Latest news:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Home advantage is down to the supporters
Discussion started by Saintly Pursuit , 03 June, 2020 21:34
Home advantage is down to the supporters
Saintly Pursuit 03 June, 2020 21:34
It seems that we make the difference

Apparently, games that have been played behind closed doors remove most of the "home advantage". It's a very small sample but it's nice to know that the 16th man does make the most diffference.

Re: Home advantage is down to the supporters
Saint Tim 03 June, 2020 22:11
Shows the importance of us making noise. We have seen some of the best play in recent years and yet I get the feeling we (me included) have been getting quieter.

I wish I knew how to solve that one.

Aberavon Wizard 04 June, 2020 09:01
Its been quieter since the Barwell Stand was opened.......discuss !

saint krige 04 June, 2020 09:56
100%. Atmosphere is often quite flat imo

manxsaint 04 June, 2020 10:14
Sorry, Aberavon Wizard - that really isn't right!
In the nearly 40 years since I became a regular attendee at the Gardens, I've sat - or stood - in every part of the ground. Started on the old Gordon Terrace with my daughter on my shoulders, moved to watching from the mound at the Lake end to experience the game as it shouId be watched, from behind the in-goal area - watched often from the old wooden grandstand - moved from my seat in the the Church's Stand to the Barwell Stand some years ago - and the noise levels in the Barwell are just as high as anywhere else in the ground. I think it very much depends on how much noise one makes oneself - and I make a fair amount! - and how much those around one make.
And the other relevant point - one which I would have loved to be able to ask my late father, who was a Consulting Accoustic Engineer - is the design of the stands themselves! Some roof designs lend themselves more to providing shelter from the rain, and some to amplifying the crowd noise!
But as long as we're all enjoying the brand of rugby the Saints are playing - we'll let them know we're Marching In with them!

St Marcus 04 June, 2020 11:45
I think the opening of the Barwell stand and subsequent couple of seasons unfortunately coincided with lower gates generally and sparser crowds and flatter atmospheres due to our awful form at the end of Mallinder's tenure. Before lockdown gates were heading in the right direction but atmospheres did still seem to often be quite flat. One issue I think is that we all know that we can generate a fantastic atmosphere on a good day - which sets a high bar that we achieve only occasionally. But some thoughts are:

1. We are too reliant on c-block who start almost all our singing. (I disagree Manxsaint on noise levels in different parts of the ground. Whilst there will be pockets of louder and quieter supporters in each stand overall the terrace is loudest and Churchs and Barwell significantly quieter).

2. There is little or no build up of atmosphere prior to kick-off. Go to Kingsholm or Sandy Park and at the end of warm-up when the team does a lap of the pitch their sheds raise the roof. Here we have the team heading into the Churchs to weak applause. This means that when we kick-off the atmosphere is quite undercooked and if we make a slow start things tend to go very quiet (or just stay very quiet).

3. If we have 25% of the ground singing wendy but 75% of people clapping along it dilutes the singing. Either sing and clap or don't bother.

Hopefully when we eventually get back to FG with everyone starved of live rugby we will all make a bit more effort - I do think the first game will be pretty loud!

ancient mariner 04 June, 2020 12:16
We have had season tickets in the Church's Stand since the 90s and stayed on the old wooden seats when the super new stand was built opposite us, as we didn't want the sun in our eyes. However, when the the old Church's stand was replaced there is no doubt in my mind that the sound was very much reduced, because there was so much more space under the roof, and no supports. It was quite weird at first, as it felt a lot less "cosy", which is the only way I can describe it.

We are now used to it, and while spectators in other parts of the ground sometimes make fun of us I think we do a pretty good job, but we miss the old internal echo that the original stand provided..

Saintly Pursuit 04 June, 2020 12:26
Wherever you sit or stand in the ground, the only noise that you actually hear at any level is that generated immediatly around you. You may hear a bit from other stands but not that much.

I think that the most noise comes with a combination of a tense game coupled with loud oppostion supporters.

tedge 04 June, 2020 12:38
I reckon we do ok - just ask the players

Stillgrinning 04 June, 2020 12:58
I remember the old wooden stand well - as a youngster half the joy of going was to be able to stamp and kick the wooden boards with your heels to make more of a racket than could ever have been made by my young lungs.....

manxsaint 04 June, 2020 13:55
That's a good point by St Marcus - there is little or no build-up of atmosphere prior to kick-off compared with some other grounds.
We used to have a jazz band marching round the ground playing for 20 minutes or so before each home game - and of course ending up
with "Oh When the Saints . . . .", which used to spark the crowd off, get them out of the bars, and start them singing. The band disappeared
quite a lot of years ago - probably gone where all good Saints go - but maybe it would be possible to reincarnate them?

tedge 04 June, 2020 16:11
They did at one stage re-introduce the players running past the terrace after pre-match warm up, which got everybody going -then they stopped for some reason.

ramseysaint 04 June, 2020 21:20
My daughter wanted to do an Old Trafford tour when she was young. I remember walking round the empty ground, I felt I could hear the crowd, as if all the years of cheering singing supporters had somehow been stored in the bricks and mortar. Maybe we need to give the Harwell Stand a few more years to absorb Wendy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2020 21:27 by ramseysaint.

Saint Maul 05 June, 2020 08:08
Does anyone know how acoustics work to be able to answer the question, is it possible to improve acoustics in the existing stands without replacing them e.g. by adding some form of cladding to increase sound rebounding and echo?

Perhaps for future stands/roof replacements we need to encourage the management to consider acoustics in the design phase.

I used to love being in the Gordons Stand when it was all standing for the noise, atmosphere and banter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2020 08:13 by Saint Maul.

ramseysaint 05 June, 2020 13:49
Quote:
Saint Maul
Does anyone know how acoustics work to be able to answer the question, is it possible to improve acoustics in the existing stands without replacing them e.g. by adding some form of cladding to increase sound rebounding and echo?
Perhaps for future stands/roof replacements we need to encourage the management to consider acoustics in the design phase.

I used to love being in the Gordons Stand when it was all standing for the noise, atmosphere and banter.

I'm no acoustics expert but there was a decrease in noise from where I sit when they took away the "wall" at the side of the Churches stand to build the corner where it joins the Barwell stand.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net