Latest news:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Saints all-time XV
Discussion started by Born_Again_Saint , 25 March, 2020 09:19
Saints all-time XV
Born_Again_Saint 25 March, 2020 09:19
Club running a vote to make up the 'all-time XV':
[www.northamptonsaints.co.uk]

No doubt this will cause some arguments in my household!!

Got to be Tiny at loosehead for me, although I was a little young to watch Longland, Piggy or Pearce...

Re: Saints all-time XV
Saint Ted 25 March, 2020 09:29
Tom Smith for me.

But my word, Longers, how old was your dad when he started playing for saints, 21 years is a hell of a shift!

tedge 25 March, 2020 10:51
These things are fun but of course younger fans can only vote for more recent players. I mean I KNOW that Gary Pagel was the greatest prop ever but anybody under about 30 wouldn't have seen him or Tom Smith or David Powell or Gary Pearce or Ray Longland. If like me you've been watching Saints since the mid-fifties I've seen every loosehead in the list apart from Longland. Doesn't mean I won't vote for some of the more recent players but I have a much wider choice. Anyway it all helps to pass the time !

lilyg 25 March, 2020 11:00
There's quite a fun thing on Twitter and the Saints, a player is listed along each month, so pick your birth month, then number of hours you spend with them is the % of your phone battery and then the number of the position you played (I havnt ever, so went for a lucky dip!).

I ended up with playing table tennis with Courtney Lawes for 98 hours!

[twitter.com]

Longers 25 March, 2020 11:41
Quote:
Saint Ted
Tom Smith for me.
But my word, Longers, how old was your dad when he started playing for saints, 21 years is a hell of a shift!

Thanks Saint Ted. He was 19 when he started(born 1908). And of course his career was interrupted by WWII. Not to mention the cameo appearance he made in 1949 for Old Millhillians(?) when their prop turned up late! Perhaps that didn't count towards his Saints career?!

But the puzzling thing is - and this does not help - we always thought of him as a loose head. But I have photos and film of him training, and he is very clearly a tight head.

I know he would hook on occasions, but this question of which side he played, may never be resolved.

Aberavon Wizard 25 March, 2020 13:08
I am going for Ray on the basis of his record and what my Dad told me about him.......mind you, they were friends ! Wee Tam as replacement.

Longers 25 March, 2020 14:04
Quote:
Aberavon Wizard
I am going for Ray on the basis of his record and what my Dad told me about him.......mind you, they were friends ! Wee Tam as replacement.

Now I'm curious - what did your Dad say about my Dad?.......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/03/2020 14:05 by Longers.

shendy 25 March, 2020 14:19
I know it's only a bit of fun, but the only thing stopping me from voting is the amount of personal information they're asking for. Why do they need my date of birth or address for instance? If I win something they can contact me (using the email address or phone number they're capturing) and ask.
And the marketing opt-out is yes/no, can't choose how they can contact me.

StPo 25 March, 2020 14:34
Quote:
tedge
These things are fun but of course younger fans can only vote for more recent players. I mean I KNOW that Gary Pagel was the greatest prop ever but anybody under about 30 wouldn't have seen him or Tom Smith .!

Clinging to being under 30 here - Tom Smith had my vote, still remember him from when I first had a ST as a nipper. Incredible player, just got on with the game quietly but with such presence.

higgy365 25 March, 2020 16:55
I well remember everyone from Pearce onwards. I’m of insufficient vintage for earlier than that. Between Smith and Tongahuia for me but they’re obviously very different players it’s hard to compare their contributions.

I dismissed Waller out of hand but only because I don’t think current players shouldn’t feature in these things- who knows what they’re still to do for us? Retrospective only for me.

Saintly Pursuit 25 March, 2020 19:43
Can we vote for Tom Smith as the best scrum half as well?

manxsaint 25 March, 2020 19:51
Unfortunately (or fortunately!) I'm old enough to remember as far back as David Powell - but for me, whilst all the names
on the list were star performers, there's only ever been one loosehead prop who put the fear of God into everyone he ever
played against - and that's Garry Pagel.

ch saint 26 March, 2020 09:06
I go back to the Pearce era, but without doubt Pagel stands head and shoulders above any that followed as good astray may be.
See Sleights comments below.
Flatman played against Gary and his after dinner talks sometimes refer to Gary as basically humiliating him when he played against us.
I also recall an newspaper interview with a London Irish tight head, whose name eludes me but was Irish and pretty dirty tbh, he described feeling his head being crushed by the complete pressure Gary applied.
I am biased slightly because since Gary has retired I have been fortunate enough to meet him in SA, last year on his farm. Occasionally we describe a person as being "a real gentleman", in Gary's case it is very accurate. I am 6ft 2in he towers over me so back in the day he would have been larger than most of the opposition.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net