GB v New Zealand Preview


By Chris Lord
November 9 2005

Its make or break for teamGB at Huddersfield on saturday as they must win to have any hopes of making the final of the Tri-Nations in 2006.

 

Tri-Nations RL

Great Britian v New Zealand

@ Galpharm Stadium, Huddersfield Giants RLFC

Saturday 12th November 2005, Kick Off: 18.15

LIVE on  Sky Sports.com

Great Britain have delayed selection of their team to face New Zealand in Saturday's must-win Gillette Tri-Nations Series clash.

A squad announcement has been put back at least 24 hours to give the coaching staff more time to consider their options for a game Britain need to win handsomely if they are to keep alive their slender hopes of reaching the November 26 final.

"We're still debating," assistant coach Jon Sharp told a news conference at the team's Manchester hotel. "At this stage, everyone is in with a shout until they are ruled out.

"We're looking at how the combinations are working but we're pretty close. It's just down to the fine detail."

Unlike both Australia and New Zealand, Britain have their full complement of players to select from and the coaches' big dilemma is whether to introduce a different half-back pairing for the third successive match.

After starting the series with Kevin Sinfield and Paul Deacon, the coaches recalled Iestyn Harris for last Saturday's game against Australia and switched Sinfield to loose forward.

They look certain to retain both the pack, which has been impressive in both games so far, and the threequarter line but may consider bringing in Hull half-back Richard Horne, one of four players still unused in the series.

While delighted by the improvement they demonstrated in Saturday's heart-breaking 20-6 defeat by the Kangaroos, Sharp admits Britain will need to take another step up if they are to gain the desired result on his home ground at Huddersfield.

"We need to keep improving," he said. "We were not far off against the Aussies and the scoreline flattered them. We do need to pick it up again because the Kiwis are playing with plenty of confidence.

"Our team is three weeks old now and we're practising really well. We're improving from one day to the next but we need to keep improving still."

One man sure to keep his place in the squad is Leeds Rhinos centre Chev Walker, who has made a significant impact in both games after being introduced into the second row.

He believes Britain are close to finding the right formula but accepts they need to make a better start this time. They were shocked by the Kiwis' explosive opening at Loftus Road, where they found themselves 18-0 down inside the first quarter and, despite a second-half rally, eventually went down 42-26.

"I don't think we need to change that much but we need to take the game by the horns from the first minute, rather than testing the water," said the 23-year-old Walker, who hopes to win his fifth cap at the Galpharm Stadium.

"We need to get in there and lay the platform as we know we can. There were periods in the game against the Kiwis where we blew them out of the water.

"In the first match the Kiwis came out all guns blazing and controlled the ball more than they normally do, which surprised me.

"There is improvement to come and I'm sure it will happen this week. I just think we can match them and get above them."

 

Bookmark or share this story with: