Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
LOCKDOWN!

Latest: SARACENS 23:14 LEICESTER TIGERS
Next: God only knows!

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: tbc

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: EVERYTHING SALARYCAP RELATED
Posted by: Steve_M
Date: 15/12/2019 02:13
Firstly I am not a Saracens fan, I follow this site as I do other club sites out of interest but this is my first posting and yes itís on the salary cap issue. I am not trying to stir things up again but am posting with a genuine question which, as fans closer to the action than I am, someone on this site may be able to answer.

OK, so the club has been found guilty of salary cap breaches over the previous few seasons and I believe this is now widely accepted to have been the case. Can anyone tell me what steps they believe have been taken by the club to ensure that this isnít the case in this current season ?

I have seen posters on here suggest that as the Ďinvestmentsí were a one-off they would only have counted in that one season and if no more are made this year then that is fine. But is it ? As I understand the regulations on this any payment to a player that constitutes salary is averaged out over the course of a playerís contract to prevent front-loading, back-loading, etc of payments. If the averaged out payments for the investments were sufficient to put the club over the cap previously then surely they will again this season ? There have been a couple of player movements but nothing on balance to make a great difference.

There have also been calls for spot checks, mid-season reviews etc but I fail to see how these could work. A club can be paying whatever they like at any particular point in a season but it is not till that season has been completed that the cap expenditure can be fully assessed. I do agree with other posters on this site that if there were to be checks of this nature then they should extend to all clubs but, as I said, not really sure what the point of these would be.

I look around the squads of the other Premiership clubs, most of whom claim they are paying up to the cap, and their first choice 23ís are probably on a par with the Ď2nd teamsí that Sarries have been fielding recently in terms of international players. The strength of the Sarries squad defies all logic as possibly being beneath the cap. There is talk of Sinckler going to Bristol at £600,000, George Ford on the same at Leicester so surely Itoje, George, the Vunipolas, Farrell, Koch, to name but a few will be earning similar if not more than this; thatís half the cap gone on 6 players.

I guess we will all have to wait till this season is complete but unfortunately I donít for one moment think this episode in the clubs history has ended yet.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net