The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Exeter Vs Saints - Match Thread
Discussion started by Buzzardsaint , 20 September, 2020 17:00
Exeter Vs Saints - Match Thread
Buzzardsaint 20 September, 2020 17:00
All comment here. COYS

Re: Exeter Vs Saints - Match Thread
ajack 20 September, 2020 17:22
Don't like to hear Boyd say we need luck to win in the pre match interview. Very much a losers attitude.

Saint Ted 20 September, 2020 17:23
Quote:
Buzzardsaint
All comment here. COYS

Thanks for starting, got to the pub a little earlier than I was expecting and totally forgot!

Buzzardsaint 20 September, 2020 17:27
Quote:
Saint Ted
Quote:
Buzzardsaint
All comment here. COYS

Thanks for starting, got to the pub a little earlier than I was expecting and totally forgot!

Haha keep drinking. Have one for me.

Deesaint 20 September, 2020 17:28
Have to admit
Sufficiently numbed by alcohol

Could this be the changing point
A win or bloody close will do one hell of a lot for confidence

Please can we not play the Sieve defence

Buzzardsaint 20 September, 2020 17:38
Good start 0-3 Biggs

Deesaint 20 September, 2020 17:52
That was fantastic commitment
Then we just let ourselves down with cr@p defence
You will never win win defence that poor

Whiston Saint 20 September, 2020 17:53
Much better performance and then terrible defence from the centres.

herbie85 20 September, 2020 18:00
Arguably been quite even, just a difference at the collision, their carries are bigger than ours. Decent start from saints though, much better than since lockdown

Saint Ted 20 September, 2020 18:02
Quote:
Whiston Saint
Much better performance and then terrible defence from the centres.
Agreed, our best two defending centres are Francis and Proctor, Dingwall and Hutch, great going forward but not great in defence

chappers_saint 20 September, 2020 18:04
Exeter are constantly over the top and off their feet. Killing our quick ball and attack. Good from us but yet again no idea in the red zone

herbie85 20 September, 2020 18:06
Lots of Exeter lazy runners and slow out of the ruck area. If the ref wanted to sort it he could do....

ajack 20 September, 2020 18:11
Much better performance.

Le marseillais 20 September, 2020 18:12
I think it's an error not to take the three points when you can

ASM Clermont Auvergne supporter

chappers_saint 20 September, 2020 18:12
Seems like ref is picking up on Exeter now and we are getting some momentum. Brilliant try

TimperleySaint 20 September, 2020 18:18
Really harsh penalty to stop that last attack.

I don't care what the result is. This performance is head and shoulders above anything post lock down.

Manny has looked solid so far.

Buzzardsaint 20 September, 2020 18:19
That pen from Carley was so harsh, typical of his ref style. Anyway great 40 from us.

St Marcus 20 September, 2020 18:21
So so much better. The level of intensity is vastly improved and really enjoyable to watch. Keep it up boys!

TringSaint 20 September, 2020 18:22
That is the best 40 we have played for a long time. Not perfect and still plenty of room for improvement, but the level of commitment, focus, physicality and desire is soooooooooo much better than what has been served up for most of this year.
A huge step in the right direction.

Keep it up lads!

Angus67 20 September, 2020 18:25
At last, a performance to be pleased with, a vast improvement. I still expect us to lose but if we go as well in the second half they can hold heads high.

I am getting mightily sick of the pundits blowing sunshine up the Chiefs backsides. Give it a rest.

COYS!

Fat Prop 20 September, 2020 18:27
Much better, however I still fear Exeter will run away with it in the second half...

They seem to be able to score so much more easily than we can and as a result I think we might have had to work so hard that we could just run out of steam.

Finger still crossed tho !!!!

TimperleySaint 20 September, 2020 18:31
Exeter are likely to pull away but win or lose let's keep up our effort.

ajack 20 September, 2020 18:33
Now the real test begins as Exeter will come out having looked at how we played the first half.

Le marseillais 20 September, 2020 18:36
Take 3 !!!!

herbie85 20 September, 2020 18:37
Dreadful defence for Exeter try. Thought we should have had a pen rather than their scrum from five metre line out

Whiston Saint 20 September, 2020 18:46
If we made our tackles we would still be in this. Simple numbering up but we constantly shoot ourselves in the foot.

TimperleySaint 20 September, 2020 18:51
Fantastic try from dingwall. First phase play. Brilliant.

Le marseillais 20 September, 2020 18:53
Isn't it time now for Saville to play ?

Walks11 20 September, 2020 19:04
So frustrated with Carley, being very picky with us and not so much with them.. while I donít condone itís no wonder Biggs is also getting frustrated

Walks11 20 September, 2020 19:11
Manny Iyogun take a bow, brilliant performance all things considered

ajack 20 September, 2020 19:11
Hell of a stint from Manny. 70 minutes and still winning penalties. I cannot remember us winning so many scrum penalties in one match this season.

herbie85 20 September, 2020 19:14
I really wish we sort out defence system out and make tackles. Costs us so badly. Well done Manny iyogun, stood up today.

Walks11 20 September, 2020 19:16
Quote:
herbie85
I really wish we sort out defence system out and make tackles. Costs us so badly. Well done Manny iyogun, stood up today.

You could have the best system in the world if players miss one on one tackles the system is irrelevant

Deesaint 20 September, 2020 19:16
Letís be honest whatever you think of the referee
He is not responsible for the defence opening up like it does
Sorry time is up
Vass either make it work or step aside

Pagel best ever 20 September, 2020 19:18
Well played Manny, 70 minutes some effort

Whiston Saint 20 September, 2020 19:20
It will be interesting to see how Exeter get on with a proper Referee in the semi-final. I can see carnage at the breakdown.

Much better from us but I felt that Isiekwe was not very interested and others never gave up. If we had played like that previously we would have beaten Exeter (H) and Leicester (A) at the very least.

Aberavon Wizard 20 September, 2020 19:26
I also noticed that Isiekwe looked as though he really did not want to be there.......but hey, its better than playing at Ampthill and Doncaster !

andysaint 20 September, 2020 19:27
Not surprised by the result at least e performance was better than last week. Some better individual performances but some players desperately still need to find some form. Back to the league

WesternWanderer 20 September, 2020 19:27
Impressed with Api's workrate, thought Taylor was feisty round the fringes and got ball out faster than Mitchell, but Naiyaravoro's confidence looks shot. Definitely encouraging signs.

Hollywood JK 20 September, 2020 19:29
Lots to work on, but finally a performance with real intensity, aggression for 80 minutes. We needed to convert our chances to win, but much better. Set piece held its own.

If we continue with that as the standard, then there is hope.

Blimey, how good are Exeter though. A bad day at the office, and still lethal..

Helmet and sack 20 September, 2020 19:30
Tackling is as bad as I've ever seen it. Our approach play to the red zone is dreadful too. Any lineout with a modicum of pressure (when the chips are down) is a failure. What a disappointing season. The distance between saints and chiefs is huge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/09/2020 19:32 by Helmet and sack.

Duckonstilts 20 September, 2020 19:31
We did ok. Yes we scored 2 trys off the back of our lineouts but not keeping the scoring up by kicking is a real issue. Why are we so scared of it?

Dan has only scored from the boot 21 times this season. He is an 85% + kicker.

I think the team worked really hard though, we just are not good enough yet.

Big daddy 3 20 September, 2020 19:33
COYS
please could all on here email Franklins gardens
Thanking the team for the massive effort and determination the intensity was amazing .what a performance from the front row ?

We need to get behind the guys let them know we are
I know we still didnít win but we need to carry on the momentum

Angus67 20 September, 2020 19:33
Manny Iyogun, take a bow, what a shift! Let's hope that get to see much more like that from him and it was great to see him getting applause from Eddie Jones.

Defence is still not convincing, but overall in comparison to previous performances a massive improvement.

Last part of the match I turned sky commentary off as I was sick of the constant purring over Chiefs, whom I wish well in the semi finals.

but the last words should be the same as the first ,Manny Iyogun !

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 20/09/2020 19:38 by Angus67.

ajack 20 September, 2020 19:45
I think Boyd summed it up perfectly, we had to work too hard for our points and they didn't have to work hard enough. Probably our best performance of this year not just since lockdown and a well below par one from Exeter and we still lost by four clear scores. Is this a turning point or just papering over the cracks?

Duckonstilts 20 September, 2020 19:46
It must be remembered that Exeter has been building this team for a long time using the same systems.

It is going to take time to be that good. But at least we played for 80 mins.

I quite liked the look of our team today except in open field defence . We did look really dodgy there. But we need to be scoring points....

SaintsDuncan 20 September, 2020 19:51
Much better performance and no noticable injuries which is all I was hoping for from this game.

....oh and Manny? Looked absolutely s*****d when he came off. Great man, left everything on the pitch

fleetg 20 September, 2020 20:02
Wow.
Sad times that we have reached the stage when numerous postings are lauding the effort when losing heavily again with a defence that seems non existent at times and decision making when considering the experience is very poor still.
Mens versus boys unfortunately.
How we have slipped so far away from the top teams is really quite sad.

Walks11 20 September, 2020 20:06
Much much better I would say..

Positives (but still far from where it needs to be)..

Manny
General attitude and appetite for work
Handling generally much better
Forwards running onto the ball with a bit of purpose
Looked after the ball better, ruck clear outs, etc

Negatives

Too many 1 on 1 tackles missed
Still have some sort of brain freeze when we are camped in 22

Coltnet 20 September, 2020 20:25
Much better today. Still too many basic errors to really compete. Never thought weíd win. Just wanted us to be competitive and we were. Well done lads, great shift. As I said though too many basic errors. If we iron those out then we can be a good team again. If!

Scooby Saint COYS 20 September, 2020 22:02
Plenty to work on, but that was much better. As others have commented I donít really get why we donít kick at goal more, to keep the score ticking over and put pressure on the opposition, but thatís for another day.

Dragonboy 21 September, 2020 09:04
A vastly improved performance and pride in the shirt could be seen but our defence has gone backwards under Ian Vass and this area used to be one of our strengths.

The other point that needs addressing is line outs in the opposition 22. How the heck has something which was again one of our strengths now gone to a 50/50 lottery with so many throws going too long? The only thing that has changed is that Woody isnít in there but we have enough line out options on the park.

Maybe when we start looking at players for 21/22 which will no doubt be starting soon,if not already, then maybe we need to look for a new no 2.

Malcom Marx anybody?

Aberavon Wizard 21 September, 2020 09:37
For me 'Big T' starts or does not play at all - I do not see him as an effective player off the bench.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/09/2020 09:37 by Aberavon Wizard.

Walks11 21 September, 2020 12:09
Quote:
Dragonboy
A vastly improved performance and pride in the shirt could be seen but our defence has gone backwards under Ian Vass and this area used to be one of our strengths.
The other point that needs addressing is line outs in the opposition 22. How the heck has something which was again one of our strengths now gone to a 50/50 lottery with so many throws going too long? The only thing that has changed is that Woody isnít in there but we have enough line out options on the park.

Maybe when we start looking at players for 21/22 which will no doubt be starting soon,if not already, then maybe we need to look for a new no 2.

Malcom Marx anybody?

You can have the best defensive set up in the world, if a player misses a 1 on 1 tackle (which we do a lot) then not sure what can be done other than a change in playing personnel. Most of the tries we concede ignoring the maul and close to the line pick and goes are from turnovers we have conceded. Stop conceding so many by not coughing up easy ball and you may see defensive stats improve

Gwendoline 21 September, 2020 14:56
Well I know they won but I thought our team did well . And as for our new baby prop. What a hero !!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net