Watson Gets 4 Weeks
Discussion started by tedge (IP Logged), 09 October, 2019 16:26
tedge
tedge
09 October, 2019 16:26

BrianB
BrianB
09 October, 2019 17:13
“Contact was clearly made with the face of the Northampton player but the action was petulant rather than with any intent to cause injury."

I thought the push down on Symond's head was more worrying.

“The panel note that whilst the yellow card awarded to Northampton Saints 12 was not brought before them for consideration, it is disappointing to see actions of this nature in the professional game.”

At last! This kind of behaviour, including goading opponents, is not on. But it probably wasnt the only example by either side on Sunday!

Joe Davison
Toulousian Firefighter
09 October, 2019 21:02
Is that normal, to mention the player on the receiving end of the kick to the head? Have the panel watched any rugby - particularly the top two teams in the country? There’s holding at every ruck. Penalties are rarely given, let alone yellow cards. Are they saying Symonds deserved it?

St Marcus
St Marcus
09 October, 2019 23:18
Quote:
Toulousian Firefighter
Have the panel watched any rugby - particularly the top two teams in the country? There’s holding at every ruck. Penalties are rarely given, let alone yellow cards.

I think it was against Bath at home last season where Ludlam or other of our forwards kept being held at the ruck. This happened on about 5 occasions in the first half of the match before the referee penalised them. The ref I'm pretty sure was Tempest - which I suppose isn't that surprising. But I agree - often little is done about it...

MESSAGES->author
Matthew
10 October, 2019 09:13
Yep, remember a recent(ish) game where a Bath (?) player was given the yellow card for striking Itoje, who was holding him at the ruck. Would like to see it stopped - the yellow card for Symons on Sunday was deserved.

ACTUAL TRAINING FOOTAGE FROM
BEHIND THE SCENES AT SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

NottsSaint
NottsSaint
10 October, 2019 13:56
On balance there isn't much to argue about there, other than, if its yellow for holding on in a ruck, and they are going to enforce it, they need to enforce it.
Agree the push to the head is more of an issue to me, the 'kick to the head' at least to me looked like a player trying to kick their leg free, and it then accidentally hitting the head rather than trying to maliciously kick someone in the head.
I accept that 'kicking' your foot that close to someones head is asking for trouble, and so, he has rightly been penalised for it.

In the context of the game, it wasn't a factor in the results, indeed a lot of shouts for high tackles/side entry, probably were 50/50 and not given, but we were well beaten by a better side.
For a while we have looked a bit short of power and pace in the pack, we really need some go-forward to put our attack on the front foot, and perhaps more importantly stop opposition attacks from getting easy front foot ball, carries made ground though the mid field way too easily for my liking, and looked similar for a lot of last season.

early days this season, but its not filling me with confidence that we can build and push on from last year.

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts
10 October, 2019 14:23
NottsSaint,

I imagine we wont see another card for holding at a ruck for months. It should be a yellow card for anything blatant so we can stop this nonsense but i expect it wont happen. As for any contact with a players head especially one on the floor. Its dangerous. It should be a red if deliberate or very dangerous. What i dont get in this case is people are being banned for bad technique some days, others they get of for reckless play. Still though the team that suffers with players out for weeks or months dont get much compensation. Perhaps we back it up with a points swap. Team A looses a point, Team B gains one. Dangerous road but perhaps that will tell people to play safe.

I think we are missing a lot of our better defenders right now. There are few who work harder than Lawes and Ludlem in defence from the forwards. Tom Wood also puts in a lot of work. In the backs Biggar and Francis are very hard working too, especially organising the defence.

We have very good players but it feels like the organisation is missing at times and thats no surprise with so many leaders missing. We are ok in the forwards with people like Tei, Waller, Franks, Wood and Ribbans but behind them we dont have the same right now.

I cant see who we can bring in right now though so we just have to trust the youth and hope they develop quickly. Will be good for the future.

MESSAGES->author
shendy
10 October, 2019 15:44
The card for holding on was only given because it caused the red card incident - nothing would have happened otherwise.
My view of it is different to Notts' - it looked more than an accidental contact while shaking his leg free. He *knew* the player was there as he'd just shoved his head!

JohnI
JohnI
10 October, 2019 21:35
It was a deserved yellow for holding and a definite red for the kick. The thing that annoyed me more than the actual kick by Watson was the comments by Austin Healey on BT Sport practically defending Watson’s action as legitimate because Symons was holding on.
BT Sport please stop letting Healey commentate on Saints matches because his inability to be neutral is so obvious it’s beyond belief, additionally I personally think he is a terrible commentator on any game.

MESSAGES->author
shendy
11 October, 2019 08:10
By way of contrast, I enjoy Austin Healey. He gets some things wrong (like Watson's kick) but he's a good analyst.

Sarriebone
Sarriebone
11 October, 2019 12:16
Quote:
JohnI
It was a deserved yellow for holding and a definite red for the kick. The thing that annoyed me more than the actual kick by Watson was the comments by Austin Healey on BT Sport practically defending Watson’s action as legitimate because Symons was holding on.
BT Sport please stop letting Healey commentate on Saints matches because his inability to be neutral is so obvious it’s beyond belief, additionally I personally think he is a terrible commentator on any game.
To be fair to Healey, post match when they were discussing it he changed his mind having seen a different angle to the ones he saw during the match.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net