Latest news:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Ultimate team of your generation
Discussion started by Former Hollywood Saint , 21 May, 2020 21:30
Ultimate team of your generation
Former Hollywood Saint 21 May, 2020 21:30
Hey everyone, this could get people going but I saw this post somewhere else.

The challenge is to pick your ultimate XV who has played in your rugby watching lifetime. So for example I started watching in 92, so people like Blanco are out as he retired in 91.

The twist is that you can only pick a MAX of 2 people per country. It is harder than you think as you have to put some great players to the side to keep within the 2 per country!! To start it off though, here is mine:

1. Garry Pagel (SA)
2. Keith Wood (Ire)
3. Os Du Randt (SA) (although Tiny was close)
4. Scott Murray (Scot)
5. Samu Manoa (USA)
6. Tim Rodber (Eng)
7. Budge Pountney (Scot)
8. Henry Tuilagi (Sam)
9. Gus Pichot (Arg)
10. Carlos Spencer (NZ)
11. Inga Tuigamala (Sam)
12. Juan Martin Hernandez (Arg) (just beat out Contepomi)
13. Brian O'Driscoll (Ire)
14. Jonah Lomu (NZ)
15. Jason Robinson (Eng)

It will be interesting to see what other teams people put out!

FHS

Re: Ultimate team of your generation
Jon in Wherever 21 May, 2020 22:34
OK, after thinking... scrum half has only one choice, and a couple of others fall in right away.

15 - Gavin Hastings - yes, there are others that may be better, but the country spots are taken up elsewhere. Harsh to say but this is a bit of "best of the rest".
14 - Inga Tuigamala - powerhouse and was a real threat in his time (until he got Rodber'd)
13 - BoD - easy choice here
12 - Phillipe Sella - a master in midfield, narrowly beating out some Kiwis
11 - the one and only Jonah. Met him in 2004, and really was the most genuine, soft spoken guy. Completely at odds to the bruiser on the park.
10 - Dan Biggar - again, possibly contentious. But for me, he has a great all round game - control, boot, game management
9 - Joost Van der westhuizen - first name on my list. Huge influence on me and the way I played.

1 - Tiny - had a few here, but Tiny in his heyday gets it for power and agility.
2 - Mario Ledesma - struggled here. Fitzpatrick was a choice, but couldn't kick out my other two Kiwis.
3 - Cian Healy - another big, but mobile prop. Narrowly beats out Wee Tam.
4 - Martin Johnson - leadership, presence, and some streetwise thuggery. And the only English World Cup winning captain.
5 - Alun Wyn Jones - another leader, and a great lineout master.
6 - Richard Hill - Ever present for England under Clive Woodward, and pretty useful around the park
7 - Francois Pienaar - what else to say? Also another auto-pick for me
8 - Buck Shelford - another auto-pick. Zinzan Brooke comes close, but not close enough.

fleetg 21 May, 2020 23:22
Just looking at that pack Jon.
I'd love to see that in operation and can't imagine a backward step. I recall Saints (versus Newcastle I believe) about 8 or 9 years ago marching the opposition backwards and over the try line from outside their 22 ; with that pack you have selected, I think that may have happened from the halfway line !
I've also no doubt that one team woukd have been able to fit them all in under the cap !😉

Aloosecannon 22 May, 2020 03:50
I feel like I have woken up in a parallel universe where Australia doesn't exist! Great teams but I would be thinking Rocky Elsom, Chris Latham, Israel Folau would be real contenders.

harryw 22 May, 2020 06:32
Ditto aloosecannon George Gregan, Mathew Burke Stephen Larcombe and John Eales.

My 2 would be John Eales and George Gregan. IMHO

ancient mariner 22 May, 2020 11:38
And there was I, thinking of Budge Rogers as flanker, as my rugby generation started in the 50s!

TCee 22 May, 2020 13:21
1. Gethin Jenkins Wales
2. Dylan Hartley (c) England
3. Martin Castrogiovanni Italy
4. Eben Etzebeth South Africa
5. Paul O'Connell Ireland
6. George Smith Australia
7. Michael Hooper Australia
8. Sergio Parisse Italy
9. Cobus Reinach South Africa
10. Johnny Wilkinson England
11. Jonah Lomu New Zealand
12. Tana Umaga New Zealand
13. Brian O'Driscoll Ireland
14. Shane Williams Wales
15. Serge Blanco France

COYS!

tedge 22 May, 2020 13:27
You could get a hundred responses with no player selected more than once !

Saint Maul 22 May, 2020 13:28
If you fancy an even trickier challenge, try and come up with your best team in your lifetime but with only one player per country allowed. Here's mine:

15 Hogg (Scotland)
14 Campese (Australia)
13 Sella (France)
12 Lima (Samoa)
11 Habana (South Africa)
10 Hernandez (Argentina)
9 Howley (Wales)
8 Parisse (Italy)
7 Jones (New Zealand)
6 Gorgodze (Georgia)
5 Manoa (USA)
4 Nakarawa (Fiji)
3 Leonard (England)
2 Wood (Ireland)
1 Tongu'uaha (Tonga)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/05/2020 14:29 by Saint Maul.

Abington Adam 23 May, 2020 17:16
1994 or 95 is about the start for me, so here it goes with the 2 per country rule.

15. Jason Robinson (Eng) - He may not have spent long in the superior code but without him England's 2003 world cup win doesn't happen.

14. Phillipe Saint-Andre (Fra) - I could have chosen a few French wingers here, but PSA captured my imagination when I first started watching rugby and Le Crunch was the annual highlight of the (then) Five Nations.
13. Brian O'Driscoll (Ire) - certainly the greatest Irish player I've seen, a real game changer.
12. Francois Steyn (RSA)
11. Jonah Lomu (NZ) - the first rugby player I can remember to completely change the game, he was just something else. Poor Mike Catt.

10. Johnnie Wilkinson (Eng) - 2003 and all that, his consistency from the tee and selfless commitment in open play make him my first pick Englishman.
9. George Gregan (Aus) - The heartbeat of a fine Wallabies team for over a decade.

8. Louis Picamoles (Fra) - Made a massive impact during his short stint at Saints so whilst I could possibly have chosen a more high profile player I wanted a Saintsman or two in the team for sentimental reasons.
7. Richie McCaw (NZ) - turned stretching the limits of the law into an art form, but he was also a damn fine rugby player.
6. Francois Pienaar (RSA) - maybe it's just that scene with Mandela, but the big Springbok captain stands out in my memory.

5. John Eales (Aus) - Another inspirational leader, good luck choosing a captain in this team.
4. Alun Wyn Jones (Wal) - Just commitment personified, and does a good turn as an assistant referee as well.

3. Adam Jones (Wal) - Massively dominant during the "touch, pause, engage" era of scrummaging.
2. Rory Best (Ire)
1. Tiny (Tonga) - Similar to Adam Jones, he was a penalty machine under the old scrum laws and the two would be an immense combination.

COME ON YOU SAINTS!
Church's Stand season ticket holder
EMRU Referee

Brackleysaint 23 May, 2020 19:04
I first started watching rugby in 1995 after going along to a Saints game with a work colleague and hooked since, so therefore my picks are from there onward, I have picked from players I have seen play in the flesh no apologies for some Saints bias.
15: Jason Robinson
14: Va'aiga Tuigamala
13: Brian O'Driscoll
12: Felipe Contepomi
11: George North
10: Jonny Wilkinson
9: Matt Dawson
1: Garry Pagel
2: Schalk Brits
3: Brian Mujati
4: Martin Johnson
5: Paul O'Connell
6:Richard Hill
7: Neil Back
8: Pat Lam

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/05/2020 19:06 by Brackleysaint.

greenwood 28 May, 2020 09:02
Dan Carter ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net