Latest news:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Leicester Players in dispute
Discussion started by Chris Hoddle , 29 June, 2020 16:34
Leicester Players in dispute
Chris Hoddle 29 June, 2020 16:34
Including some of the more senior first team players apparently.
[www.bbc.co.uk]

http://chrishoddle.smugmug.com/photos/i-TsCHdzK/0/M/i-TsCHdzK-M.gif

Re: Leicester Players in dispute
Sir Hector 29 June, 2020 16:50
Mmm, not looking too healthy up the road! The Tigers forum are in despair at the way the board have managed the whole affaire and I have a great deal of sympathy for them, the club seems to be rotting from the top down.

andysaint 29 June, 2020 17:15
In my opinion itís a combination of things, the board/management having little clue on modern rugby and player power being an issue. Iíve said before Tigers could do well with getting rid of a few of the senior players and at times I get the impression having a particular surname/family connection counts for too much there.

Wonder who will break first, the Management or players.

higgy365 29 June, 2020 18:19
There was a golden opportunity here to go full Carry On.... and title this thread ĎLeicester players are revoltingí

Worrying times for their fans- how much further will things go before they hit their nadir and start rebuilding/rebounding (as Iím prettysure they will at some point)

Borthwick will have his plate full from Day 1 but I can see him doing a good job for them in time.

chappers_saint 29 June, 2020 18:20
Quote:
andysaint
In my opinion itís a combination of things, the board/management having little clue on modern rugby and player power being an issue. Iíve said before Tigers could do well with getting rid of a few of the senior players and at times I get the impression having a particular surname/family connection counts for too much there.

If you cannot afford to pay the wage or you go above the cap and there no reason why Tigers should not be relegated too. Is that possible??

tigerburnie 29 June, 2020 19:20
Quote:
chappers_saint
Quote:
andysaint

If you cannot afford to pay the wage or you go above the cap and there no reason why Tigers should not be relegated too. Is that possible??
I believe the whole point in reducing some players salary is to ensure we do not exceed the new reduced salary cap, something that will be happening at all the clubs in the Premiership, including Northampton who like Tigers were up to the old cap.

chappers_saint 29 June, 2020 21:41
Quote:
tigerburnie
Quote:
chappers_saint
Quote:
andysaint

I believe the whole point in reducing some players salary is to ensure we do not exceed the new reduced salary cap, something that will be happening at all the clubs in the Premiership, including Northampton who like Tigers were up to the old cap.

That's my point, they force this issue and they shoot themselves in the foot as they will lose their jobs any way.

I get they want to protect their income but could end up costing them it.

Now with lock down in Leicester, it wont be a smooth end for you guys.

tigerburnie 29 June, 2020 21:51
Just to end on a happy note, they've discovered another flu like virus in China that has pandemic potential, makes you wonder what the hell is going on. Me and my missus are shielding and still have not been out since March apart from in the garden and a cycle ride round the village perimeter early or late to avoid other folk, luckily we can get food delivered, take care all and stay patient.

charlieemeriau 30 June, 2020 08:46
Quote:
chappers_saint
Quote:
tigerburnie
Quote:
chappers_saint
Quote:
andysaint

That's my point, they force this issue and they shoot themselves in the foot as they will lose their jobs any way.

I get they want to protect their income but could end up costing them it.

Now with lock down in Leicester, it wont be a smooth end for you guys.

I thought Saints managed to keep the cut quite low 12% (not sure about that bit), but read they are asking some of the players at Leicester to take a 25% pay cut. I dont think that is a fair way to do it. If I was a player I would tell them to go forth...
Lavanini moves across to England a year in his contract he is being told to take a pay cut. If you were Genge or Ford, I think you would fancy your chances of finding another club. But Leicester is symptomatic of a club with a lot of problems.

Saint Stokey 30 June, 2020 08:57
I wonder how much losing the likes of Gibson, Dylan, Brussow, Haskell, Eadie and Franks has meant that we can be below the new reduced Cap and not suffer the same turmoil?

charlieemeriau 30 June, 2020 09:48
Yes its nice to see the club seems to have handled it better than others. it might make the end of the season and the start of next quite different for some clubs. I wonder if some clubs will still have some funds/space to pounce on some of the fall out.

fleetg 30 June, 2020 21:27
I would imagine with those players plus Reinach off the books, we had a chunk available in order to reward the younger talent with much improved contracts. Plus signing them all by 30th June means we can take advantage of new salary cap rules.

chappers_saint 30 June, 2020 23:27
Darbon I think is the key difference between clubs, a shrewd and pragmatic operator at the helm.

Sadly for Tigers they dont have the same it seems and the turmoil from last year just got a whole lot worse. I feel for Tigerburnie and the rest of the loyal fans.

We have been there, i wouldn't wish it on anyone...maybe Sarries

andysaint 01 July, 2020 07:31
Genge and Ford have re-signed, Tuilagi refusing Tuilagi exit

Considering the amount of injuries he has had, he should IMO show better loyalty but perhaps with the way it has been handled that goes out the window.

Saint Maul 01 July, 2020 07:51
It looks like Tuilagi will be the first England player to head abroad. How many more will follow for the larger wages on offer abroad?

In the meantime he has a contract with Tigers so can sue if they don't pay his full wages until he finds another club.

Dragonboy 01 July, 2020 09:08
Looks like Jordan Taufua might be homeless ............ If only. Maybe Owen could put in a word.

tigerburnie 01 July, 2020 19:36

andysaint 01 July, 2020 20:19
Quote:
Saint Maul
It looks like Tuilagi will be the first England player to head abroad. How many more will follow for the larger wages on offer abroad?
In the meantime he has a contract with Tigers so can sue if they don't pay his full wages until he finds another club.

These players digging their heels in must be sure in themselves thatís they either have another deal ready or are able to sue for the contract. Considering their stance Tigers seem pretty certain that they can just let players go. Both sides canít be right!

Saint Mulc 02 July, 2020 17:26
If I was a Tigers fan I'd be very disappointed with Manu Tuilagi. Considering his injury and disciplinary record he has missed more games than he has played yet the club have always shown faith in him and rewarded him with a big salary. Thought he might have shown a little loyalty in return during these exceptional circumstances.

saint krige 02 July, 2020 20:53
Quote:
Saint Mulc
If I was a Tigers fan I'd be very disappointed with Manu Tuilagi. Considering his injury and disciplinary record he has missed more games than he has played yet the club have always shown faith in him and rewarded him with a big salary. Thought he might have shown a little loyalty in return during these exceptional circumstances.

I think that's a tad unfair. He turned down a massive offer from Racing92 last year to stay with Tigers on less money. I think at least one injury came from being rushed back prematurely b/c Tigs were struggling too.

I'm all for players doing what is best for them, especially at the tail-end of their careers. Theres a lot of years of life after rugby.

Saint Mulc 02 July, 2020 23:33
Its only my personal opinion and I certainly don't have any detailed information of any negotiations that may or may not have taken place between the Club and Manu and his advisors.
He has been very well rewarded at Tigers. Some seasons he rarely made an appearance due to injury yet he was one of the best paid players. If I recall correctly every time he has renegotiated a new contract with the Tigers his agent has stated x number of teams want him and have offered much more than Tigers have to get even more money out of the Tigers. This was probably the case with Racing 92. No way of knowing for sure if these were genuine or speculative offers.
Manu is a very talented player but I don't believe Tigers have had value for money. I'd be surprised if any club offered a player with his history a long term contract without a minimum appearance clause.
I agree with everything you say regarding player's longevity and maximising earnings but these are exceptional circumstances and clubs / employers could go bankrupt and cease to exist without cost cutting. Where will that leave the players then?

saint krige 03 July, 2020 08:50
I don't doubt that is a tactic used by many an agent, but with Manu it's probably not required to exaggerate offers from other clubs.
I think the Racing92 talk was quite serious, I understand he went to visit their facilities and it became an ongoing joke in the England camp at the time, was reportedly offered £830,000 per season, but chose Leicester and cited their loyalty towards him whilst being injured.

I think 25% cuts are very, very steep for any professional to accept and with the fact that 31 non-playing staff are to be made redundant, it really sounds like a club who aren't being run efficiently at all.

Stopsy 03 July, 2020 12:00
It was England who rushed him back and played him injured without a full medical review.

Londonsaint 03 July, 2020 12:27
Think this team (of Tigers exits this year) would give the Tigers first team a decent game:
15. Holmes
14. Veainu
13. Tuilagi
12. Eastmond
11. May or Thompstone
10. Costelow
9. ???
8. Kalamafoni
7. Thompson
6. Taufua (not sure if he's gone)
5. Lavanini (not sure if he's gone)
4. Spencer
3. Cortes
2. Polota-Nau
1. Bateman

Stopsy 03 July, 2020 13:29
Lavanini extended, but quite a talent list above

Saint Stokey 03 July, 2020 17:03
Didn't Noel Reid leave as well?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net