ramseysaint
ramseysaint
10 October, 2019 05:23
According to the been

[www.bbc.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
SaintMaul
10 October, 2019 06:46
Whilst England may be undercooked for the quarters the positives are players will be rested before three (hopefully) knock out games. Plus no risk of injuries or banned players due to red cards.

I feel for the fans who have travelled specifically for this match.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett
10 October, 2019 07:22
Just got back from Japan. I can’t imagine how I’d feel if i went out there targeting the France game and it was cancelled

ajack
ajack
10 October, 2019 07:44
Probably worse for the Scots if there game is cancelled as it sends them out of the world cup.

ch saint
ch saint
10 October, 2019 07:50
Before leaving for Japan Eddie J is quoted as saying that without doubt matches will be disrupted by the typhoon season.
Why then hold the competition at this time of the year in view of the cost and disappointment to supporters.

Sir Hector
Sir Hector
10 October, 2019 08:30
Somewhat fortuitously, the England v France game is the one game we didn’t plan to see, currently in Kyushu for the two Wales games down here. My experiences so far are that the Japanese are fantastic when they have a plan and everything works. Thinking on their feet and reacting appropriately is something they really struggle with. Changing venues or dates with 24 hours notice would be a complete disaster, and likely end up with travelling spectators in all sorts of bother, far better to cancel and accept the disappointment. Talk here is that the typhoons blow through very quickly so unless there is infrastructure damage the chances are Hagibis won’t impact the Scotland game.

twsaint
twsaint
10 October, 2019 08:59
Terrible lack of planning. They knew this was possible ages ago and did nothing. Scotland could be facing a stitch up to put Japan through.

MESSAGES->author
Abington Adam
10 October, 2019 09:09
I don't think an extreme typhoon counts as a stitch up, unless the Almighty is in on the con winking smiley

The Torygraph says that Japan v Scotland is expected to go ahead. ABs v Italy cancelled as well.

COME ON YOU SAINTS!
Church's Stand season ticket holder
EMRU Referee

Saint Stokey
Saint Stokey
10 October, 2019 09:24
Yes its disappointing to have them cancelled, but better that than having casualties.

On another note, congratulations to Italy on nilling All Blacks! Amazing defensive work and incredible levels of discipline to not even allow a shot at goal. All Blacks attack looking poor.

Sir Hector
Sir Hector
10 October, 2019 09:27
I’m pretty certain it’s just not feasible to have a back-up plan/contingency for such eventualities. Basically you have two options; alternative venue to relocate to and alternative date to postpone to. Whilst it may be possible to have a few openings that might work, you can’t cover all of the pool fixtures and keep the schedule to just three weeks without reducing turnaround times between fixtures. Similarly, unless you have a standard stadium configuration, tickets won’t work across differing venues. Let alone the impact on hotel room, flights and rail ticket bookings for all of the supporters. As I said earlier, the Japanese are near incapable of handling any flex or change. They can meticulously manage option A but ask for plan B and it ain’t going to happen. So, tell everyone in advance the implications of cancellation, and then if need be, do it. Which is exactly what they’ve done. In my view that is anything but a “terrible lack of planning”.

Duckonstilts
Duckonstilts
10 October, 2019 09:29
Its the right decision, and you cant control the weather. Saying its a possibility is true but there is no way of knowing when or where it would hit.

If a bit of weather was a reason not to stage a sports event we would never play cricket in England again.

Santiago14
Santiago
10 October, 2019 10:40
[www.planetrugby.com]

A useful map that shows the typhoon path and timeline and match venues. I hadn't realised that the Japanese Gran Prix was also this weekend and potentially affected.

SaintGuy
SaintGuy
10 October, 2019 10:43
Quote:
Wilson Pickett
Just got back from Japan. I can’t imagine how I’d feel if i went out there targeting the France game and it was cancelled

Flying tonight to see this match, luckily staying for the quarters and semis, but pretty gutted as would of gone next Thursday instead (saving a lot of money and work)!

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H
10 October, 2019 10:44
Quote:
SaintMaul
Whilst England may be undercooked for the quarters the positives are players will be rested before three (hopefully) knock out games. Plus no risk of injuries or banned players due to red cards.
I feel for the fans who have travelled specifically for this match.

I’d disagree, I bet if asked Eddie would want to play the game, he had it all mapped out

The likes of Mako, Slade, Nowell were all going to start or feature heavily in this game to get much need proper game time.. all 3 would be in England’s match day 23 if not start, so it’s a big hit on these players and a big question is do they start in quarters with so little game time and how long would they last and then if an injury during the game could they last 80????

If they’d got game time against France wouldn’t be such a risk?

Yes no risk of further injuries, but a big hit on some important players.

I to also feel for the fans gone out there, I have group of Scots friends from my club who all flew out for the last 2 Scots games and it wasn’t cheap and so looking forward to Sunday’s match!!!!

Awaywin
Awaywin
10 October, 2019 12:34
I fly out on Saturday with my first match being Japan vs Scotland on Sunday.

Looks like with the cancellation I will be watching Wales vs France in the quarter final and hoping to catch England in the Semi Final vs New Zealand all being well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2019 12:34 by Awaywin.

HungryLikeTheWolf
Wilson Pickett
10 October, 2019 12:41
Have a great time all. It’s a wonderful place with equally wonderful people (and food!)....

twsaint
twsaint
10 October, 2019 21:45
Play anywhere in Japan behind closed doors if necessary. If a quarter final is hit, things will soon be sorted.

With the current prospect of ABs v Japan in Tokyo next Saturday, rightly or wrongly , many will call foul.

MESSAGES->author
Neil-H
10 October, 2019 22:37
The knock out games have contingency built in to the schedule, it’s just group games that are made 0-0

Scooby Saint COYS
Scooby Saint COYS
11 October, 2019 08:28
Quote:
Sir Hector
the Japanese are near incapable of handling any flex or change. They can meticulously manage option A but ask for plan B and it ain’t going to happen. So, tell everyone in advance the implications of cancellation, and then if need be, do it. Which is exactly what they’ve done. In my view that is anything but a “terrible lack of planning”.

Having lived in Japan for a couple of years when I was younger, I know I’m a bit defensive about perceived criticisms of ‘the Japanese.’

That said... this seems to be at least as much World Rugby’s decisions as anyone else’s?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2019 09:18 by Scooby Saint COYS.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net