Latest news:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Wasps
Discussion started by andysaint , 28 July, 2020 20:11
Wasps
andysaint 28 July, 2020 20:11
All sorts of mess and accusations going on in Coventry again. Coventry Football pulled out of negotiations to play at the Ricoh to play in Birmingham with both sides blaming each other, non disclosure agreements, Coventry now looking to build their own stadium. One does wonder if the owners of Coventry are dragging this out a bit hoping that Wasps really come unstuck with their finances and can buy the Ricoh cheaply. For a City the size of Coventry, it strikes me that neither clubs can garner the support of the locals. With the infighting, the city could end up without Wasps and CCFC in the future.

Do Wasps have a plan for the bonds yet?

Re: Wasps
Saint Tim 28 July, 2020 22:03
Default is about where they are with the bonds. Worth about 40p per £1 face value in recent trades.

Saint.Jimmy 29 July, 2020 19:43
Apologies if this has been posted before, but seems to suggest a longer term solution to the whole situation.

[www.ccfc.co.uk]

Presumably allowing wasps to stay put assuming they can afford to do so. CCFC do have an option to continue playing in Birmingham for the next season but presumably with a return to the Championship they would want to foster as much home support as possible by playing in their home town so a negotiation with Wasps is probably preferred.

andysaint 29 July, 2020 20:18
Quote:
Saint.Jimmy
Apologies if this has been posted before, but seems to suggest a longer term solution to the whole situation.
[www.ccfc.co.uk]

Presumably allowing wasps to stay put assuming they can afford to do so. CCFC do have an option to continue playing in Birmingham for the next season but presumably with a return to the Championship they would want to foster as much home support as possible by playing in their home town so a negotiation with Wasps is probably preferred.

Iíve seen that and think the university of Warwick is quite significant. Itís looks like to me relations with the local authority have soured and so are looking over the border for support. The hope maybe that the city of Coventry would not want to lose the club to Warwick. A lot of manoeuvring going on and still to do I reckon.

Nickd57 30 July, 2020 12:48
The University of Warwick is in Coventry, not Warwick!

samlee99 30 July, 2020 14:21
Quote:
Nickd57

I believe their Geography department is world class!

BrianB 30 July, 2020 15:42
Not surprisingly, they don't appear to have one!

G for.....

Saint Medard 31 July, 2020 15:37
A bit unfair! I lived nearby when it was being built and they weren't allowed to call it "Uni of Coventry" (can't remember why - the poly was still "Lanchester Poly", so perhaps geography is a problem). I recall that the first hall of residence was a giant blimp-like dome, on which the students painted "Led Zeppelin Hall".

andysaint 01 August, 2020 07:06
Quote:
Nickd57

Thatís embarrassing from someone who graduated from Cov. In my defence it was not in geography and Iíve not been there for 10 years.

samlee99 01 August, 2020 12:38
Quote:
BrianB
G for.....

Are you sure it's not in Coventry?

anderm 01 August, 2020 14:53
Quote:
samlee99
Quote:
BrianB
G for.....

Are you sure it's not in Coventry?

University of Warwick is in Coventry, the road that runs along side it Gibbet Hill is the boundary at that point.

The rumoured position for the CCFC stadium is however the other side of the road so in Warwickshire. Also on green belt land and right next to some very expensive houses, so the chances of it happening are slim.

TringSaint 04 August, 2020 08:21
There is also the athletics track where the Godiva harrriers are based which is bordering the uni campus so that would make sense if they needed to build a multi purpose stadium.

Worst thing they did was to build the Ricoh where it is. When I went to school on cov, the area around the old stadium would be heaving on a match day and you would hear the crowd across the city. Dumping it out by the m6 meant that supporters could walk there easily and made it less appealing.

There is a long and chequered past for sports clubs in the city with many going bust due to mismanagement- for a city of its size itís punching well under weight esp when you consider its rich rugby past.

Saint.Jimmy 04 August, 2020 21:17
Update RE: Wasps?

Ricoh arena awarded 3.8million plus additional 1.4million funding to update conference and exhibition spaces ahead of the Commonwealth games.

Is this money of benefit to Wasps and aiding them to remain in Coventry or is the conference centre a separate entity?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net