Latest news:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Cobus gone at the end of season
Discussion started by Coltnet , 14 January, 2020 09:58
Cobus gone at the end of season
Coltnet 14 January, 2020 09:58

Re: Cobus gone at the end of season
NottsSaint 14 January, 2020 10:07
I know a lot of people have expressed they are comfortable loosing Cobus, as we have good up an coming cover.

I am not, its a real shame, but if he's made the decision its best for him, then so be it, good luck to him in the future.
He has real game changing quality, and stardust that (as yet) our other options do not.
His powerful, fast and last season i think he was our leading try scorer (I might be corrected on that)

To me he's significantly our best 9 option at the moment. That's not saying Taylor and Mitchel arn't good, they are, but just not as good IMO

So, its time for Taylor to really show he can step up (and Alex when returned).

lost in duston 14 January, 2020 10:08
Whilst it would have been great to have him stay, I think Mitch jnr will fill his role very well. And with his brother and Henry improving, weíve got good cover.

I wish him well on his next adventure in France.

tedge 14 January, 2020 10:08
World's worst kept secret but still a pity to lose an inspirational player. At least we will hopefully see him turning on those after burners for a few more months !

Wilson Pickett 14 January, 2020 10:09
Take the money, well deserved

Tarnelo 14 January, 2020 10:15
I agree that both Mitchell (A) and Taylor are perfectly adequate Premiership quality scrum halves, so its not a crisis. Cobus is a star though and I think we will really miss him - last match was a perfect example.

Saint Stokey 14 January, 2020 10:18
It's been a pleasure to watch him play but lets face it, with every year his pace is going to diminish a little at a time.

He has been fantastic for us and a real crowd pleaser but we have young cover that will stand us is good stead for years to come. Whilst they may not have the lightning pace, they have a different and potentially equally strong skill set.

Thanks Cobus, but the job's not done yet!

Abington Adam 14 January, 2020 10:26
He's one of those players who can justify the price of admission all by himself, so it's a huge shame to be losing him but our options at 9 are very good and it may not be the worst thing in the world to use Cobus's salary in another position.

COME ON YOU SAINTS!
Church's Stand season ticket holder
EMRU Referee

Chris Hoddle 14 January, 2020 10:27
Yes great player and will be sad to see him go. Having said that good luck to him.
(Sm128)

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

Walks11 14 January, 2020 10:30
Not overly fussed, good luck to him he has been fantastic for the most part of his Saints career. I do remember an awful lot on here questioning why we let Groom go and kept Cobus, was it more luck than judgement who knows but his game went from strength to strength afterwards. Itís unfortunate young Mitchell had such a serious injury as I think he could well have been our number 1 by now. We have a half a season to enjoy Cobus and hopefully that will give Taylor and Mitchell enough time to be 2 real stars come next season. Itís a short career and am sure we could nowhere near compete with the money on offer so canít really blame him

Nickd57 14 January, 2020 10:38
Has it been confirmed where he is going? Is it Montpellier?

Deesaint 14 January, 2020 10:39
Echoes of Jim Mallinder saying we will not miss Chris Ashton we have plenty who can fill his position

Corbus has been the difference between winning and losing on numerous occasions
He changed the game against Benetton

Hopefully we will be looking to recruit and not Ben Youngs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/01/2020 10:40 by Deesaint.

Neil-H 14 January, 2020 10:40
Quote:
Walks11
Not overly fussed, good luck to him he has been fantastic for the most part of his Saints career. I do remember an awful lot on here questioning why we let Groom go and kept Cobus, was it more luck than judgement who knows but his game went from strength to strength afterwards. Itís unfortunate young Mitchell had such a serious injury as I think he could well have been our number 1 by now. We have a half a season to enjoy Cobus and hopefully that will give Taylor and Mitchell enough time to be 2 real stars come next season. Itís a short career and am sure we could nowhere near compete with the money on offer so canít really blame him

Walks I was one of those that questioned why we let Groom go and not Cobus and suggested it was down to whose contract was up... and going on what we saw of Cobus based on that season, I still stand by what I said.... just grateful we didn't let him go, what a totally different player he was for us after!

I also feel if Alex had remained fit, we would have had 2 top notch 9s fighting it out and I think (hope) Alex will become a better 9 going forward.

Go take the money and a new challenge Cobus, its been an absolute pleasure, thank you!!!

Longers 14 January, 2020 10:57
I shall be sorry to see him go. I have very much enjoyed his play. Good luck in the future.

But as with any new chapter, we don't know what it brings, and Alex Mitchell showed us last year that he was a very capable young man that many were already calling to Eddie Jones' attention.

Alex and Henry will give us a different approach. But it will still be within the framework laid down by the coaches.

Who knows? Perhaps he has peaked this season??

I'm not worried.

Tarnelo 14 January, 2020 11:07
Why do so many call him Corbus?

SuffolkSaint 14 January, 2020 11:12
Quote:
Tarnelo

A South African friend of mine reliably informs me that is how they pronounce it.

Aberavon Wizard 14 January, 2020 11:15
A shame but when you recruit overseas players there is always the probability that they will be looking for the next deal - lets hope he stays fit until the end of the season and takes a new medal with his family to France. Good luck to the fella

A real shame heís been brilliant for us.

Reading between the lines it looks like the club wanted to keep him for another year or so. I think we will loose something with him gone but as others said a great opportunity for the younger players

Thank you Cobus and good luck

smitferbrainz 14 January, 2020 11:28
Thanks Cobus. Fabulous player for us. Canít blame him at all for wanting to move on. Every year players come and players leave. Alex Mitchell will step up for us and Henry has been a revelation for us. Every confidence going forward.

195Rich 14 January, 2020 11:30
In his first season his kicking and game management was a liability at times but in the last two seasons he has been the best SH in the premiership, he has won several games with brilliant anticipation, blistering pace and last ditch tackles. Saints will be poorer, on the pitch, for his departure if rather better off in the coffers. Will there be a fee involved or is he a free agent?

John Rickerd 14 January, 2020 11:32
His two great assets for me were his ability to spot a gap and then his pace made the tries he scored, also that pace was used to make covering tackles and save certain tries. But nobodyís perfect and his box kicking was poor, and the length/speed of his pass was not that good. Wish him luck and his family in France.

smitferbrainz 14 January, 2020 11:36
Alex Mitchell can be as good!

Saint Stokey 14 January, 2020 11:38
So... money from Dylan, Heinz and Cobus to spend!

NottsSaint 14 January, 2020 11:41
No doubt is value has gone up in the last 3 years, and we clearly cant compete on the budgets of (presumably?) Montpelier.
As pointed out, we have good options, and probably couldn't make the maths work to retain him, given we don't want to be loosing money, and want to stick to the cap.

ajack 14 January, 2020 11:42
To me he is one of the few players that is head and shoulders above anyone else in the same position at the club, not only in attack but in defence and will be a massive loss. He is probably our biggest attacking threat.

Been a great signing for the club and if he wants to move on then good luck to him he owes the club nothing. We will either need to change our style or we will be a worse side for losing him.

Saint Robert 14 January, 2020 11:45
Quote:
195Rich
In his first season his kicking and game management was a liability at times but in the last two seasons he has been the best SH in the premiership, he has won several games with brilliant anticipation, blistering pace and last ditch tackles. Saints will be poorer, on the pitch, for his departure if rather better off in the coffers. Will there be a fee involved or is he a free agent?
His current contract ends at the end of this season so I wouldn't think there would be a fee for the saints .

smitferbrainz 14 January, 2020 11:46
We wonít be a worse side for losing him in my opinion. Weíll have to make adjustments as weíll have a different 9 at the helm. Who knows we may end up better as the rest of the squad improves and adjusts to a different regular 9. Players move on and Boydy appears to be comfortable with him leaving. Prefer him to stay? Of course, who wouldnít?

Saint Stokey 14 January, 2020 11:46
Quote:
ajack
We will either need to change our style or we will be a worse side for losing him.

I think that's a bit harsh. I think its more a case of adapting. Whilst currently Mitchell and Taylor are not of the same quality as Cobus, there is no reason why they can't be in the future. I think at times we confuse Cobus' pace for his all round game.

saint123 14 January, 2020 11:50
Yes it is Montpellier, they are very lucky to get him and will be a force with him and pollard.

buck55 14 January, 2020 11:50
I believe we will miss cobus in a big way as on sunday the game changed as soon as he came on he has won us so many games.I know we have to look to the future but I would have liked a couple of more years with cobus and dan together it could have been something special.

Whiston Saint 14 January, 2020 11:56
Mitchell also won us games last season and has a better all round game than Cobus. Age is a major factor and Cobus needs his pace to make a difference. Injuries and wear and tear will limit his game time moving forward so this might be a good time to let him go.

The best managers know when to release players and not to keep them on sentiment and find they play very little towards the end of their contracts whilst costing the club a sizeable chunk of the cap. Perhaps another season would have been goof, but he would then be less of an appeal to other clubs with another 12 months on the clock.

Good luck to him.

ajack 14 January, 2020 11:56
Quote:
Saint Stokey
Quote:
ajack
We will either need to change our style or we will be a worse side for losing him.

I think that's a bit harsh. I think its more a case of adapting. Whilst currently Mitchell and Taylor are not of the same quality as Cobus, there is no reason why they can't be in the future. I think at times we confuse Cobus' pace for his all round game.

His pace is one of our biggest attacking threats along with Big T's size and power, take that away and we are less of a threat unless we change our style to have a greater threat in another area. His defence is also vastly under rated IMO.

lilyg 14 January, 2020 11:56

Merlin-k 14 January, 2020 12:45
He definitely changed the game against Benetton. But you could argue that when he went off against Wasps and Henry came on then Henry changed the game. He showed great game management.
Definitely sad to see Cobus go. Will we miss him? Of course, too try scorer in the premiership last season, a master at the intercept, and absolute commitment. But I am comfortable with Henry and Alex. We donít know how they will develop, will they get better or have they peaked? Itís impossible to know. But what I have seen is positive.
Some people talk as though money is no object, ďwe should have kept him whateverĒ. But there is a cost. Maybe itís you lose two players of lesser capability in different roles, but then the squad has less depth and is at more risk from injuries. Maybe we lose Rory. Maybe we canít afford a coach. Ultimately it is a business decision and when you have to make business decisions there isnít always a perfect or even ďgoodĒ answer. Even without the cap, we donít have the coffers to raid that the French teams seem to have.
First thing my daughter said this morning was ďweíll never get to see him playĒ (love and real). Iím even wondering if we can make it over from New Jersey in spring break! A sad day, but not a disaster.

LeicesterSaint 14 January, 2020 12:57
Assuming (hoping) that his injury doesn't impair it, Mitchell's pace is also pretty top end! I'm very sad to see Cobus go but equally excited to see Alex Mitchell continue to improve once he's back from injury. He may well end up being away with England a lot though so we will need some quality back up.

Without wanting to stray into that other subject these are the decisions that have to be made to stay within the salary cap. Do you keep the proven superstar on a wedge or put more trust in the younger player or someone like Taylor who may not make the same electric breaks but fits well within the team/squad.

I know we like to think about existing new signings but I suspect a lot of the saving from Cobus, Dylan etc may well be required when some of the youngsters come to re-sign next - Mitchell, Grayson, Furbank, Dingwall, Hutch etc

Dragonboy 14 January, 2020 13:10
Quote:
LeicesterSaint
Assuming (hoping) that his injury doesn't impair it, Mitchell's pace is also pretty top end! I'm very sad to see Cobus go but equally excited to see Alex Mitchell continue to improve once he's back from injury. He may well end up being away with England a lot though so we will need some quality back up.
Without wanting to stray into that other subject these are the decisions that have to be made to stay within the salary cap. Do you keep the proven superstar on a wedge or put more trust in the younger player or someone like Taylor who may not make the same electric breaks but fits well within the team/squad.

I know we like to think about existing new signings but I suspect a lot of the saving from Cobus, Dylan etc may well be required when some of the youngsters come to re-sign next - Mitchell, Grayson, Furbank, Dingwall, Hutch etc

Totally agree with your point there. Boydy was talking earlier about a player spreadsheet so as to plan squads several years ahead and that will include when we need more cash to go the way of the young guns who will rightly deserve a bigger contract.

Our success with bringing such a raft of young players on who we will want to keep will also need appropriate funds from somewhere to support retentions so itís not just a case of splashing the freed up cash on whatever big name is seemingly available, particularly when we donít have a money pit to dip in and there is a cap to defer to

Stockers 14 January, 2020 13:11
I'll keep this brief.

Cobus, thank you very much and Bonne Chance in France.

Saint Stokey 14 January, 2020 13:14
I think there were rumours that in order to keep Cobus, we'd have had to match Montpellier's offer of 3 years and 400000 Euros a season.

Now, would we want to keep Cobus until the age of 32, risking his pace or allow Mitchell, Taylor and Tupai to progress and use the money to sign Kpoku and Dombrandt.

Personally, as much as i've loved watching Cobus play, the more attractive option would be to allow our very promising Academy and youngsters progress and to bolster the squad so that we can progress and target more trophies.

Chris Hoddle 14 January, 2020 13:21
Hope that there is a clause in hi next contract that he can not play against Saints (Sm128)

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

nsaint71 14 January, 2020 13:26
Firstly and foremost a massive thankyou Cobus for the entertainment and buzz of excitement you have given the club over the last 3 seasons. Secondly I think I would have been more gutted had he signed for a rival premiership team...

protestbeat 14 January, 2020 13:28
(Without meaning to be negative) in my opinion Cobus has been exceptional form for just over a year now, 'Best player in the premiership' form! But prior to our incredible turnaround last season & much like the rest of our sqaud he looked pretty average. I really do love watching the guy, he's absolute box office but I think he has benefitted a lot from from the clubs turnaround, the new playing style, the Boyd factor! Remember back to the humilating defeat at HQ by Tigers last Autumn & could anyone here honestly have predicted the year he's had! We were probably all calling for a whole new squad at that point! We will just have to wait and see if he can retain his form & whether Monpellier & indeed South Africa will get as much out of him as we have! But what I'm really tryin to say is that a key ingredient to Cobus' incredible rise is 'Northampton Saints' & that I have every faith that one or more of Alex, Henry & Conor could reach a similar level and pretty quick too! I believe this because of talent and potential I believe that these guys collectively possess & I'm more than happy with those 3 fighting it out for the 9 jersey next season. Keep the faith!

The spare money might just go towards that 'premium' winger that I think we need! Someone give Jonny May a call!

NottsSaint 14 January, 2020 13:28
No doubt its down to balancing budgets, and your right to call out, our young guns will by and large, not be on massive salaries, but with every game we play, they are growing in value.
No doubt other clubs will be looking at them thinking who could they tempt away to go to them.
Even if they have a massive loyalty to Saints and want to stay, they will also want to maximise their earnings (and rightly so)
Its a massive cap management issue of wanting to retain players, but good results meaning your whole squads value goes up.
Assuming your there or there abouts, unless your sarries, you need to let guys you'd like to keep go.
Sarries like to make a big deal of how many have come through the academy to be great players, but if they played to the same rules as the rest of us, they would have had to let some of them go. (IMO)

John Tee 14 January, 2020 13:41
Just an observation from a nuetral ...when he is on it and the game gets a tad disorganised, he can be almost unplayable...
but once the ball becomes slow, his pass is more exposed.
That is where Biggar comes in so compliments quite well but if Mitchell is as good as you say, and he comes back as good as new, then I dont think you need to worry about your halfbacks.
The health of a backline is how much ball the wingers get, imv and your breaking game is causing teams all sorts of problems.

Saints, Glaws and to a lesser extent, wasps, this season should be rewarded for their fast backline game.

Id like to see an extra point for tries scored from one phase from distance over the 1 mtr flop, personally, so teams that can do this, get rewarded.
Wishful thinking, but...

smitferbrainz 14 January, 2020 14:22
Do we need a premium winger? I think weíre okay for wingers. Everyone has a different opinion. Theyíre all valid. For me Iíd like us to get a specialist 8. We are just fine for 9s. Weíre only a year away from a decision on a 10 maybe. Dan B will be in the last year of a contract, might he want to re-sign or maybe want away. I remember endless debate on this forum reference a ďworld class 10Ē. This stuff happens with contracts. Theyíre agreements arenít they? Either party may want to finish it at the end for whatever reason. Thereís nothing wrong with that. For me the most important contract and the accompanying discussions/ negotiations will be with Chris Boyd. Letís hope that turns out okay.

SaintsAsh 14 January, 2020 14:41
For me Mitchell is a better scrum half and Cobus a better all round rugby player. Alex has a better pass from the base and has better kicking skills IMHO.

As has already been said Cobus is brilliant, but with Mitchell, Taylor and Tupai we cannot justify 400,000 a year, let alone paying that to a 32 year old. This deal suits Cobus and the club IMHO even though it is sad to see this fantastic player go.

We are turning into montpellier feeder club.

ajack 14 January, 2020 14:48
We provide them with players, they provide us with coaches.

Sir Hector 14 January, 2020 14:49
Iíd like a glimpse at Chris Boydís spreadsheet! It wasnít too long ago we were all crying out for a 10, then it was front row, then an eight, and now a winger? Iíd like to see the season out with our encumber squad and then assess the gaps. Sleightholme looks to me to be a real quality proposition. Grayson will mature into Danís boots and weíre not shy of back-ups with Furbank, Francis, Hutchinson and Mallinder all able to play 10. Then we have our current stock of academy lads coming through, Freeman, Matthews, Gillespie etc. I really donít see the need to spend money we canít afford when we donít need to. The scrum has improved significantly of late and Tei is great off the base. We need to sort the line out next and tighten our defence, buying in expensive talent isnít going to do the job.

NobbyClarke 14 January, 2020 15:23
Quote:
SuffolkSaint
Quote:
Tarnelo

A South African friend of mine reliably informs me that is how they pronounce it.

But not how they spell it!! Diminutive of Jacobus, so Cobus works for most! Is the "R" silent?

Wilson Pickett 14 January, 2020 15:32
No itís just a different language with different pronunciation of letters

It isnít really ďCorbusĒ but thatís the easiest way for English speakers to get away with it

Duckonstilts 14 January, 2020 16:08
I will miss him but its probably right for both parties at this point. We have a lot of promise at 9 with Mitch Taylor and Toops. To keep them improving we need to play them. Cobus has been fantastic and he will go out on a high (hopefully a big high) and we can all remember him as the star he has been.

Bob 14 January, 2020 16:24
Quote:
Sir Hector
Then we have our current stock of academy lads coming through, Freeman, Matthews, Gillespie etc. I really donít see the need to spend money we canít afford when we donít need to.

I walked past Gillespie on Sunday. Blimey he is 6í2Ē. Big lad. Could be interesting as he develops.

Scrummy 14 January, 2020 17:22
Super player - I shall be sad to see him go.

Good luck Cobus

shiversaint 14 January, 2020 18:01
Very disappointed but also entirely understand. It's been an honour having him as a Saint, and I hope he remembers us as fondly as we'll remember him.

The biggest crime is how small his part was in SA's WC win this year. I know Faf is talk of the town these days, but Cobus is far more enjoyable to watch.

Montpellier are a very, very lucky club.

Saint Swill 14 January, 2020 18:15
I may have mentioned this before.

It's a river, not a pond!

St Marcus 14 January, 2020 20:02
Quote:
shiversaint
Very disappointed but also entirely understand. It's been an honour having him as a Saint, and I hope he remembers us as fondly as we'll remember him.
The biggest crime is how small his part was in SA's WC win this year. I know Faf is talk of the town these days, but Cobus is far more enjoyable to watch.

Montpellier are a very, very lucky club.

Completely agree and whilst I really rate Mitchell I think we will miss him. Always a shame to see fantastic players leave. With Cobus, Dylan and Brussow leaving you would hope that would free up some of the cap even with wage inflation. So hopefully one or two quality additions on the way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/01/2020 20:03 by St Marcus.

charlieemeriau 14 January, 2020 20:09
Quote:
NottsSaint
I know a lot of people have expressed they are comfortable loosing Cobus, as we have good up an coming cover.
I am not, its a real shame, but if he's made the decision its best for him, then so be it, good luck to him in the future.
He has real game changing quality, and stardust that (as yet) our other options do not.
His powerful, fast and last season i think he was our leading try scorer (I might be corrected on that)

To me he's significantly our best 9 option at the moment. That's not saying Taylor and Mitchel arn't good, they are, but just not as good IMO

So, its time for Taylor to really show he can step up (and Alex when returned).
+1

ThornbySaint 14 January, 2020 20:46
Another article on the subject

[www.rugbypass.com]

St Saltaire 14 January, 2020 22:21
Sad to see Cobus go but entirely understand the reason. Alex Mitchell will be a more than adequate replacement, if fully recovered. We also seem to have good cover for most places with the exception of no.8. I expect another back row/no. 8 will be our next signing.

Saint Maul 14 January, 2020 23:25
I've loved watching Cobus this season and last. He is pure box office and does things with his speed few players in the world can do. He is also incredibly brave and puts his body on the line.

But whilst Mitchell isn't as flash as Cobus, he is a more rounded player than Cobus IMHO already and he will only get better whilst Cobus is hitting 30.

We commonly lose foreign players who come to Saints where we improve their market value. But how many of them have gone on to be as successful in France as they were at Saints? Tiny, Mooj, Ma'afu, Manoa?

I wish Cobus nothing but the best given the memories he has provided and the commitment he has shown on the pitch, but I suspect Montpellier won't play to his strengths in the way Saints has.

Wrench 15 January, 2020 09:59
Best of luck to him. Been wonderful to watch over the last few years and really made us a better side.

I tend to agree that we don't need to replace him at 9 as we are well stocked there. What we do need to replace is his ability to make a break and his out and out pace. Should be in the market for a real speedster and / or a dynamic ball carrier than can bust holes in brick walls.

We as a team need to be making regular line breaks for our attacking game to function - Cobus has been good for 3 a game (or without looking at the stats that's what it feels like) so that's what needs to be replaced.

Saint Stokey 15 January, 2020 10:15
Once fit, I think Mitchell has the perfect sniping game to create breaks. He may not have the searing pace that Cobus does, but a number of Cobus' tries come from other players making the break and Cobus is running just off the shoulder waiting for the pass once the last defender is drawn in. This is what we need to replicate. With players like TC and Sleights, we have very quick players, its just getting them into the right position that is more difficult.

Awaywin 15 January, 2020 10:54
Quote:
Saint Maul
We commonly lose foreign players who come to Saints where we improve their market value. But how many of them have gone on to be as successful in France as they were at Saints? Tiny, Mooj, Ma'afu, Manoa?

Playing devil's advocate what has success Cobus achieved here. A Premiership Cup?

If Montpellier is the destination I wonder how attractive the chance of playing with Pollard is. Would a move to France help his international aspirations?

Wilson Pickett 15 January, 2020 11:03
these guys are mercenaries, which is absolutely the right thing to do. It is all about the money at this stage of his career. Of course it is more fun if you are playing in a decent side.

Cobus also can't help that he played in a side that was in a 'recovery' situation after the last management team.

tedge 15 January, 2020 11:35
Quote:
Wilson Pickett
these guys are mercenaries, which is absolutely the right thing to do. It is all about the money at this stage of his career. Of course it is more fun if you are playing in a decent side.

Cobus also can't help that he played in a side that was in a 'recovery' situation after the last management team.

+1

NobbyClarke 15 January, 2020 13:35
Quote:
Wilson Pickett
No itís just a different language with different pronunciation of letters
It isnít really ďCorbusĒ but thatís the easiest way for English speakers to get away with it

Or Cowbus if he were an Aussie?

Matthew 15 January, 2020 17:13
Quote:
Wrench
Best of luck to him. Been wonderful to watch over the last few years and really made us a better side.
I tend to agree that we don't need to replace him at 9 as we are well stocked there. What we do need to replace is his ability to make a break and his out and out pace. Should be in the market for a real speedster and / or a dynamic ball carrier than can bust holes in brick walls.

We as a team need to be making regular line breaks for our attacking game to function - Cobus has been good for 3 a game (or without looking at the stats that's what it feels like) so that's what needs to be replaced.

Just under two, apparently!

[twitter.com]

ACTUAL TRAINING FOOTAGE FROM
BEHIND THE SCENES AT SARACENS:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/37800000/Scrooge-McDuck-gif-mickey-and-friends-37815657-245-188.gif

ajack 15 January, 2020 18:26
I think those figures highlight just how much we will miss him.

St Marcus 15 January, 2020 18:58
Quote:
ajack

Agreed. I think we will miss him more than most people seem to think. I really rate Mitch and Taylor has been decent so far but we are losing a world class player in Cobus.

Saint Maul 15 January, 2020 22:02
Quote:
St Marcus
Quote:
ajack

Agreed. I think we will miss him more than most people seem to think. I really rate Mitch and Taylor has been decent so far but we are losing a world class player in Cobus.

Will we miss him? Yes. He is a game changer.

But it doesn't feel the same as when we lost Manoa or Picamoles with no quality replacement. Mitchell is a quality player.

I'd prefer to keep Cobus and Mitchell but of the two I'd prefer to lose Cobus as Mitchell is a player we can build a team around for the next 10 years.

English players are more likely to stay at a club than foreign mercenaries. Piutau, Le Roux, Beale, Toomua, Pieterson all brought game changing ability fleetingly. But moved on predictably quickly and in some instances disruptively.

There's a lot of examples of foreign mercenaries who leave inconveniently like Cobus. There are few top draw foreigners who stick with a club for 3 contracts like Ayerza.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/01/2020 22:10 by Saint Maul.

Hollywood JK 17 January, 2020 22:35
Iím surprised supporters are not more concerned, a big loss for me!

None of the other nines we have are as fast as Corbus, you cannot beat pure gas at scrum half hence why he has terrified so many defences.

Just a pity we could not have offered him a package to stay.

Saintsfan22 19 January, 2020 12:36
So yesterday after the game I offered cobus my wallet to stay and he said all he wanted was a beer. Later he took a beer and drunk just under half - is he now contractually obliged to stay and should we seek legal advice to keep him?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net