Rugby Dump re Saints signing Kpoku from Sarries
Discussion started by ancient mariner , 15 January, 2020 11:24
Rugby Dump re Saints signing Kpoku from Sarries
ancient mariner 15 January, 2020 11:24
[www.rugbydump.com]

They do say it's the silly season!

Re: Rugby Dump re Saints signing Kpoku from Sarries
tedge 15 January, 2020 11:40
If and it's a big F this is true why on earth would Saints back down even if they were offered Kruis ? I don't think they would want Kruis, even supposing he wanted to come here and why would Saints want to help Saracens ?

Yes defiantly a silly season article- I am no scribe but that has got to be the worst written article (both in terms of English and thought-through argument) I have read for a very long time !

The title itself is a confusing mess "Are Saracens ready to ditch George Kruis for latest Saints signing?"

If Saints have really already signed Kpoku then there is nothing Sarries can do about him leaving. The only option would be to buy the contract back which given challenges with salary cap challenge you cant see how then can. (unless there is a Kpoku Limited been registered)

Duckonstilts 15 January, 2020 11:51
Perhaps we are just playing the game. Making Saracens believe they are offloading an expensive player and changing our mind later on.

I expect Saracens to look a loy different in a couple of years even if they can get under the cap.

ajack 15 January, 2020 12:19
I am sure lots of players are talking to lots of clubs, not every club talking to a player will sign them and not every player talking to clubs will leave that is how it works. As far as once you have signed well that depends on what you have signed, remember Tiny "signing" for Sarries?

There will be loads of speculation and those in the know but until it is officially announced it will remain speculation.

Wilson Pickett 15 January, 2020 12:22
Plenty of these journos get their rumours from message boards like this because frankly many posters are more plugged in and likely to get more info/access

ajack 15 January, 2020 12:24
Ah yes I remember Magnus Lund.

tedge 15 January, 2020 12:33
Of course, given any truth in it, Kpoku might have genuinely changed his mind about moving, either down to pressure from Saracens or a bigger wedge than they offered before.

LeicesterSaint 15 January, 2020 12:35
Are we still signing Kieran Read?

On a more serious note I can imagine there may have been a conversation had, doesn't mean anything will come of it. Until now Sarries have managed to avoid the 'who do we keep' conundrums that keep the other DOR's up at night. However in now learning to operate under the salary cap there may well be more scenarios where you have to let the much more experienced and proven player go and keep and trust the up and comers. See Cobus vs. Mitchell(s)/Taylor and co.

However as above I'm sure Saints or any other club will simply consider what works for them, if the player now on offer fits best then fine, if not then two fingers up to Sarries. It will likely mean at least one in the mould of Kruis off to Japan/US/France a few years earlier but that really isn't a club problem. Haskell has shown that if you really want to you can prioritise England at the cost of your own earnings.

HerbieSaint 15 January, 2020 14:12
Perhaps Kpoku has only signed a Heads of Terms Agreement - we all know how easy they are to get out of ...

Saint Stokey 15 January, 2020 15:13
"Central to all this is England Under 20 star Joel Kpoku, who has come up through the ranks at Saracens, but has recently signed for Northampton for next season. It is believed that Sarries will look to keep hold of Kpoku, who has nine appearances for the senior team to his name, perhaps in exchange for Kruis."

To me, this sounds like we have signed Kpoku and are just awaiting the official announcement. I wouldn't have thought that Sarries were in any position to prevent this signing.
If a contract has been agreed and signed with Saints & Kpoku, couldn't Saints argue that Kpoku would need to be bought out of his future contract by Sarries?

Chris Hoddle 15 January, 2020 15:16
Seemed to remember it happened to Tiny but in reverse? He announced he was going to Sarries but it never happened.

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

Brackleysaint 15 January, 2020 15:20
Quote:
HerbieSaint
Perhaps Kpoku has only signed a Heads of Terms Agreement - we all know how easy they are to get out of ...

You beat me to it.
Remember the Josh Basset signing.

smitferbrainz 15 January, 2020 15:22
Kruis or Kpoku? Kpoku please.

Dragonboy 15 January, 2020 15:33
Quote:
smitferbrainz

On balance I agree with you here but hes signed, hes not signed, hes signed. Its all becoming very tedious Im afraid.

Very reminiscent of Naas Botha coming. He was always due to arrive next week

Saint Stokey 15 January, 2020 15:34
Quote:
Brackleysaint
Quote:
HerbieSaint

You beat me to it.
Remember the Josh Basset signing.

That's worked out well for him!

Wilson Pickett 15 January, 2020 15:45
Quote:
ajack

Not me guv!

Actually a poster messaged me about Kpoku quite a while ago ...

ajack 15 January, 2020 15:55
Quote:
Wilson Pickett
Quote:
ajack

Not me guv!

Actually a poster messaged me about Kpoku quite a while ago ...

It was a bet between Chris who used to run this site and a chap called Broonie who was a regular poster on here. Broonie did not believe the press used sites like this as a reliable source of information. Chris posted a few times about Magnus Lund joining Saints from Sale, no truth in it what so ever within a week it was in the press. Chris won the bet.

Wilson Pickett 15 January, 2020 17:28
Voila

smitferbrainz 15 January, 2020 17:31
Quote:
Dragonboy
Quote:
smitferbrainz

On balance I agree with you here but hes signed, hes not signed, hes signed. Its all becoming very tedious Im afraid.

Very reminiscent of Naas Botha coming. He was always due to arrive next week

Totally agree, very tedious. Its the one thing I do remember about Jims days in charge, there seemed to be loads of rumours doing the rounds, we get virtually nothing now. Maybe there is something to Boydy saying our recruiting is done. Maybe he is content with who we have and he believes he can continue to develop the academy to come through and plug what gaps we do have. Id guess thered be no worries cap wise. Maybe the point made on here the other day of any money saved may be used to increase wage of our up and coming stars who were probably relatively cheap but will be more expensive as renewals are discussed, was a valid one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/01/2020 17:34 by smitferbrainz.

Dragonboy 15 January, 2020 19:04
I think thats was me actually.

Boydy saying recruitment was done doesnt necessarily mean theyve been announced publicly though which I do find a little strange.

smitferbrainz 15 January, 2020 20:23
Think Boydy would make a good poker player.

Hymenoptera 16 January, 2020 14:44
Rugby Pod discussed this. Goodey states that Kpoku has signed for Saints but that since Ed Griffiths has taken over, he's decided that as part of the shake up, he'd rather keep Kpoku and are trying to convince Saints to take Kruis instead, who are having none of it. Based on below, I reckon you'll end up with Kpoku.

DailyMail says: Sale Sharks have had an approach for Saracens lock George Kruis rejected reports the Daily Mail.

Sale are known to be in the market for a second row having shown interest in Fijian star Leone Nakarawa before he returned to Glasgow.

Sharks director of rugby Steve Diamond said: We spoke to Kruis agent and he said the player is not interested in joining any English clubs. Were still looking for a lock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/01/2020 14:56 by Hymenoptera.

Abington Adam 16 January, 2020 15:00
If Goode is right then I can only assume that Kpoku has had his head turned by the improved offer to stay at Barnet, otherwise there would be no reason for Saints not to announce the signing.

COME ON YOU SAINTS!
Church's Stand season ticket holder
EMRU Referee

Saint Stokey 16 January, 2020 15:08
If we have signed Kpoku, is there anything to stop us announcing or do we have to wait for Sarries to agree to a time & date?

Tarnelo 16 January, 2020 15:23
A good reason not to announce signings mid season can be the possible unsettling effect on the existing squad.

Saint Maul 17 January, 2020 08:57
With Sarries looking like being relegated, that makes it a lot more likely Kpoku will want to move.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net