Latest news:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Akira Ioane ?
Discussion started by Wilson Pickett , 14 February, 2020 07:54
Akira Ioane ?
Wilson Pickett 14 February, 2020 07:54
A few of us would like to see a big number 8

Big caveats on what happens to kolpak, numbers of other foreign players allowed etc (he has samoan parents).

6 foot 4, just under 18 stone, has an All Black cap and was a big star at U20. Has had some personal issues around mental health after not making the RWC squad but is back and fit. Currently not starting for the Blues because they have an excellent new 21 year old 8 called Hoskins Sotutu.

Could be the kind of move he needs to get his career back on track with a kiwi coach and teammates (including 2 All Blacks). Won't be expensive given he isn't even playing for the Blues.

Seems ideal?

Re: Akira Ioane ?
Saint Stokey 14 February, 2020 09:32
And he's only 24. Even with a 3 year contract, he would still be able to go back to NZ and target an All Black spot for the next World Cup.

Although, with Reed now retired from international rugby, he may feel that there is a better chance of getting that spot.

Still, he's a signing that could be amazing. Get Piers on the phone to him bigging up the Shire!

Wilson Pickett 14 February, 2020 10:02
He can't get in the Blues match day squad, I am pretty sure he wants to play club rugby before looking at the All Blacks !

Saint Stokey 14 February, 2020 10:03
Rugby Pass

Appears to be in contract with NZ Rugby until 2021 so we may have to wait a while.

Wilson Pickett 14 February, 2020 11:03
If he isn’t playing but could gain experience overseas for a couple of years, I’m sure they’d be cool ending it early

SuffolkSaint 14 February, 2020 11:38
Boyd would have worked with him as part of the NZ U20s squad that won the JWC in 2015 beating England including Lewis and Howard Packman in the final.

As I recall he was their biggest threat and tipped for greatness - maybe reuniting with Boydie would be an attractive proposition to get back on track.

Not sure I have seen anything suggesting we have any interest, but nice link to make to a player who could do a job.

Saint Stokey 14 February, 2020 11:58
a long shot but Earl, Kpoku and A Ioane and I'd be happy.

6: Wood & Gibson
7: Earl & Ludlam
8: Harrison & Ioane

Done!

craig84 14 February, 2020 13:07
I agree WP, he has a great aggressive all round game and can cover blindside aswell as 8 so gives more depth to the squad aswell.
He is the sort of game changer we should be on the lookout for.

Saint Maul 14 February, 2020 16:22
He was phenomenal at Under 20 level

Deesaint 14 February, 2020 16:54
Quote:
Wilson Pickett
A few of us would like to see a big number 8
Big caveats on what happens to kolpak, numbers of other foreign players allowed etc (he has samoan parents).

6 foot 4, just under 18 stone, has an All Black cap and was a big star at U20. Has had some personal issues around mental health after not making the RWC squad but is back and fit. Currently not starting for the Blues because they have an excellent new 21 year old 8 called Hoskins Sotutu.

Could be the kind of move he needs to get his career back on track with a kiwi coach and teammates (including 2 All Blacks). Won't be expensive given he isn't even playing for the Blues.

Seems ideal?

Never heard of him
I think you must put your hand in a bag full of scrabble letters pull out a handful and make a name from them

Wilson Pickett 14 February, 2020 17:08
If that were true I would focus on Tbilisi based players

Deesaint 14 February, 2020 17:34
Fair point

Sir Hector 14 February, 2020 18:07
There’s only one Z in scrabble!

fleetg 15 February, 2020 01:04
Is that a new chant we could introduce this weekend ?

PelerinStJames 15 February, 2020 06:36
Quote:
fleetg

Why not, after all there is only one F in Bedford.

Sans Culottes 15 February, 2020 08:27
Quote:
PelerinStJames
Quote:
fleetg

Why not, after all there is only one F in Bedford.

You must stick to the nice parts of Bedford *

BrianB 15 February, 2020 08:30
I have looked and cannot see any z's in scrabble. Is it silent and invisible?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/02/2020 08:30 by BrianB.

Wilson Pickett 15 February, 2020 09:14
there are loads, it is boring

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/02/2020 09:15 by Wilson Pickett.

Deesaint 15 February, 2020 10:55
Quote:
BrianB
I have looked and cannot see any z's in scrabble. Is it silent and invisible?

You need to look at the Russian version

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net