Latest news:
Report This Message
Are you sure you want to report this post?

Re: Haskell
Posted by: Bazzo
Date: 06/02/2018 12:11
Quote:
GHA
Quote:
Bazzo
You've never criticised selection? You always say that recruitment has been poor, but I never see any solutions to your argument? Who should we have signed that we did not? it is so easy to criticise the recruitment because of our league position (and the coaches) but I never see any positive contribution. I always think that our recruitment is ok, in the financial world that we obviously operate in. We are after bargain basement as well as bringing through our academy lads. I think that Kendo has done a great job bringing the young players through, TBC, Joe, Johnny, Fowlie, Atkins, Parton, Cooke etc and signings like Hoskins, Franco Van DM, Coman, McNally, Seb De C, Max NG, are all good players as well as the more experienced Franks, Marshall, Tonks etc etc. We got badly hit by Topsy's injury and Nalaga especially, but you can't predict injury.
To criticise recruitment, you would have to know the budget and none of us know that. I think that you criticise only because we are bottom (which you and lots are entitled to do) but truth is we are shopping in a different league money wise, we are too good for the Championship budget wise but not good enough for the Premiership.

I've never criticised selection, no. I also feel some of what apparently little money we have has been spent poorly through the seasons on players like Franze, Warwick (?), Sa, Van der Linde, Waldouck, Ben Robinson's brother, maybe Jack Schatz, and hopefully not Nalaga, among others. Obviously one or two is unlucky, but 7 or 8 is just careless. This is assuming we don't have money to burn, which we all believe to be the case on here despite finding funds for James O'Connor for a short while (God that was fun), or two-time World Cup-winning prop Ben Franks, or Premiership-winning prop Petrus Du Plessis, or ITM Cup-winning, two-time Super Rugby-winning coach and Samoa Co-Head Coach Tom Coventry. Maybe there's more money down the sofas at Hazelwood than we think.

It isn't just because we are bottom that I'm suggesting that we aren't great on recruitment, or we only seem to get other teams' cast-offs, as I've said it for a good few seasons. It is almost always met with a 'well who else is there?' which in my opinion is an easy and dismissive reply. There's a massive pool of players we can go after - everyone is available for the right price. But season after season we seem to come back with players who are no longer wanted by their own teams - teams that are usually of a better league standing than us. At the same time we lose the Armitages or JJ or Anthony Watson or Marland Yarde or Jamie Gibson or Matt Garvey or Alex Lewington. Is that because we are a million miles off everyone else in terms of finances? Or we aren't efficient with our incomings? Or a little from column A, a little from column B? Perhaps the review we had after our previous relegation could shed some light on it. I wonder if we'll be having a similar one at the end of this season.

This also ignores the idea that we as a collective rate our squad higher than it actually is due to watching them week in week out. In your message, Bazzo, you say that Kendo's done a great job bringing kids through along with new signings and more experienced heads - a list that includes 16 players plus 2 injured. Shame the 15 we are putting out week after week in the Premiership aren't cutting it. Anyway, hopefully we can take our good form from the last few games and build on it this Saturday, fingers crossed.

Apologies for the essay.

No need to apologise for the essay or reply, you are entitled to your opinion.

I am sorry but your time runs much longer than me at the club, I am not aware of the details of the wrong signings that you mention, Franze, Warwick, Sa, Van der Linde etc I do remember Waldouck being here for a year. A lot of these I presume are old signings from a long time ago.

My argument is that not every signing will stay fit and healthy, but mostly that we are shopping in a different league and that Kennedy has not done a bad job based on the funding at his disposal (which I assume is less than most teams due to our revenues). We are doing better at keeping our young talent (Joe on a four year deal? etc). The academy players that you mentioned who left I also presume did so for more money and better chances of international caps. I know it is hard to stay up and revert to the statement made beforehand, we are top financially in the Championship but bottom financially in the Premiership. With that in mind, I do not think recruitment has been bad.

You may optionally give an explanation for why this post was reported, which will be sent to the moderators along with the report. This can help the moderator to understand why you reported the post.
Name:
Email:

We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net