Latest news:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Team news? What news?
Discussion started by manxsaint (IP Logged), 11 September, 2019 12:53
manxsaint
manxsaint
11 September, 2019 12:53
I am well aware that it's ONLY a pre-season friendly but . . . .
Rang the Gardens a few minutes ago to enquire when we might expect news of the team for tomorrow's game -
pointed out ever so gently that the Leinster team news had been online for at least an hour - was told "Oh, it'll be
announced sometime today."
Same old Saints, sadly - supporters always seem to come last.

tedge
tedge
11 September, 2019 13:04
Sometimes the squad for such matches wouldn't be known until you arrived at FG and if you were lucky got a team sheet - not that it matters in the least imo. If it's being announced today that's a plus - surely the day before is in plenty of time for anybody ?

manxsaint
manxsaint
11 September, 2019 13:12
I see your point, Tedge - but over a long period of years I've kept a whole raft of Saints-supporting friends up-to-the-minute
with things like team news - poor so-and-sos have to work, whereas I'm at the computer for most of the day - and I wanted to
let them know the team news before I have to go out this afternoon! :-)

MESSAGES->author
Connorman
11 September, 2019 13:16
Quote:
manxsaint

This is a joke, right?

MESSAGES->author
Abington Adam
11 September, 2019 13:17
Quote:
manxsaint
Rang the Gardens a few minutes ago to enquire when we might expect news of the team for tomorrow's game -
pointed out ever so gently that the Leinster team news had been online for at least an hour - was told "Oh, it'll be

I think that last line is OTT, especially when Mark Darbon et al have (IMO) made an effort to improve relations between the club and supporters. Presumably for a friendly there are no competition regulations that determine when lineups have to be announced, so it may be the case that Chris Boyd hasn't done the necessary paperwork yet.

COME ON YOU SAINTS!
Church's Stand season ticket holder
EMRU Referee

tedge
tedge
11 September, 2019 13:21
Quote:
Connorman
Quote:
manxsaint

This is a joke, right?

Sadly, Connorman, I think not. Actually I would be surprised if all the players knew yet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2019 13:23 by tedge.

Saint Ted
Saint Ted
11 September, 2019 13:31
It's a pre season match, pretty much anyone available will get some game time, it wont be a team announcement, a squad one.

Pre-season games arent there for the fans enjoyment, it's for the lads to get a hit out, we the fan learn very little and can read very little into them

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey
11 September, 2019 13:39
Given that this is 'only' a friendly, I would imagine that we'll see a whole raft of substitutions, possibly 2 different teams.

Perhaps, as mentioned, there is no regulation stating that it is required, perhaps there are some late fitness tests awaiting results or perhaps there isn't enough room on a sheet of A4 to list all of the names is a suitably sized font given all the hoo-haa over the size of the key-fob fixtures font size.

I also agree with the statement that the Board has massive strides forward with regards to supporter inclusivity. At no point have we seen such clarity from the club, eg. injury updates and player insights.

Same old supporters - sadly, some supporters are never happy.

manxsaint
manxsaint
11 September, 2019 14:03
My apologies for stirring up a hornets nest - I'm actually very happy with the way the club is being run nowadays and the way supporters are kept 'in the loop'. I've been a Saints season ticket holder since 1985 and a supporter from way beyond then, although I played my rugby for someone else - and it's better nowadays than it's ever been. Sorry if my original message was poorly worded - an attempt at humour (and I'm normally quite good at that - I make my living writing radio comedy!) - and sorry if I've upset anybody!

LadySaint77
LadySaint77
11 September, 2019 14:32
Quote:
manxsaint

Rather unfair imho - especially as its a friendly where almost everyone will have a run I assume.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey
11 September, 2019 14:35
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm looking forward to seeing this 'slimmed down' Big Medium T! Now we know how to use him, he could be a real weapon for us.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey
11 September, 2019 14:37

tboullem
Houghton Saint
11 September, 2019 14:46
Au contraire - I think it is quite reasonable to expect the club to put out its starting XV even if the replacements list has twenty-five names on it. We know who is on world cup duty and the sevens squad for the weekend has been announced so if Leinster can name a team then so can Saints.
These games are always a bit of a farce when the entire team changes at half time but a chance nonetheless to renew old acquaintances, check out the shop, see whats changed since last season etc etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2019 14:47 by Houghton Saint.

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts
11 September, 2019 14:52
I understand that they want to give everyone a run and try lots of different things but I hope they avoid the rolling subs we have often seen and go for a First half team / second half team. It would keep the game flowing while still giving everyone a chance.

Still, we probably should expect some kind of team announcement, even if its just to generate a news story that might remind a few people this match is on.

LadySaint77
LadySaint77
11 September, 2019 15:26
Ive no doubt they'll name a team. Kick-off is 7.30pm isn't it, so not even 24hrs yet?

MESSAGES->author
Stockers
11 September, 2019 15:37
Does it really matter?

manxsaint
manxsaint
11 September, 2019 15:40
No, Stockers, you're quite right - it doesn't really matter! This all started with a slightly jokey comment from me just because I had a
bit of time to kill! :-)

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett
11 September, 2019 17:13
Who really gives a monkeys ????

honestly some people just like to moan

LadySaint77
LadySaint77
11 September, 2019 17:14
Quote:
manxsaint
No, Stockers, you're quite right - it doesn't really matter! This all started with a slightly jokey comment from me just because I had a
bit of time to kill! :-)

And here it is: [www.northamptonsaints.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net