never ending it.

That's exactly why I said what I said !

Aberavon Wizard 13 August, 2019 13:23
Digger.........now there is a thought ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net