Latest news:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Saracens fans being abused in the street!
Discussion started by Brackleysaint , 08 November, 2019 08:48
Saracens fans being abused in the street!
Brackleysaint 08 November, 2019 08:48
According to Nick Mullins on Twitter.

Re: Saracens fans being abused in the street!
Jamie_86 08 November, 2019 08:57
Outrageous. I do sometimes wonder what on earth is wrong with some people. How can they have grown up and live in a world where they think it's ok to do something like that.

They can't be real rugby fans.

Church's Stand - Block 20 - Row Q - Seat 700

Come and say hello!

Saintsby 08 November, 2019 08:57
If true that needs to be nipped in the bud PDQ no place for that in Rugby or any other sport for that matter.

smitferbrainz 08 November, 2019 08:59
Totally wrong. Difficult to stop Iím afraid.

Neil-H 08 November, 2019 09:00
Totally agree it is wrong, the majority of Sarries fans I know feel totally let down by the club,, but while their owner has attitude he has, he isn't helping things...

Saint Tim 08 November, 2019 09:07
Totally wrong. Sad endictment of our modern world.

Suspect they weren't rugby fans but that is a guess.

Duckonstilts 08 November, 2019 09:25
Its very wrong. I am abusing friends who are Saracens fans but i would never do it to a stranger. We need to stand together as fans. I am angry at Wray but not the supporters.

Neil-H 08 November, 2019 09:28
Quote:
Duckonstilts
Its very wrong. I am abusing friends who are Saracens fans but i would never do it to a stranger. We need to stand together as fans. I am angry at Wray but not the supporters.

To be fair Ducks, Ive been abusing my friends who are Saracens fans before this even broke.... but yes, its Wray and management who are in the wrong not the fans

Wilson Pickett 08 November, 2019 09:35
Dare I say the responses of their chairman have probably not helped

St_Bart 08 November, 2019 09:53
+1 WP

Neil-H 08 November, 2019 09:54
Agree, as I said earlier... his attitude isn't helping things sad smiley

Le marseillais 08 November, 2019 10:07
Would you please have a link about that ?

ASM Clermont Auvergne supporter

Wilson Pickett 08 November, 2019 10:25

Awaywin 08 November, 2019 10:25
Seems very much Fake News to me. Very rarely do you see rugby shirts being worn in the street, especially Saracens shirts. So how would you distinguish if they were a Saracens fan? I you were to distinguish this from the shirt you must then be a rugby supporter and make a comment based upon the news in a lighthearted manner. I think abuse would be a little strong.

Le marseillais 08 November, 2019 10:30
Quote:
Wilson Pickett
https://www.saracens.com/interview-with-nigel-wray/

Thank you Tommy, but not very understandable for me.
I'll try again later.

ASM Clermont Auvergne supporter

SaintMaul 08 November, 2019 10:50
Very sad. If we start mistreating other fans, it's a slippery slope until we end up with crowd segregation and lose part of what makes rugby special.

ramseysaint 08 November, 2019 10:55
Quote:
Awaywin
Seems very much Fake News to me. Very rarely do you see rugby shirts being worn in the street, especially Saracens shirts. So how would you distinguish if they were a Saracens fan? I you were to distinguish this from the shirt you must then be a rugby supporter and make a comment based upon the news in a lighthearted manner. I think abuse would be a little strong.

I always wear a Saints shirt when I'm out and about, now that the days are colder and wetter I'll be wearing my Saints hat, scarf and coat. My family do complain about me using the Saints shop as my main source of clothing.

It seems like fake news (I hate that term) to me too.

Thrupp artist 08 November, 2019 11:30
Whether or not it's true (and Wray's arrogance certainly does not help) it is probably what to expect in the real world. It is what I was trying to address in a previous thread regarding the atmosphere at Glos - disreputable scenes there will only serve to damage the game as a whole.

Wilson Pickett 08 November, 2019 11:45
A team has been busted cheating the rules

Theyíve been caught, heavily punished, and will now face ribbing from opposition fans

That is good for the game. Allowing it to continue would not have been.

Saint James 08 November, 2019 11:47
Not condoning abuse whatsoever if true. However if identified due to wearing a Sarries shirt 1/2 days following the news I can see how that might provoke an opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2019 11:48 by Saint James.

Siggy89 08 November, 2019 12:07
Sounds like a story released by Saracens PR department to try to garner sympathy.

PembsSaint 08 November, 2019 13:05
Quote:
Siggy89
Sounds like a story released by Saracens PR department to try to garner sympathy.

That went through my mind too -
Wearing a Saracens shirt/scarf or other overt identifier in the immediate aftermath of all thatís gone on this week sounds a bit dull

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2019 13:07 by PembsSaint.

Stockers 08 November, 2019 13:15
Gosh, in these modern times and with all the talk of diversity and inclusivity where everyone should be accepted and welcomed, no matter what their gender, sexual orientation, ability or disability, state of physical and mental health, we now have Saracens fans as a special group to add to the list!

Tigers on the other hand.....................*

Thrupp artist 08 November, 2019 13:18
Define ribbing? We all know that what may seem like lighthearted "banter" amongst like minded folks can become something totally different when it influences crowd behaviour. There are of course some interesting studies on the topic.

Toulousian Firefighter 08 November, 2019 14:00
Unless he's given much more of the details, I find this tweet quite irresponsible from Nick Mullins. "Abused in the streets" could mean anything. He doesn't appear to give anymore details. Besides, this could literally be 1 idiot doing the 'abusing'. Of course this is wrong but I don't think it means we should panic, bring in segregation, fences, armed police etc.

But hey, we're talking about this and not about the salary cap so this is good.

desbralass 08 November, 2019 14:44
To me,if Saints had been doing what Sarries have been accused of,I would hide my Saints colours from view..I would feel such shame.On the other hand,I would be proudly wearing my team's colours on matchday to support them..but not around town when this story had broken.Nick Mullins needs to clarify this statement before it gets out of hand.

Bridesmaids no more.

lilyg 08 November, 2019 15:53
Quote:
desbralass
To me,if Saints had been doing what Sarries have been accused of,I would hide my Saints colours from view..I would feel such shame.On the other hand,I would be proudly wearing my team's colours on matchday to support them..but not around town when this story had broken.Nick Mullins needs to clarify this statement before it gets out of hand.

I just said the same thing!

MarchingIn 08 November, 2019 22:24
Quote:
Stockers
Gosh, in these modern times and with all the talk of diversity and inclusivity where everyone should be accepted and welcomed, no matter what their gender, sexual orientation, ability or disability, state of physical and mental health, we now have Saracens fans as a special group to add to the list!
Tigers on the other hand.....................*

You can identify as whatever you like these days, ever the incredibly rare* lesser spotted North London Cheetah...

*around 7500 in the wild.

Longers 09 November, 2019 12:33
Quote:
Thrupp artist
Whether or not it's true (and Wray's arrogance certainly does not help) it is probably what to expect in the real world. It is what I was trying to address in a previous thread regarding the atmosphere at Glos - disreputable scenes there will only serve to damage the game as a whole.

So do I assume from this response that you do not think the game has already been seriously damaged?

"Whether it's true or not?" Well that's enough to hang the offender isn't it? Has there been anything other than one tweet, not in evidence, or report of what form this "abuse" took? In the real world (?) it was probably what normal people would have called banter a few years ago.

I trust the Glos supporters to give Sarries a good reception - and to let them know exactly what the rugby fraternity think of their shenanigans and their chairman too.

Longers 09 November, 2019 12:33
Duplicated post deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2019 16:18 by Longers.

Saint 09 November, 2019 12:58
If saints ever got caught doing this I would expect a large majority of season ticket holders would return their season tickets in disgrace.

As would I expect fans from a lot of other clubs. That moral outlook is a significant cultural difference between the majority of Rugby clubs and Sarries who have a win at all cost outlook

Sans Culottes 09 November, 2019 21:05
Quote:
Saint
If saints ever got caught doing this I would expect a large majority of season ticket holders would return their season tickets in disgrace.
As would I expect fans from a lot of other clubs. That moral outlook is a significant cultural difference between the majority of Rugby clubs and Sarries who have a win at all cost outlook

This is maybe a problem for Sarries, you need to have large number of season ticket holders in the first place 😁

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net