Latest news:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Lewis
Discussion started by Dragonboy , 12 August, 2019 10:02
Lewis
Dragonboy 12 August, 2019 10:02
I was so proud of Lewis yesterday as one of ours and the joint hit on Shingler with Courtney made me wonder whether we have the return of The Bruise Brothers and have a new Samu in the making. He also looks as if his beefed up a bit and wonder if he could be the long term solution to 8 for us.

Re: Lewis
tedge 12 August, 2019 11:12
I suspect his apparent beefing up might be down to the contrast between his body and his greatly reduced smart barnet !

white lion 12 August, 2019 11:16
Agree about the hair. His barber may have needed a skip!

Wilson Pickett 12 August, 2019 12:04
Massively deserved !!!!

A very big hats off to the coaches as well.

AlexC 12 August, 2019 12:06
From the beeb...

Squad in full
England Rugby World Cup squad announcement

Forwards: Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers, 86 caps) **

Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 12 caps)

Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 11 caps)

Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 10 caps)

Jamie George (Saracens, 37 caps) *

Maro Itoje (Saracens, 27 caps)

George Kruis (Saracens, 32 caps) *

Joe Launchbury (Wasps, 59 caps) *

Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 72 caps) **

Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints, 1 cap)

Joe Marler (Harlequins, 58 caps) *

Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins, 22 caps)

Jack Singleton (Saracens, 1 cap)

Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, 9 caps)

Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 42 caps) *

Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 53 caps) *

Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons / Sale Sharks, 13 caps)

Backs: Joe Cokanasiga (Bath Rugby, 5 caps)

Elliot Daly (Saracens, 31 caps)

Owen Farrell (Saracens, 70 caps) *

George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 56 caps) *

Piers Francis (Northampton Saints, 5 caps)

Willi Heinz (Gloucester Rugby, 1 cap)

Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby, 41 caps) *

Jonny May (Leicester Tigers, 45 caps) *

Ruaridh McConnochie (Bath Rugby, uncapped)

Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs, 33 caps) *

Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 22 caps) *

Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers, 33 caps) *

Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, 34 caps) *

Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 86 caps) **

* number of Rugby World Cup tournaments played

shendy 12 August, 2019 12:07
He's made it into the squad - good work young man!

Wilson Pickett 12 August, 2019 12:09
also bloody good stuff Piers

shendy 12 August, 2019 12:09
Courts has the 3rd most caps in the squad with 72 - behind Youngs and Cole, both on 86.

Walks11 12 August, 2019 12:16
Wow, really pleased for him (& Piers & Courts), he was brilliant for us last season

ramseysaint 12 August, 2019 12:27
Congratulations to the three of them. As someone who prefers club rugby I wish none of them were going, but I appreciate how important International rugby is to many. Good luck to them all.

fishface 12 August, 2019 13:08
Congratulations to all three and well done Lewis in particular.

A spectacular journey from Wanderers to World Cup.

It just shows how fickle sport is. If certain personnel changes had not taken place he might still have been
in the Wanderers despite his own impressive efforts !

Abington Adam 12 August, 2019 14:36
It always makes me proud to see Saints players earning their place in an England shirt, and even more so when it's the likes of Courtney and Lewis who've come through the academy. Well done to them and Piers, I hope they have a cracking world cup and return to us fit, healthy and with medals round their necks!

COME ON YOU SAINTS!
Church's Stand season ticket holder
EMRU Referee

tedge 12 August, 2019 14:56

Saint_ST 12 August, 2019 15:11
Very well deserved and such a mature performance so early in his career. Playing with such Heart, Pride and Passion I just have to believe that the influence of some of the senior saints players - Courtney, Dylan, Tom and more recently Cobus, have had a real influence on him. A full season under Chris Boyd has no doubt developed his game a great deal. With this continued commitment and approach to the game, I can see another great role model in the making. Early days I know, but very encouraging so far.

cparksaint 12 August, 2019 15:32
Great news. Told my son last season we were watching a future Saints captain.
Go well Lewis

Stockers 12 August, 2019 16:50
I am SO pleased for Lewis. Tremendous potential for Saints and England. He has a great engine and just never seems to stop.

Congrats to Courtney and Piers as well!

St Saltaire 12 August, 2019 18:06
Well done and congratulations to Courtney, Lewis and Piers. Best wishes for the RWC too!

John Tee 12 August, 2019 18:22
Looked very comfortable on debut. Will want to see more of him.
Even if it is not easy to follow the work of a 6, he stood out.
I think he would have beaten out a fit Shields on that evidence

Not sure about Francis.

LeicesterSaint 12 August, 2019 19:09
Very well done that man! Like Teimana still pretty small for an 8 but could work depending on the game Saints want to play. Did very well to channel how hyped he was, some big impacts and great work-rate but nothing silly.

I noticed quite a few anti-Piers comments even on the Saints FB pages, he's definitely underappreciated as he's not flash. He marshals the defence and does so much unselfish work. Watch again and take note of how many times when others broke the line he was the dummy runner drawing players to create that gap. Takes pressure off the ten by providing a second playmaker and kicking option. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but Boyd and Jones both seem to be fans. My concern is that he's brave but not the biggest for 12 so does seem to take knocks in most games.

What can we say about Courts? Just a quality player, that's one area England are particularly blessed in - not sure EJ intended to finish the game with four locks on the field though.....

tedge 12 August, 2019 19:16
Quote:
John Tee
Not sure about Francis.

Can't imagine why - imo, and it appears in EJ's, he is a very effective footballer who does the basics of a centre almost flawlessly. He instinctively knows when to break and when to off-load with invariably an accurate and often space creating pass and has demonstrated powerful finishing ability. Couple that with immense defence and the ability to play at 10 and to kick goals - what's not to like ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/08/2019 22:51 by tedge.

SaintMaul 12 August, 2019 21:35
From Lewis being let go by Saints as a youngster to fighting his way back, becoming a first team regular and within a season becoming an international going to the World Cup. I love a beating the odds sporting tale. I hope he enjoys it. He's earned it.

Aberavon Wizard 13 August, 2019 07:49
With the odd honourable exception, none of us have played the game at the higher echelons and as such we probably miss as much as we see. There were games when I barely noticed Rob Horne yet he got MOTM, I suspect Piers falls into the same category.

Scooby Saint COYS 13 August, 2019 08:33
Delighted for all 3

SaintMaul 13 August, 2019 22:38
6 back 3 players seems a luxury given only 4 will make the match day 23 and gambling on only 2 tightheads and scrum-halves.

A short-term injury or enforced HIA rest for either tighthead will mean they have to be replaced. So we could be forced into losing Sinckler and Youngs due to lack of cover.

I wonder if we'd have won the 2003 World Cup if Matt Dawson and Richard Hill had to be replaced due to them getting injured with no injury cover even though they were both fit for the Final.

shendy 14 August, 2019 07:16
I was at the England "Wear The Rose" event in Bristol yesterday, and made a point of seeking out Lewis - he seemed pleased to see a Saints fan and grateful for the support he's receiving. And I even got a selfie with him, something I rarely take!
Courtney was very popular and unfortunately Piers was nowhere to be seen - several of the players apparently left almost as soon as they arrived.

SaintGuy 14 August, 2019 09:11
Not great from Piers, however they probably get no free time inbetween training, travelling, recovery, analysis etc. Did not realise but has a baby due in around December so probably wants to use his free time to sort things out at home for their arrival before he goes away for several weeks. This is a complete guess though!

Wilson Pickett 14 August, 2019 11:00
I wouldn’t read too much into it. People have bad days etc

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net