Latest news:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Nostalgia
Discussion started by Helmet and sack , 13 October, 2020 17:50
Nostalgia
Helmet and sack 13 October, 2020 17:50
It occurs to me that this post may be seen as a bit footbally in nature but does anyone miss the times when saints would get linked with some real up and coming talent. As much as I appreciate that there is something noble about bringing through local players and being sustainable, I miss Saints being mentioned with some new players. So in the interest of some totally idle but realistic speculation, who would the readers be keen to bring in if there was a little bit of room in a budget?

I was pretty excited about Proctor and Franks when they were announced...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/10/2020 17:51 by Helmet and sack.

Re: Nostalgia
ch saint 13 October, 2020 18:15
Would it be unfair to say they haven't performed to their potential yet.
I believe Proctor will next season.
I would just like a real big 8, and a dominant loose head. I would prefer an unknown like Samu who joins us and cuts a swathe through the prem. Our new SA 8 looks handy but he's up against real tough opposition in the prem.
Lets be honest we are just missing the experience of winning or even coming close.

Longers 13 October, 2020 18:32
The first player who I got excited over arriving at the Saints was Roger Arneil. Certainly not up and coming, he was already capped by Scotland, I can't remember where he was working but it brought him to The Gardens.

Fast forward to Andrew Blowers and Bruce Reihana. Real excitement again. Tom Smith - yes.

But then?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/10/2020 18:32 by Longers.

Dave Jackson 13 October, 2020 18:47
Carlos Spencer was the one name that excited me.

Some games he lived up to the hype, some he didnt but certainly put bums on seats and created some excitement.

StBuckby 13 October, 2020 18:48
Ultimately it has to be Wayne Shelford. On a scale of top players, pound for pound hes the best weve had. Also Pagel because of articles I had read about his scrummaging prior to joining. I relished Andy Northey because I love a hard northern bar steward despite his limitations. Carlos Spencer was fun initially but we got relegated.

Right now Id like Ardie Savea. He is all action, played under Boyd and would completely change our breakdown and bring the younger guys with him. I think he would change our currently passive forwards.

Deesaint 13 October, 2020 19:02
Gary Pagel was immense
Just watching him almost walk through the oppos scrum was fantastic

Carlos hugely entertaining but it took the rest of the team at least a season to get on his wavelength

Lam, Blowers, Wilson, Louis, and many more brought so much

But Buck was just top of the pile
He changed the whole club
Attitude, ethos work rate, the club took a step up

Dont suppose he could be tempted to have one last season:-)

StBuckby 13 October, 2020 19:40
You make a very good point

If he was around right now, he would be the ideal signing. Big 8, winner, leader, inspirational.

smitferbrainz 13 October, 2020 20:32
I think top players used to covet playing for Saints and wed get linked with loads even if very few came off. Often it was fun reading about and debating the rumours. Were linked with hardly anyone now and were not the draw for players anymore. Hopefully we will be again. The excitement when George North and Corbs were signed was brilliant.

Proctor is a seriously good player and well see the best of him at some point. Sorry, but Owen Franks, for me, has been a complete waste of probably big bucks.

Dragonboy 13 October, 2020 20:55
Well Im still expecting Naas Botha and Magnus Lund to turn up once their paperwork is sorted .......

Of the new kids on the block Hoskins Sotutu and Caleb Clarke will do nicely.

Of the not so new kids Ash Dixon. Watched him the other day and a great leader and hits his jumpers every time.

Our line out has bin dire no matter who wore 2 or 16. Bit like Keith Wood who had the nickname Scud. You knew the ball was coming but no one could predict where it would land

Saint Maul 13 October, 2020 21:30
Of the new kids Jordan Joseph. He's gonna be big at the next World Cup in from of a home crowd.

Of the not so new kids Viliame Mata.

ajack 13 October, 2020 21:35
Pat Lam and Buck are probably the ones that made the biggest impact in terms of the team. Pagel, AB, Mooj, Tiny and Samu probably gave more than most expected when they joined. We seem to have not got the best out of our later big signings.

shiversaint 14 October, 2020 08:05
It's been a few years since a big signing has really delivered? I think quite a few of us are ambivalent about the shifts Biggar has put in but of course a soft pack really does not help that. I suppose that's true for most of the back line.

I would say Taqele has probably met expectations for me. I would still like to see him develop further but to a degree if that was going to happen, you'd think it already would have. He's a good wildcard.

Carlos was by far the most exciting one for me and really gave me the bug with Saints. The highs were worth every single low, and I daresay Mr. C. Ashton probably wouldn't be where he is had the King not taken him under his wing.

LeicesterSaint 14 October, 2020 08:48
This has reminded me of the Brad Shields rumour - at the time I wasn't enthused from what I'd seen of him, not that he was bad by any stretch, it just wasn't exciting in the way that the prospect of bringing in North, Corbs or King Louis was. However with the loss of a lot of our leadership including Brussow and Wood in the backrow I actually think it would have been really useful to have had him this season for that reason alone in a now very young back row.

I think Proctor's been pretty damn good, a few injuries aside - he's looked brilliant when we've played well (Tigers debut?) and has always fought and contributed even when we've been poor, also covering on the wing pretty well when needed. I also think/hope that the likes of Hutch and Dingwall are benefitting from training and playing with him (and Francis).

Who would I bring in if available? Easy, poach Reinach back! Everyone sees the intercepts and the length of the field tries with a chip and gather but I really think we miss his scrap and energy as well, he made a lot of tackles and drove the forwards around. For all his potential quality I'm not sure that Mitchell is quite there yet in terms of booting the forwards up the a*se when needed! For all that I think size alone isn't importance and we're not that far away from everyone else as some think I would also be happy to see a big lump of a prop, 2nd row, 8 or even 12 - it does help to have a 'get out of jail card'!

Aloosecannon 14 October, 2020 11:04
For me it was the signing of Gregor Townsend in 1995 which I was most excited about and he didnt disappoint. I remember his debut away at Goldington Road and he was sublime.

Deesaint 14 October, 2020 12:24
Quote:
Aloosecannon
For me it was the signing of Gregor Townsend in 1995 which I was most excited about and he didnt disappoint. I remember his debut away at Goldington Road and he was sublime.

That was a 2 for 1 offer.

StBleach 15 October, 2020 16:36
Buck Shelford for me - a current All Black - i remember the excitement and dissapointment when he had to miss the Cup Final

ThornbySaint 20 October, 2020 20:38
This nostalgia thing isnt what it used to be

shendy 21 October, 2020 11:47
I am frankly *amazed* that it took a week for someone to make that comment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net