Latest news:

The COML Message Board

The place for discussion, debate and nonsense about Bath Rugby.

Join our new Facebook Group today!

New visitors please read the house rules before posting

Test your prognostications at our Prediction League

Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: The Lighter Side
Posted by: Baffy Buck at Home
Date: 14/06/2019 17:27
My tale seems appropriate given the weather now, well to me anyway. It starts on a very grey, very wet overcast day in a January many years ago when we had spells of proper wintry weather. I’d been press ganged into a select 5th XV to play away at a great Thamseside club, strangely given the all-stars of the 5ths we were given the pitch across the road from their splendid facilities with one end of the pitch ending just a few yards from the river.

The game started with mist, mizzle and mud aplenty with absolutely no skill, ability or commitment from the two sides until our fly half hoisted a Garryowen into the riverside end and found the only pebble in the mud bath and bounced straight into the reedy quagmire by the river with a plop
Needless to say, the experienced home side weren’t going to fetch the ball and so the arguing began until our openside flanker, a forward with just enough intelligence to be impatient, marched into the quagmire to fetch the ball. Knee deep in the mud he hoisted the ball in triumph, swore and promptly fell face flat in the mud as he tried to return and lo our very own Fran Cotton emerged screaming he was stuck.

His concerned teammates took immediate action by laughing themselves senseless and eventually formed a three man human chain to fish Fran out and lo Fran had a twin as the first man in met the same fate. Needless to say human chain members two and three immediately let go and saved themselves whilst the two Frans eventually extricated themselves. It’s the closest I’ve ever come to a game being called off for mud or twenty seven players rendered incapable due to paroxysms of laughter. For years after they were known as the Frans…

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net