Latest news:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Euro bans
Discussion started by shendy , 03 December, 2019 08:43
Euro bans
shendy 03 December, 2019 08:43
Given that we're back to the Champions Cup this coming weekend, I was wondering about outcomes from the various red cards in the last round.
[www.epcrugby.com]
[www.epcrugby.com]

Only 6 weeks for Bourgarit at La Rochelle for the eye contact.
The Committee upheld the red card decision finding that the act of foul play was deliberate and repeated with sustained pressure to Curry’s eye area.
It was decided that the offence was at the top end of World Rugby’s sanctions for contact with the eye area, however, it was also decided that there was no reason to consider a sanction greater than the minimum entry point of 12 weeks.
There were no aggravating factors, and taking into account the player’s guilty plea, clear disciplinary record and timely expression of remorse, the Committee reduced the sanction by the maximum of 50% before imposing a six-week suspension.

Du Plessis at Montpellier 5 weeks for the elbow against Gloucester.
The Committee upheld the red card decision finding that Du Plessis had struck Grobler to the head with his arm in a reckless manner. As contact to the head carries a minimum mandatory mid-range sanction, according to World Rugby’s regulations, six weeks was selected as the appropriate entry point.
Due to the player’s prior disciplinary record, the Committee added one week to the sanction, but it also took into consideration his guilty plea and timely expression of remorse and then reduced the sanction by two weeks before imposing a five-week suspension.

Both quite lenient in my view.

Re: Euro bans
LeicesterSaint 03 December, 2019 08:57
I agree, I don't see that there's ever any mitigation for eye poking/gouging if there is seen to be any intent at all.

Duckonstilts 03 December, 2019 09:27
Not sure how you can increase the penalty for a bad record and then reduce it for saying sorry. Its one of the other for me.

Dragonboy 03 December, 2019 09:29
It’s rather stupid of players not to plead guilty and show remorse given the volume of video evidence usually available so this really is milking the system. Their only genuine contrition is because they were caught in an act of foul play so yes these are wholly inappropriately lenient sentences in my opinion.

Saint Stokey 03 December, 2019 09:31
Do you think you get extra weeks off if you can cry on demand?*

BrianB 03 December, 2019 10:22
As long as you dont eat the biccies...

Dave Jackson 03 December, 2019 12:30
Bans in the Euro competition always seem shorter than the league ones. Not quite sure why but this has always been the case.

shendy 03 December, 2019 13:10
Quote:
Dave Jackson
Bans in the Euro competition always seem shorter than the league ones. Not quite sure why but this has always been the case.

There are some notable exceptions - Julien Dupuy got 24 weeks and David Attoub 70 weeks - both for "eye contact" with Stephen Ferris in the same game(!).
Those bans went down very badly with the French, if I recall...

herbie85 03 December, 2019 14:26
The eye gouge sanction is woeful. Only a week more than an elbow which didn't seem to have that much force. Red yes, but far less heinous than the gouge imho. Deliberate gouges should be season bans

shiversaint 03 December, 2019 19:33
Awfully short ban for eye gouging. Strange - it was as blatant as it comes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net