Latest news:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

England team to play France
Discussion started by Scrummy (IP Logged), 08 October, 2019 00:26
Scrummy
Scrummy
08 October, 2019 00:26
As quarter final qualification is already sorted, this is our last chance to use the squad depth before knockout rugby begins. So my starting XV to play France would be:-

1) Genge
2) Cowan-Dickie
3) Cole
4) Lawes
5) Launchbury
6) Ludlam
7)Underhill
8) Wilson

9) Heinz
10) Slade
11) Cockanasiga
12) Francis
13) Joseph
14) Nowell
15) Watson

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul
08 October, 2019 07:28
Looks good to me. I suspect Eddie might go for a more experience/leadership. Plus it makes sense to test the 3 returning from injury players before the knock out stages when them pulling up with an injury could prove costly. The team look a lot more beatable without the go forward of Billy, Sinckler and Tuilagi.

1) VUNIPOLA
2) Cowan-Dickie
3) Cole
4) Lawes
5) Launchbury
6) Ludlam
7)Underhill
8) Wilson

9) Heinz
10) FORD
11) Cockanasiga
12) Francis
13) SLADE
14) Nowell
15) Watson

Stilo
Stilo
08 October, 2019 10:13
We need to make sure that we win the pool and France will be no pushover so I wouldn't change too much from the team that won last Saturday, Big Billy is injured so I would replace him with Wilson. Tuilagi was poor on Saturday and doesn't seem to fit with the Ford, Farrell axis and I would replace him with Joseph or Slade. I suspect that Kruis was brought in against Argentina for his extra bulk but I would play Courtney instead to rattle the French. Youngs as always kicked too much and poorly and I would give Heinz a chance although I dont rate him much either

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul
08 October, 2019 16:00
Billy V is in a protective boot so highly unlikely for France. England's scrum coach said it's precautionary and he'll be fine for the quarter finals - if that's to be believed.

SaintsAsh
SaintsAsh
08 October, 2019 20:33
Unlike club, scrum half is definitely England's weakness.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett
09 October, 2019 10:06
Typhoon = match abandoned = rest = draw = top group

Stilo
Stilo
09 October, 2019 10:20
Quote:
SaintsAsh
Unlike club, scrum half is definitely England's weakness.
Youngs is now England's most capped back!, more than Wilkinson, Dawson, Greenwood, Underwood etc. If he had been playing in the Dawson era I doubt that he would have got 1 cap.
9 has been a problem for England for a long time now, I just hope that the likes of Spencer, Mitchell & Randall continue their development to solve the problem.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey
09 October, 2019 10:50
Like it or not, Youngs & Heinz are our 9s. There doesn't seem a great deal of point dismissing them whilst they are in Japan and part of the squad. Lets just support them as we would Courtney, Lewis or Piers.

As for the team, I've read that there seems to be an illness going around the squad so it sounds like there may be a few more absentees than expected.
The sick players sound like Farrell and Cowan-Dickie with Billy V, Nowell and Marler missing training through injury.

With that in mind, my team for the Frenchies would be

1. Mako
2. Singleton
3. Cole
4. Lawes
5. Launchbury
6. Underhill
7. Ludlam
8. Wilson
9. Heinz
10. Ford
11. Cokanasiga
12. Francis
13. Slade
14. McConnachie
15. Watson

16. George
17. Genge
18. Sinkler
19. Itoje
20. Curry
21. Youngs
22. Joseph
23. Daly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2019 10:51 by Saint Stokey.

fair_weather_fan
fair_weather_fan
09 October, 2019 16:01
Lol I thought it was too early for Eddie to pick the team.

Fwiw mako will play as clearly needed game time. Billy will be rested. After that who knows. If we put put a midweek team and france don't there are scenarios that could play out. I would go for resting important starters in the pack it's the last they will get

MESSAGES->author
Le marseillais
09 October, 2019 18:31
French press says the match will be not delayed, but cancelled.
You're very lucky [:wor kid:]

ASM Clermont Auvergne supporter

Sir Hector
Sir Hector
10 October, 2019 03:48
We’ll find out in 10 mins when we get the official statement.

Sir Hector
Sir Hector
10 October, 2019 04:04
Confirmed, NZ v Italy and Eng vFra cancelled. Two points apiece.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett
10 October, 2019 07:26
Just listen to me in future

Stilo
Stilo
10 October, 2019 10:19
[quote Saint Stokey]Like it or not, Youngs & Heinz are our 9s. There doesn't seem a great deal of point dismissing them whilst they are in Japan and part of the squad. Lets just support them as we would Courtney, Lewis or Piers.

I do support them I was just responding to another post about scrum half being the weak point.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey
10 October, 2019 10:20
fair dos. Missed that bit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net