Latest news:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Biggs
Discussion started by LeicesterSaint , 14 October, 2019 12:33
Biggs
LeicesterSaint 14 October, 2019 12:33
Not much of an update but all I've seen so far - [www.thetimes.co.uk]

Could be interpreted as he's fine or just that Gats is determined for him to play as long as his head is still physically attached to his body!

Re: Biggs
Saint Stokey 14 October, 2019 13:04
I guess Gatland's view is one of Wales above all else!

The World Cup is his Welsh swansong before going to the Chiefs, i believe; so he's unlikely to really be overly concerned is any of his squad miss extra time when they return to their clubs.

tedge 14 October, 2019 13:34
Biggar will either have passed the concussion protocols or not. If he has and is fit to play then he will return to Saints fit to play, providing he doesn't suffer another concussion. In any event he will have an extended rest period post-world cup before Saints select him again.

Saint Stokey 14 October, 2019 13:44
But since he didn't go off under an HIA, didn't Gatland say that there were no concussion protocols, only that he might be looked at.

As long as there is a medical professional that is prepared to overrule Gatland should Biggar not be 100%. There's more to life than Wales winning a Quarter final... there's Saints making top 4!

BrianB 14 October, 2019 14:49
I think gatland said that there was no HIA. I am presuming that was because it was obvious that Dan was concussed! As has been said, concussion protocols should now be in motion.

Wilson Pickett 14 October, 2019 15:55
He has concussion issues so any head knock, just take him off

Chris Hoddle 14 October, 2019 16:25
They said on the pre wales game commentary that he was going through the protocols. They also explained exactly what is was that each day for 6 days they had to do more that was game related. If he had any reoccurrence then he would go back to day one.
On Saturday he was seen place kicking in the warm up, this was one of his protocols for that day.

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

BrianB 14 October, 2019 16:45
Cheers Chris.

Saint Stokey 14 October, 2019 17:08
If he doesn't make the next game, I can see him potentially being out until the new year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/10/2019 17:08 by Saint Stokey.

Sir Hector 15 October, 2019 11:50
I was surprised to see him on the pitch before the Uruguay match but youíre probably right Chris. He looked fine, was kicking well from the tee and exchanging kick passes with Liam. He was also laughing and joking with players and staff which given the description of some of the symptoms of concussion suggests that heís probably symptom free. All of which is very good news. I still donít like Gatlandís attitude though, itís not a subject to make light of or trivialise!

Saint Stokey 15 October, 2019 14:36
I don't know a great deal about the symptoms of concussion, but is it possible that the adrenaline of a World Cup match could mask any symptoms?

Dragonboy 15 October, 2019 14:42
Quote:
Saint Stokey
I don't know a great deal about the symptoms of concussion, but is it possible that the adrenaline of a World Cup match could mask any symptoms?
Thats cautious then because two posts ago you were predicting him possibly being out till the new year yet now you donít know a great deal about the symptoms of concussion.

Saint Stokey 15 October, 2019 15:13
i'm no medical professional, but having seen what's happened with the likes of Brussow, North, Hartley and Furbank, repeated head injuries can result in a lengthy absence.

My 'until the new year' comment was based upon Biggar being taken off for a head injuries on multiple occasions and should he not be available due to head injury, I could see that he would be off for a lengthy period.

I do apologise if i didn't make this clear.

Dragonboy 15 October, 2019 16:42
Whether he was or wasnít concussed Iíve no faith in Gatland at all so the sooner Dans under the care of the Club the better.

LeicesterSaint 16 October, 2019 17:16
Again no expert but my understanding is that it is so difficult because concussion manifests differently with each player - there are some common symptoms but they are not always present in all circumstances. Ultimately a player will probably know best if they just aren't quite right but although the culture has changed a little recently there will always be that temptation to downplay it in order to pass protocols and get back playing, especially in a world cup knock out game. We can only hope that coaches, medical staff and the players themselves take their own long term wellbeing as the most important factor - it's one thing to have shot knees at the end of a career, quite another to have taken too many blows to the head (or more importantly repeated blows in a short timeframe).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net