Co captains
Discussion started by BrianB (IP Logged), 10 September, 2019 11:07
BrianB
BrianB
10 September, 2019 11:07

white lion
white lion
10 September, 2019 11:12
A captain should be able to command a first team place. I am an admirer of Alex but is he a shoo-in for the starting XV?

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett
10 September, 2019 11:26
...... and thatís why Teimana is also captain

Well done Tei! Brilliant stuff.

remember props and hookers are substituted

Alex can do the stuff around the camp, lead when on the pitch too

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2019 11:27 by Wilson Pickett.

Dragonboy
Dragonboy
10 September, 2019 11:28
Quote:
white lion
A captain should be able to command a first team place. I am an admirer of Alex but is he a shoo-in for the starting XV?
On the evidence of last season I think not but a good bet for the 23 and props and hookers are usually changed during a game. No 8 not always, so makes sense to me plus I see Tei as a long term captain

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul
10 September, 2019 11:47
I wouldn't be surprised if Tei becomes sole Captain the following season, with him growing into the role in partnership with Alex this season.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett
10 September, 2019 12:00
very good point Maul

LeicesterSaint
LeicesterSaint
10 September, 2019 12:00
Loved his acceptance speech - he will set the tone with actions and lead from the front with physicality. We've got plenty of more cerebral leaders on the pitch like Biggs and Francis to call plays etc.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey
10 September, 2019 12:02
I see the co-captains as a way of easing Tei into the role.

He also has a very young child so may not be able to dedicate the amount of time required of a sole captain.

Tei has never given anything less than 100% and is a cracking candidate.

on another note, is this the beginning of the end for Dylan? Still invaluable around the club but are his days numbered on the pitch? Hopefully there will be a role for him within the club once his playing days are over.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2019 12:04 by Saint Stokey.

ajack
ajack
10 September, 2019 12:44
The truth is none, or at least very few of us (certainly not me) have any idea who does what behind the scenes has input into selection runs training or has input into it the list goes on. Only going on a pod cast with Haskell but Alex seems very influencial within the camp and well liked and respected so keeping that continuity going whilst building for the future seems a very logical step to take.

Yorkie Saint
Yorkie Saint
10 September, 2019 13:15
for we thickies at the back, can anyone share why Alex is called Sue?

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts
10 September, 2019 13:36
I fully expect Alex Waller to come back strong this season. When on form he is very good, not world class but still decent.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey
10 September, 2019 14:35
Quote:
Yorkie Saint

and why is Tei called Mince?

Dragonboy
Dragonboy
10 September, 2019 14:56
Quote:
Duckonstilts
I fully expect Alex Waller to come back strong this season. When on form he is very good, not world class but still decent.
going back over the years we have Gary Pagel. Tom Smith. Tiny and then Alex Corbisiero. Since then Alex Waller has held the shirt but really we had 4 world class no 1ís whereas Alex Waller is not even international standard and is very much in the good clubman team with Harvey Thorneycroft, John Phillips, Frank Packman et al. If as a club we want to move forward we really must aim higher and make recruitment of a world class number 1 a priority for when the start of the next round of recruiting comes along in 2 and a half months time.

MESSAGES->author
shendy
10 September, 2019 15:16
I believe Sue is his mum's name - but quite why they call him that, I don't know!

GOD
Saintsby
10 September, 2019 15:21
Well done Tei and well deserved, that'l do chap that'l do thumbs down

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts
10 September, 2019 15:34
Dragon, i agree with the sentiment but in reality, only the ABs can expect world class players in every position.

We should always aim for better and at 29 Alex is not going to get much better but he will likely be a fixture for another 4 years and do a very good job. I like a combination of grizzled old pro and young tykes in the front row who offer the horses for courses we need to fight on all fronts. Alex may well become the latter so lets see how the Academy does filling the slots first and then if we cant grow our own lets spend big.

TBH, a couple of Franks cant be that bad. So we know we can attract decent props if we need to.

I do however think next year Tei should be captain on his own. A player you can build around.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey
10 September, 2019 15:44
Quote:
Duckonstilts
TBH, a couple of Franks cant be that bad.

I wonder if there are any mini-Franks that might like to follow in their fathers' footsteps? We're doing quite well with the family links at the moment.

tedge
tedge
10 September, 2019 16:58
"Co-captains" is a NZ favourite - Smudger did it too - not sure why they like it or if it works

cparksaint
cparksaint
10 September, 2019 17:07
Think Lewis Ludlam could be a good bet for captain in the not too distant future.

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts
10 September, 2019 17:38
Quote:
cparksaint
Think Lewis Ludlam could be a good bet for captain in the not too distant future.

Could be, he seems unstoppable in progression right now :-)

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett
10 September, 2019 17:53
This wonít be the primary reason at all but it also means Tei will stay. Iím sure French clubs would be sniffing around given his quality and not making RWC squad.

Scooby Saint COYS
Scooby Saint COYS
10 September, 2019 18:18
Delighted for both. Iíve a funny feeling that Tei will raise his game to even greater heights with the regular responsibility of captaincy.

Quote:
Wilson Pickett
This wonít be the primary reason at all but it also means Tei will stay.

Yikes- I hadnít even thought about him leaving. Certainly hope youíre right!

jimmies
jimmies
10 September, 2019 18:41
I'm stupid happy for Tei and we all know this will mean the world to him. I have no doubt about his skill level and commitment BUT...does this mean that we are not going to sign up our Louis P replacement if Tei is Captain (com or otherwise).....8 is an area we could do with recruiting in no??

shiversaint
shiversaint
10 September, 2019 19:23
Recruitment for an 8 would have happened already if it was going to, I think. I expect we might be on the lookout for a youngun post world cup.

fleetg
fleetg
10 September, 2019 21:16
Delighted for Tei : was my shout a year or 2 back and I think he was ready then.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett
10 September, 2019 22:29
Yeah agree, nothing wrong with having a wonderful prediction just 1 year wrong

JohnI
JohnI
11 September, 2019 08:36
If youíve ever met Sue or know her then youíll know that she is probably Alex and Ethanís biggest fan and is probably one of the biggest influences in where they are now and being so very sociable the boss has met her on a number of occasions and realises where they get their persona from.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett
11 September, 2019 08:39
Quote:
shiversaint
Recruitment for an 8 would have happened already if it was going to, I think. I expect we might be on the lookout for a youngun post world cup.

Tui Uru

Already signed a youngun

fleetg
fleetg
11 September, 2019 09:08
Very good WP !
Next thing you'll be crowing that Saints will be League and European Cup double winners 2020 when everybody know it will be 2021 😉😉😉

17 stone bull
Bustabloodvessel
11 September, 2019 09:27
Deleted

"I HAVE A BIG ONE".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2019 09:31 by Bustabloodvessel.

17 stone bull
Bustabloodvessel
11 September, 2019 09:30
Quote:
Saint Stokey
Quote:
Yorkie Saint

and why is Tei called Mince?

I understand tei is called mince because he has mince on toast for breakfast

"I HAVE A BIG ONE".

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett
11 September, 2019 10:02
Iím gonna have to try that!

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey
11 September, 2019 10:50
Mince on Toast? bit odd.

I wonder if anyone is nicknamed Egg?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2019 10:51 by Saint Stokey.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett
11 September, 2019 17:15
Honey monster

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net