Latest news:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Dan Biggar
Discussion started by Sir Hector (IP Logged), 10 October, 2019 03:45
Sir Hector
Sir Hector
10 October, 2019 03:45
I’m very worried for Dan after the game yesterday. I was at the gardens when big George took Hughes’ knee the other season, and it was not nice to watch. Last night we were in Oita and had a very clear view of the incident. Quite frankly I was sick to my stomach! From the front of the second tier on halfway it was like watching a car crash in slo-mo as Liam and Dan ran in for the ball. Dan was spark out from the initial hit from Liam and crashed into him again on his way down to hit the turf in a crumpled heap. It was several seconds before he moved, I was just beginning to think the worst when finally his arm twitched. In my view that has to be the end of his World Cup and he needs to have the very best medical attention/assessment before being allowed to return to play. Quite how he got back to his feet and jogged off I’ll never know!
Just as worrying are Gatland’s oh so clever post match comments about him being withdrawn and not having been subject to an HIA, conveniently opening the door to circumvent any protocols. And as for saying “we might have someone take a look at him”, well I’m just flabbergasted he can be so flippant over player welfare in public. Shame on you Warren!

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul
10 October, 2019 07:19
Only one of the 10 red cards this World Cup (including reds from citings post-game) looked as awful for actual trauma suffered to the head as opposed to risk as Dan's accidental collision with his teammate. The Samoan head on head tackle red in Samoa's first game where the Samoan player knocked himself out as well.

I'd agree World Rugby need to ensure Dan (as well as other players like Farrell) are properly assessed and coaches arent able to circumvent the protections.

Gatland/Wales have form for not properly dealing with head injuries and with Anscombe injured and Dan so crucial to Wales' chances there is a real risk here of decisions made ignoring player welfare.

Players get injured on international duty and their clubs aren't ordinarily entitled to compensation but if they play Dan without properly assessing him and acting on that assessement and he gets concussion leading to a long lay off back at Saints, I can see grounds for a claim/compensation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2019 07:35 by SaintMaul.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett
10 October, 2019 07:24
Yet some on here feel dangerous high tackles to the head shouldn’t be red cards

MESSAGES->author
shendy
10 October, 2019 08:08
Can someone be penalised for dangerous play in taking out their own player?

MESSAGES->author
Chris Hoddle
10 October, 2019 08:20
One of the commentators said in the second half that Dan was on the touchline laughing and joking. I didn't see the incident but if he was "spark" out he would have to have a rest?

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

Sir Hector
Sir Hector
10 October, 2019 08:36
For once walesonline aren’t over sensationalising:-

Link

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts
10 October, 2019 09:32
Quote:
shendy

I hope so. You have just as much responsibility for your team mates as you do the opposition.

Now if you want to be silly, How much of the scrum is technically against the new laws on "Contact above the shoulder" :-)

Saintlyg
Saintlyg
10 October, 2019 10:01
Surely Liam William should have been carded. First he contact with Dan's head, then he kneed him in the head on the way down. Finally Dan's head hit the with major force.*

Not sure which part knocked Dan sparkco but it's quite possible that his world cup is over. Could possibly mean Saints will have to use Grayson for some time whilst Dan recovers (no dis-respect meant). I hope Wales don't rush him back, as they did with George North. He needs proper time to recover.

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey
10 October, 2019 10:19
At what point do we look at cover? Perhaps we could look at B Barrett on a loan before his Blues season restarts

Stilo
Stilo
10 October, 2019 10:22
[quote Saintlyg]Surely Liam William should have been carded. First he contact with Dan's head, then he kneed him in the head on the way down. Finally Dan's head hit the with major force.*

I assume that you are having a laugh? They both went for the ball and collided.

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts
10 October, 2019 10:30
It does read like he is having a laugh :-)

ajack
ajack
10 October, 2019 10:56
Asterisk the Gaul is the clue Silo.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett
10 October, 2019 12:39
Quote:
shendy

The point I was making is that we have had a fair number of players who have had multiple concussions. Comments such as “its a contact sport” when we have guys out of the game for long periods needs a rethink.

MESSAGES->author
Stockers
10 October, 2019 14:13
On the Beeb,

"Biggar was hurt when he clashed with Wales full-back Liam Williams during the second half against Fiji.

The Northampton Saints stand-off failed a head injury assessment (HIA) in Wales' previous match against Australia.

Gatland said Biggar would be assessed before the quarter-final.

"He didn't do a HIA against Fiji, he was just removed from the field," said Gatland.

"It means that he won't be in consideration for Sunday and he will have to go through protocols.

"We'll probably get someone to look at him as well."

BBC Update

grampian
grampian
12 October, 2019 15:41
It's bad enough that we have a number of players out after playing for the Saints so as someone who would rather watch a good League game than an international (sorry if anyone finds that offensive!) my main thought whenever I see any of our internationals is to hope that they don't get injured.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net