Latest news:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Ben Youngs
Discussion started by Saint Stokey , 03 December, 2019 11:47
Ben Youngs
Saint Stokey 03 December, 2019 11:47
The Rugby Paper writes...

I really hope that there's nothing in this but there seems to be more and more noise about it.

Hopefully its just agent talk.

Re: Ben Youngs
ajack 03 December, 2019 11:54
If it is true Boyd must want him and think he will add greatly to the squad. I cannot see it myself.

tedge 03 December, 2019 12:02
From what we've seen so far he would seem an unlikely Boyd type recruit but he is certainly a top class 9 imo

Rich. 03 December, 2019 12:04
Why ?? Accuracy and speed of passing away from the breakdown is what Saints need - his passing is far too hit and miss. Another classic on the weekend where his pass from in front of the sticks crawled along the ground rather than going to hand. Not that England deserved to win the RWC in any way but there were a couple of half-chances that were lost by his passing. Must be a better option that matches what Saints need in a SH

Awaywin 03 December, 2019 12:05
The same source that had 'Sopoaga maybe on his way out of Wasps' which was quashed by his own tweet a couple of days later ...

smitferbrainz 03 December, 2019 12:20
Just seems against the ethos that our coaching team is trying to build. The ethos is towards bringing through talent rather than buying expensive, ageing players.

Dragonboy 03 December, 2019 12:21
There was a thread on this on Sunday and the general consensus was this was contract talk by his agent trying to talk up his diminishing value with Tigers.

St Jerome 03 December, 2019 12:33
..............should talks with Tigers fail

this tells you everything you need to know.

Awaywin 03 December, 2019 12:38
May depend on how much he wants to play Championship Rugby ... too soon?

Stopsy 03 December, 2019 12:59
Rich - unfortunately that pass was after Youngs was subbed, so we have two dodgy 9s at least!

Saintsby 03 December, 2019 13:31
Please god No NO! a thousand times no. Although if Montpelier or other French club are waving wonga at Cobus to buy him out??? But even so with Alex Mitchell and Henry Taylor plus others coming through our academy really?

Stockers 03 December, 2019 13:34
Maybe he feels he can only get better with some of that Ol' Boydy Coaching Magic?

tigerburnie 03 December, 2019 14:50
If he was going anywhere you would think it would be outside the Premiership for a big pension contract, either France(unlikely) or Japan or the USA seem to be popular these days.

fair_weather_fan 03 December, 2019 15:37
Quote:
Saintsby
Please god No NO! a thousand times no. Although if Montpelier or other French club are waving wonga at Cobus to buy him out??? But even so with Alex Mitchell and Henry Taylor plus others coming through our academy really?

I agree. This would go against everything we have heard about Boyd and his approach to player development. We have one really promising young scrum half (Alex M) who is comparable in ability to Cobus but less experienced, albeit injured at the moment and we are hoping for a complete recovery. We have recruited Henry taylor who has let no-one down so far and presumably has some improvement in him through first team game time, who will therefore compete with AM. We have AM's brother on whom I would say the jury is still out at the moment, and the very promising Connor Tupai. So why on earth we would recruit a veteran on high money to add to these I have no idea, I cant believe there is any mileage in this whatsoever.

Aberavon Wizard 03 December, 2019 16:20
Agent spin I hope and nothing more - BY is a Tiger through and through and I cannot imagine for one moment that he would want to leave Welford Road for anything other than the inevitable French payday.

Saint Stokey 03 December, 2019 16:20
I don't want him, I don't think we need him. He's not good enough, quick enough, accurate enough and is totally against our ethos. Even his box kicks have been poor.

Not even if we signed him on Championship player money...

The only way i would accept him joining is if he was on Haskell money (reportedly £20k for the year) which we could reclaim in credits. Even then, I'd want him as very much a back up player.

St Saltaire 03 December, 2019 20:22
Iím sure itís Agent and new contract talk. Iím sure he would be a great success as backup to Alex Mitchell but also donít believe that he would contemplate a move to Saints. The Youngís family have a solid Tigers history.

NobbyClarke 04 December, 2019 10:26
Quote:
St Saltaire
Iím sure itís Agent and new contract talk. Iím sure he would be a great success as backup to Alex Mitchell but also donít believe that he would contemplate a move to Saints. The Youngís family have a solid Tigers history.

Can someone track down his agent and introduce them to Montpellier?

Saint Stokey 04 December, 2019 13:48
Indeed Nobby. World Cup finalist must be better than a 9 that barely featured.*

Tree Tops 04 December, 2019 14:50
I really hope this is a non starter, he would not get in my Saints 23 behind all of our scrum half! he's slow, doesn't look both ways and takes a dozen steps before he delivers the ball!

shendy 05 December, 2019 08:10
We're specifically mentioned by Geordan Murphy in relation to Youngs in this piece on Leicester hoping to retain their stars.
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Longers 05 December, 2019 10:32
If we display so much trust in Boyd for bringing on the younger players, that trust must also go the other way.

If, and I think that is a big "IF", Boyd has indicated a desire to sign him, there must be a very good reason.

No, I would not want him. But as I have been told elsewhere when suggesting something that seemed to be flying in the face of the coaches, they know better than we do.*

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net