Latest news:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Dan's the man!
Discussion started by pksaint , 13 August, 2019 07:30
Dan's the man!
pksaint 13 August, 2019 07:30
Looking like Wales going into the World Cup will have our Dan as the first choice 10 if this morning's reports are anything to go by.

Re: Dan's the man!
Aberavon Wizard 13 August, 2019 07:45
If I were Gatland, which I'm not, I would wrap Dan in cotton wool for the next couple of games.......

Neil-H 13 August, 2019 07:57
That's an interesting one though Houghton??

Yes you want to protect Dan, but you also need him to be match fit and no 'ring rust' as they say in boxing?

I feel he has to take part in some part in most of games they have left now?

Wilson Pickett 13 August, 2019 07:59
I donít agree. Heís fit, a competitor and has played with that Wales backline for years and years

If he gets injured their World Cup is over... so I wouldnít play him apart from maybe as a sub

But this is rugby so he will play and get injured

Neil-H 13 August, 2019 08:15
WP theres fit and theres match fit... 2 completely different things.... and I said some part, maybe 40mins a game, 20mins at end, I think he needs game time

Wilson Pickett 13 August, 2019 08:29
For forwards and centres sure but for a guy who spends most of the game stood waiting for the ball or tackling... I donít think itís so important. Risk vs reward for me isnít there for me. Theyíre playing England and Ireland twice, if it was Italy then maybe. Dan doesnít harbour much self preservation...

Neil-H 13 August, 2019 09:38
I totally see your point and understand what you are saying... I don't think there is a wrong or right answer and arguments on both sides

I think he will play

Is Rhys Patchell fit??? or is Priestland in line now?

Wilson Pickett 13 August, 2019 09:43
Oh sure Neil I see merit in your call of course. Iíve been lauding these games on another thread

I just think 10 is something different and Dan plays so damn hard, always body on the line. They just lost another playmaker, Anscombe, to injury...

Not sure on Patchell, Priestland is ok but not much more IMHO

Dragonboy 13 August, 2019 10:09
Judging by Sunday Dan needs game time as he was decidedly ring rusty I thought. Kicking from hand and for goal wasnít as good as what we saw in the GB&G last year. Maybe heís developing an allergy to red. Just hope he doesnít get involved in a pitch time reunion with Lewis and Courteney this weekend.

Neil-H 13 August, 2019 10:40
Wilson, I was asking about Pathcell n Priestland to see who else Wales would call into the squad?

N agree with you on PriestlandÖ he hit a rich vain of form last world cup and done little since imho

LeicesterSaint 13 August, 2019 11:07
Surely whoever is next of the rank needs the game time more? Biggs has at least been involved in all the prep so far and knows all the plays etc. Whoever steps in is going to need to get up to speed PDQ, that likely leaves Biggs on the bench getting a few minutes towards the end of games to get his eye in (preferably once Courts has been subbed off for England....).

SaintGuy 13 August, 2019 11:58
I think Patchell will be on the bench, with Biggar starting, Patchell starting next against Ireland. Schmidt and Gatland have discussed squad selections for those games, so maybe one will be a B team vs B team and one a full strength vs full strength game. Both need game time, Biggar is a class act but can be slightly conservative with Wales, whereas Anscombe was seen to be a bit looser/similar to Patchell.

These warm up games have to be played, whatever the cost of injury unfortunately. However Wales' choice to do 2 against England and 2 against Ireland does seem a tad too far, even with Gatland stating it is slightly risky (before the first England game)

Aberavon Wizard 13 August, 2019 13:21
Not that it really bothers me too much but beating England next weekend should not be too high a priority for Gatland. His back up outside half needs game time so maybe give Dan just twenty minutes or so. The war is the World Cup. the battles are the games in Japan, the game in Cardiff is just a little skirmish - same applies to England, match fitness, try a few things but don't worry too much about the scoreline.

ramseysaint 13 August, 2019 14:52
Just as long as Courtney doesn't try to break him in two at the weekend.

Saintlyg 13 August, 2019 15:06
It's okay. Dan is a fly half. Courts just bends/breaks scrrum halfs.

Dragonboy 13 August, 2019 18:18
Quote:
Saintlyg
It's okay. Dan is a fly half. Courts just bends/breaks scrrum halfs.
I think Jules Plisson Toby Flood and Andy Farrell might disagree there and if youíre thinking of Morgan Parra he does play 10 at times but I agree he was well and truly when playing against us at 9.

LeicesterSaint 14 August, 2019 12:10
It's anyone who is stupid/brave enough to either try and give a late pass or crab across trying to make a gap - that means it is usually 9's and 10's! That's not really Biggs' style of play so fingers crossed they don't see much of each other.

On the other hand from an England perspective I wouldn't mind a decent hit from him on the Welsh 9 that walked through half the defence for their first try at the weekend....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net