Latest news:
New Page 1

Welcome to The Saracens. Our message board is primarily a place for Saracens fans to discuss our club. We welcome posters from other clubs as long as their posts are respectful and not repetitive and our guidelines are followed. To leave a message on this board you must register. To register click HERE,
Non-rugby posts are welcome, but please prefix your subject header with "OT" or "Off Topic".

Thought for the Day:
"THE CLUB, THE PEOPLE, THE FANS WILL ALWAYS
HOLD A SPECIAL PLACE IN MY HEART"
Kelly Brown

Latest: SARACENS 23:14 LEICESTER TIGERS
Next: Sat 15 Aug BRISTOL BEARS, Ashton Gate 16:30

Audio: Click the link below. If it ain' there, it ain't on!
Upcoming TV: Bristol Bears v Saracens 15 Aug 16:00 BT Sport 1

BBC Online Rugby Union Commentaries

The Fish | Rugby Union News | Fez Boys | Saracens Fixtures | The SSA | Rugby on TV

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: EVERYTHING SALARYCAP RELATED
Posted by: Duncan96
Date: 20/12/2019 08:10
Doing it through the PRL will whither and die, Nick, and lose the anti inflationary benefits of doing it through the clubs. But I'll come on to why later.

First, all of the clubs could do this if they have the right culture. If you look at Wolfpack Lager, Tiki Tonga coffee etc, NW didn't put all the money in. He put together investor groupings by saying to his mates "I believe in this, I'm putting a bit of money in, will you join me?" The people he brought in were experienced business people who have helped these inexperienced (in a business sense) rugby players buck the trend of most start ups (which usually go bust) with help and advice well beyond the money (much better than the PRL could do it).

Look at all the other rugby club owners. They are similar types. They could do the same with their network of business contacts if they could be arsed. But why don't they? I think Jim Hamilton gave a clue to this: culture.

After the owner of Gloucester threw Wolfpack lager out of Gloucester for being a "bad thing" Jim gave a specific example of the difference in culture between Gloucester and Saracens:

When players are injured long term clubs have the right to halve their salaries after 12 months and terminate after 2 years. That right is used routinely at most clubs including Gloucester. It has never, ever been used at Saracens (which I'm sure Duncan Taylor is very grateful for).

So let those clubs with the right culture fly free on this subject and not be held back by the reactionary elements within the PRL. It's not difficult to make sure any loan element of such investments is arms length in its terms. Any high street accountant could have told the PRL that NW's loans to the property companies weren't arms length when there was no equity sitting behind them. It's not rocket science.

And lastly, doing it through the clubs is anti inflationary. Imagine you are a 27 year old rugby player, maybe newly married with an infant child. It's beginning to dawn on you that retirement is looming in 5 or so years. But you are at a club like Saracens which will actively assist you in what ever post retirement training you want .E.g. Schalk Brits was found a training placement at KPMG which he took up well before he retired. Even more than that, if you have a business idea which excites you the club will invest a bit in you, and bring other investors in to put together a team to help steer you through the choppy waters of being a start up.

The club did it. Not the PRL. So you are George Kruis. A British Lion and your contract comes up for renewal. How are you going to leave Saracens and take a more lucrative offer from Leicester who desperately need you and will pay more, when Saracens were integral to setting you up in the Medicinal Cannabis business you are pasionate about, and which is going to sustain you when you retire? You might leave Saracens for the extra money but it won't be easy. If the PRL had done it, it would be much easier to leave.

As a Saracens supporter this is an aspect of the club, together with the High School in a deprived area just down the road from me, the community work done a t Allianz Park, the work in prisons to stop people reoffending ..... the list goes on, that I'm very proud of. It's a revolutionary culture for a sporting organisation which extends to the treatment of the players.

Let the likes of Gloucester, who thought it was OK to pick on Alistair Hargreaves and Chris Wyles for having the temerity to start a business with help from their club, change their ways and catch up. Lets not make forward looking clubs like Saracens be tethered in this area by the likes of them, by insisting its all done through the PRL.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net