Latest news:

The Unofficial Northampton Saints Supporters' Message Board

Congratulations to Exeter
Discussion started by Saintlyg , 17 October, 2020 17:43
Congratulations to Exeter
Saintlyg 17 October, 2020 17:43
Congrats to Exeter Chiefs on Becoming European Champions. Boy did they make all the folks in Devon sweat over it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/10/2020 17:51 by Saintlyg.

Re: Congratulations ro Exeter
lilyg 17 October, 2020 17:45
What a nail biter! Really enjoyed that! Well done Chiefs!

Re: Congratulations to Exeter
shendy 17 October, 2020 18:21
What a cracking game! So pleased for Exeter, Baxter, Hepher, Hunter and co.
And topping out a great weekend for English rugby.

Hantsaintsrus4 17 October, 2020 20:16
Good refereeing showed up what cheats Ex are on the floor at the breakdown, let's hope they get penalised in the Final next week.

StBuckby 18 October, 2020 00:30
Fantastic game and deserved winners. Amazing defence around the 70th minute which was pure desire.

stjj 18 October, 2020 08:59
1. Premiership teams can compete with and beat European teams in spite of our lower salary cap.
2. It's not necessary to cheat the salary cap to do so.
3. Well done Exeter and Bristol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/10/2020 09:01 by stjj.

Saint Maul 18 October, 2020 09:00
Two English sides winning the 2 European trophies brought a big smile to my face.

It was a riveting game. Exeter were epic to hold out for the last 10 mins with a man down and so smart in how they played it avoiding any scrums.

Russell's dink kicks over the Exeter defensive line and cross kicks exposed Exeter's defensive pattern in a way I can't remember seeing before which we can learn from.

I feel for Racing, the first team to lose 3 European Finals and not win once.

Bustabloodvessel 18 October, 2020 09:22
Quote:
Hantsaintsrus4
Good refereeing showed up what cheats Ex are on the floor at the breakdown, let's hope they get penalised in the Final next week.

Not just myself then that recognise the tactics at breakdowns and on floor. Drives me mad how much they get away with.

"I HAVE A BIG ONE".

Walks11 18 October, 2020 09:44
Quote:
Bustabloodvessel
Quote:
Hantsaintsrus4

Not just myself then that recognise the tactics at breakdowns and on floor. Drives me mad how much they get away with.

Me too.. the amazement from the pundits at how efficient they are close to the line and itís just good old fashioned cheating by going off feet and sealing off, Iím suitably amazed at how these Ďexpertsí fail to spot it and similarly the officials.

That said they have come a long way in a relatively short space of time and there is a lot to admire about how they have developed. A lot of home grown development and not too many superstars brought in. The players that are bought in always compliment and add to the overall value. Itís a good model. How they keep them together when wage demands increase will be a challenge.

Iím just glad itís not a psuedo international/Irish province, money bags French team and nor a team cheating the system that has won, so congrats to Exeter.

Santiago 18 October, 2020 22:42
Quote:
Walks11
How they keep them together when wage demands increase will be a challenge.

Pasties and clotted cream.

That's actually a serious answer - the culture of living in Devon is very seductive.

shendy 19 October, 2020 07:26
You have clotted cream on your pasties??

ajack 19 October, 2020 07:44
A couple of points, top sportsmen and women by their very nature like winning so people will stop at winning teams with a great culture rather than just take the most money, even although it will always be a factor.

With regard to the so called cheating at the breakdown when the best players, coaches, referees and pundits see it one way and a few people see it another there has to be a strong possibility the players, coaches and referees have a better understanding of the laws.

Longers 19 October, 2020 07:51
Quote:
shendy
You have clotted cream on your pasties??

Wrong way round.

Pasties on m y clotted cream.

(Sm22)

LeicesterSaint 19 October, 2020 08:13
Congratulations to both Exeter and Bristol.

I di agree that they tend to get away with a lot at the breakdown which plays into the ball retention strategy but this is surely a thread for congratulations! As it's been brought up yes it's annoying to play against but a few points - a) winning teams usually get away with a little more and more importantly b) play to the ref, push the boundaries and it's up to the opposition to stop you or the lawmakers to amend laws/interpretations!

Abington Adam 19 October, 2020 08:21
Congratulations to both the West Country sides on their victories in Europe, thoroughly well deserved.

COME ON YOU SAINTS!
Church's Stand season ticket holder
EMRU Referee

Walks11 19 October, 2020 09:38
Quote:
ajack
A couple of points, top sportsmen and women by their very nature like winning so people will stop at winning teams with a great culture rather than just take the most money, even although it will always be a factor.
With regard to the so called cheating at the breakdown when the best players, coaches, referees and pundits see it one way and a few people see it another there has to be a strong possibility the players, coaches and referees have a better understanding of the laws.

Well I wouldnít take the current crop of pundits view as any where near credible. Most are too busy blowing smoke up the ar$es of various DoRís to make it worthwhile. They really are a sorry bunch. Oh for a Sam Warburton or a Dylan Hartley to tell us what is actually going on. Rather than be amazed at Exeterís ruthlessness 5M out how about they actually analyse why this is. They donít and yet continue to steal a living based on their past playing exploits rather than insightful analyses or in Healey case make constant Ďfunnyí quips to hide his Inadequacies.. he really isnít funny or very good.

As for coaches they will coach beyond the legal and why not you get away with as much as possible if you can and throttle back slightly if you get caught. I have no problem with that whatsoever. We were all told quite clearly after the layoff, players entering the ruck MUST stay on feet. The only allowed exception is the first player if by his action mean heís taking out the jackler. Most offensive rucks Exeter have 2 or 3 players not supporting their body weight and therefore the defensive player can get nowhere near the ball. Clever or illegal, clever if you get away with it I guess. But for me we are back to consistency, donít bang on about refereeing the breakdown more stringently ensuring players stay on feet and then allow one team to do exactly the opposite without censure (not quite but it was about 60 mins in before they got pinged for something they had been doing all game). Or was it all a 2 week fad as often these refereeing directives often are before reverting back to same old. Remember the straight feed at scrum directive that probably lasted less than 2 tbh

samlee99 19 October, 2020 10:55
Come on ajack you should know by now that keyboard warriors know far more about the game than players, coaches, pundits and referees!

Deesaint 19 October, 2020 11:39
What a fantastic game
Great win by chiefs / richly deserved reward

Cheating; of course
Ask Ritchie McCaw if he was ever offside

Whatever it takes

Hantsaintsrus4 19 October, 2020 11:54
Usual hypocrisy- push to the limits and beyond even if it's against the laws - but not if Sarries. Jeez

StBuckby 19 October, 2020 12:10
To be clear, you are comparing one team maybe sometimes going off their feet at a breakdown with another that blatantly cheated the cap for at least 5 years, probably 10?

TandJ 19 October, 2020 15:35
Here we go again. Have a look at the link below.

[youtu.be]

Shouting Prarie Dog 19 October, 2020 18:52
Quote:
Saintlyg
Congrats to Exeter Chiefs on Becoming European Champions. Boy did they make all the folks in Devon sweat over it.

Sweat? I thought I was about to peg out several times.

Just a rugby club from Devon.
We know who we be.

The lowest depth to which people can sink before Truth is defined by the word 'God'.

Pawel Vygot. 2020

Dragonboy 19 October, 2020 19:38
Quote:
LeicesterSaint
Congratulations to both Exeter and Bristol.
I di agree that they tend to get away with a lot at the breakdown which plays into the ball retention strategy but this is surely a thread for congratulations! As it's been brought up yes it's annoying to play against but a few points - a) winning teams usually get away with a little more and more importantly b) play to the ref, push the boundaries and it's up to the opposition to stop you or the lawmakers to amend laws/interpretations!

Well said LeicesterSaint. This is a congratulatory thread celebrating a triumph for English clubs. Nothing else matters now And until next season and we can pick up on anything arising as and when.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net