Latest news:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Jamie Gibson leaves
Discussion started by Chris Hoddle , 29 June, 2020 15:04
Jamie Gibson leaves
Chris Hoddle 29 June, 2020 15:04

Re: Jamie Gibson leaves
jimmies 29 June, 2020 15:10
Looks like we are at our budget limit....

HerbieSaint 29 June, 2020 15:27
Really sorry to see this - I hope he manages to find another club. He's been a great player for us.

I think there's going to be a lot of this over the next few days (see also the Brad Barritt news) as clubs look to cut costs, and we reach the 30 June date most contracts expire.

HRsaints fan 29 June, 2020 15:29
I am not sure he is going to another club. The comments by Chris Boyd are rather strange, and imply that he is moving away from playing full-time rugby. I might be wrong, but I don't know how, if he goes to another club, he could be available to return "if we suffer a spate of injuries" ?

Sir Hector 29 June, 2020 15:30
With budgets being squeezed across pro rugby, it sort of makes sense. Jamie is a bright bloke with options. Iím sure as much as heíd have liked to stay playing on a good wage, there comes a point where the numbers stop working, competition for places from younger squad members, the risk of injury (he had a long lay-off with his ankle) the challenges of turning 30 and swingeing salary reductions probably tip the balance. Interestingly, it seems the door has been left open for him to provide injury cover in the short term so heís not going to another club. Best of luck Jamie!

tedge 29 June, 2020 15:40
It's not easy to read between the lines of what both he and Chris Boyd said - possibly he was being lined up for another contract which has become a victim of enforced financial cuts. In any event imo he was an excellent signing and has given top value during his time here; he will be hard to replace.

Saint Tim 29 June, 2020 15:40
Really quite strange

Tidy 29 June, 2020 15:47
He stated a new deal was virtually done before Covid came

HerbieSaint 29 June, 2020 16:00
I think the "spate of injuries" comment is referring to the possibility of a short term deal this season should we suffer any injuries after the season resumes. He would essentially come back under the medical joker dispensation if we got a long-term injury to a back rower.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/06/2020 16:01 by HerbieSaint.

andysaint 29 June, 2020 16:11
Such a shame to see Jamie leave. A good player and has had some really good form for Saints. With his degree he seems to have a life outside of rugby prepared or preparing for so hopefully he wonít find himself short on something to do.

Heís still got something to offer in the Premiership and if thatís the way he wants to go I hope he finds himself a new deal soon.

riverlodge 29 June, 2020 16:13
sad to see this
in our 'worst' season he was head and shoulders our best performer, and has never been anything but a huge fighter and highly professional
i'll not forget watching one of his first appearances for us (maybe first?) back up at Welford Rd where his ex 'mates' continually tried the treatment on him, he just kept getting back up each time and worked harder
good luck Jamie, you've been a true Saint

Walks11 29 June, 2020 16:13
Great shame and a great player IMO. Perhaps committing to the signing of Adendorff pre COVID and Jamie not quite signing a new deal has meant the cost cutting has cost Him a place.

ramseysaint 29 June, 2020 16:43
Sad to see him go, he has always given his all for the club.

OldMarovian 29 June, 2020 17:22
A brilliant player and one of Saints most consistent and effective for many seasons. An absolute pain to pay against which is probably one of the highest compliments you can get from the opposition. Good luck to him whatever he does next. Masterchef maybe? if not rugby?

Fellocks 29 June, 2020 18:18
Seems strange to sign Isiekwe for a year and then not have the ability to renew the contract of player like Gibson with 150 starts or whatever the number is.

Saint Ted 29 June, 2020 19:05
Reading the article and the statement from Jamie, it would very much look like a contract was on the table before Covid happened, for one reason or another that didnít make it over the line, could have been Jamie looking at options or trying to improve the offer, now because of reasons beyond either parties control, that offer clearly isnít there anymore.

People are quick to jump on the club (more so on Facebook than here) when players move on, but there are two parties involved in the negotiations, this should always be considered.

andysaint 29 June, 2020 19:11
Wasnít there talk of Jamie leaving a year ago only for there to be a re-signing at the last minute? A one year deal may have indicated that one or both parties were looking at other options in any event. I seem to recall that there was talk of a move to London Irish?

PelerinStJames 29 June, 2020 19:18
Wonder if he is going to studying/trying for a Blue next year, hence the potential short term injury availability. Whatever he does, Good Luck Jamie.

Saint Maul 29 June, 2020 21:42
I'm struggling to think of where I have felt more uncomfortable about the club's role in a player leaving. We signed Isiekwe on a year loan meaning we've had to get rid of Gibson who in Boyd's own words is a shining example of professionalism. Isiekwe's signing was questionable before this.

Very best wishes for the future to Jamie and his family. I really really hope with his brains he goes on to great things. To his great credit his leaving message is dignified and fond of his time with Saints.

Sainttwist 29 June, 2020 21:52
With Gibson going, does that free up some much needed Salary for Isiekwe to sign permanently?

TringSaint 29 June, 2020 22:12
Thatís a bloody big hole to fill. JG has been a top performer since joining and a player I have really like to watch.
Kind of gutted he is going and not being able to see out his years here as a stalwart. Maybe those days are behind us as the brave new world brings short term appointments over long term solidity.

Shame as a fan itís great to watch a player develop but I get an inkling that the hartleys and lawes of this world will be a dying breed as we see new cheaper imports bolstering the ranks of the squad at the senior players trot off to japan or France for a payday (not that I blame them - I would).

I get the commercial realities of the market we are in but i do fear that without some central model for EQ players, some teams will be well and truly shafted whilst others smile sweetly as they lose very few players during the AI and 6N period.

The only silver lining is that this will, for once, force sarries to trim their squad to one that is compliant with the rules, although I guess some others of a West Country persuasion may be in some bother in the months ahead unless they have rapidly renegotiated some deals.

Fellocks 29 June, 2020 22:29
Completely agree

Fellocks 29 June, 2020 22:31
Quote:
Fellocks
Completely agree
with Saint Maul

shendy 30 June, 2020 06:56
Quote:
Sainttwist
With Gibson going, does that free up some much needed Salary for Isiekwe to sign permanently?

I think Isiekwe has recently signed a new deal with Sarries (as in the last few weeks) - so while it's always possible, it's perhaps unlikely to become permanent.
But having said that, I do sometimes wonder how many of the loanees might not go back.

andysaint 30 June, 2020 07:42
Also agree with Saint Maul. We seem to be struggling with the back row. Signing a player from D2, signing a loan player, publicly stating we are having difficulties obtaining a replacement from Brussow and having to release a player with the experience form and consistency as Gibson. With Isikwe only here for a year, Wood and Lawes moving into the twilight of their careers I think after 2020/2021 we need to do some serious recruitment in this area. At present it feels like temporary fixes.

Saint Ted 30 June, 2020 08:03
Boyd has already said that Isikwe is a temporary fix and will continue to search for a Brussow replacement next season.

Gibson has been unlucky with the circumstances here, if you read the chron article, Gibson was taking some time to look at his options before signing (did the same last year and ended up signing at the last minute) and unfortunately the offer had to be withdrawn.

The club clearly wanted him to stay and if circumstances permit will get him back but things beyond anyoneís control got in the way.

The Isikwe signing happened before changes to the salary cap happened and as a replacement for Brussow so shouldnít really be a factor in this, even less so as he wonít be around when the cap goes down.

Add to that, Wood triggered the clause in his contract by playing enough minutes to get another year extension

So given that the cap has been reduced, a bunch of longer term contracts have had to be negotiated, see announcements over the next couple of days, unfortunately for Jamie, that has left less room to play with.

I suspect we wonít be the only club that has to be without a player they would like to keep, but unfortunately we are in a situation that has changed the game, blaming the club without looking at the bigger picture isnít perhaps the best

Deesaint 30 June, 2020 09:37
Quote:
Saint Ted
Boyd has already said that Isikwe is a temporary fix and will continue to search for a Brussow replacement next season.
Gibson has been unlucky with the circumstances here, if you read the chron article, Gibson was taking some time to look at his options before signing (did the same last year and ended up signing at the last minute) and unfortunately the offer had to be withdrawn.

The club clearly wanted him to stay and if circumstances permit will get him back but things beyond anyoneís control got in the way.

The Isikwe signing happened before changes to the salary cap happened and as a replacement for Brussow so shouldnít really be a factor in this, even less so as he wonít be around when the cap goes down.

Add to that, Wood triggered the clause in his contract by playing enough minutes to get another year extension

So given that the cap has been reduced, a bunch of longer term contracts have had to be negotiated, see announcements over the next couple of days, unfortunately for Jamie, that has left less room to play with.

I suspect we wonít be the only club that has to be without a player they would like to keep, but unfortunately we are in a situation that has changed the game, blaming the club without looking at the bigger picture isnít perhaps the best

Couldn't agree more, the amount of conspiracy theories running around makes me feel that lock-down has effected people in a strange way.
JG , and his agent, thought he was worth more than the club offered, took time to look elsewhere, fell foul of the financial effects of covid 19, ended up with no contract, which according to some is the club's fault.

tedge 30 June, 2020 10:00
It's called the blame game; everything bad that happens must be somebody's fault

Duckonstilts 30 June, 2020 10:17
Well It all depends if Saracens get promoted yet. I mean they should but its technically possible that they struggle, with so many players on load an Injury crisis could come calling.

Dragonboy 30 June, 2020 10:18
And in fairness this is the second time that Jamie has decided to run his contract right down to the wire - for whatever reason - so itís not all down to the club.

A friend of mine who is home working heard that her CEO announced last week that there will be redundancies announced in the coming weeks as they have lost business due to Covid and as the rest of the year unfurls there are going to be many people sadly in this situation.

I think the Nick Isiekwe signing should also be seen in the light that right at the start of the rumour season we were hearing that Joel Kpoku was coming so we were clearly in the market for another second row and as the situation panned out Just before shutdown our cupboard was getting a bit bare.

The fact that Nick can play 6 does make this a good signing and will allow Alex Cole to develop gradually as befits his age rather than overplaying him.

Really sad to see Jaime go but as has been written elsewhere, and above, he does have other interests and may have chosen to look beyond The rugby pitch. His time out injured may well have given him time for reflection on his future.

Thrupp artist 30 June, 2020 11:51
With Courtney often now a 6 Tom still playing well and JJ Tonks a great prospect needing regular rugby I reckon 6 is a position of strength leaving aside Nick's arrival. I also think we can mix and match from 5 good players in the second row so 7/8 remain the positions where we could be stretched if injuries strike. Anyway good luck to Jamie a fine player who like many new arrivals seemed initially under rated by folks on here but soon became a firm supporters favourite .

shendy 30 June, 2020 13:23
Quote:
Duckonstilts
Well It all depends if Saracens get promoted yet. I mean they should but its technically possible that they struggle, with so many players on load an Injury crisis could come calling.

Sarries have announced a third signing from the Championship today - there was Hooley and someone else last week, and now prop Clarey from Jersey.
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Saint Stokey 30 June, 2020 16:46
3 signings and all the loanees returning next year will make it tough to get under the lowered cap. Unless Barritt was being paid millions.

Let's face it, from what we know, he could well have been!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net