Latest news:

Cup Success & Failure For EYR


By Geronimo Jim
December 9 2006

All the Latest reports from Exeter Youth Rugby. For the latest news on fixtures - Exeter Chiefs U16s

The Exeter Chiefs U16s began their game against Saltash, knowing full well that a sound performance would put them in good stead for their next league matches.

They started strongly, and with some excellent work from the forwards, Josh Sussex produced an accurate cross kick for Ollie Ellsworth to catch and score. Ellsworth converted his own try. Stu Hoddinott brushed off tackles minutes later to slide over for a try. Craig Shore burst through the Saltash defence on an excellent running line to score the third try of the match, again converted. Ellsworth then added a penalty, and Gareth Elliott scored the last try of the half for the Exeter Chiefs, making it 29-0 at the break.

Saltash showed a strong defence at the start of the second half, and it took a Josh Sussex drop goal to get Exeter their next points. Exeter's forwards were now dominating their opposite numbers especially at the lineouts. Craig Shore finished off an impressive period of hard work by the forwards with his second try and Rob Trobridge scored with a well worked move at the front of the lineout. Harry Oliver added the last points of the game, after some quick handling by the Exeter Chiefs backs, left the Saltash drift defence in pieces and the final score at 47 -0.

Exeter Chiefs Under 15s Exeter Chiefs versus Ivybridge Devon Junior Cup 1st round.

Exeter Chiefs kicked off at Sandy Park into a strong wind and it was 10 minutes before the Chiefs put some points on the board. Ivybridge who were on the attack inside Exeters' 10 metre line, lost the ball and the Chiefs fly half Daniel Mugford caught his own kick over the Ivybridge advancing backs and ran the full length of the pitch only to be caught and tackled a metre short of the line, but with good quick support enabled scrum half Charlie Taverner to go over in the corner. 10 minutes later Ivybridge who only offered a kick and chase option were under pressure again, this time from a 5 metre line out, from which Chiefs lock Robert Langley broke through from 5 metres to put the Chiefs 10 - 0 up. Both conversions in the first half were narrowly missed by full back Harry Auton.

After the break, Exeter now with the wind behind them started to dominate up front, and 10 minutes in scrum half Charlie Taverner went over for his second from close range. Fly half Daniel Mugford took over the kicking duty and unfortunately missed, but made up for it 5 minutes later by converting his own try after powering his way through the Ivybridge defence 5 metres from the line. Exeter now 22 points in front, started to move the ball confidently through the backs and full back Harry Auton finished off a fine move with his try just outside of the left hand up right. The fly half made it two in a row with his kick, The match now won and only 5 minutes left, the Chiefs scored there sixth try from number 8 Jamie Rose who dived and stretched out his arm to score after peeling off a close range driving maul. Dan Mugford put the conversion just wide.

Final score: Exeter Chiefs 34 Ivybridge 0 Exeter Chiefs Under 14s

Exeter Under 14s met Exmouth for the second time this season and after the very close match last time out, we all looked forward to an exciting game, unfortunately for Exeter and for Exmouth both teams seemed to have problems with a number of injuries and absent players, the Chiefs were missing several of the starting team from the week before, though numbers are not a major problem, first team players missing did prove to be so.

Before the start of the match both teams held a 2 min silence in respect for the day, and then it was down to business. Both teams seemed to be slow to get going, the ball moved from end to end, without either team taking any sort of control over the match, there were some good sound and solid tackles from both teams and the ball was able to move through the back, but both teams had trouble in controlling the final ball so neither team managed to get to the try line, half time 0.0

Second half, and because of a couple injuries, the Chiefs had to make some changes, this gave the boys from Exmouth the opportunity to make some good headway into the Exeter half of the pitch, just after the start of the second half, Exmouth had a breakaway and crossed the line in the corner, this seemed to get the Exmouth boy's tails up and came at Exeter again and with some good running and some poor defence from Exeter they managed to score again, no conversions from either of these tries, after yet more changes for Exeter the Exmouth boys were now on a serious charge and unfortunately the Exeter boys had no way of putting the brakes on as Exmouth crossed for their third. From the restart a quick chip over the top of the Chiefs back line and a very lucky bounce in to the hands of the running scrum half from Exmouth saw yet another try, just to finish off with Exeter now totally demoralised and with 9 replacements on the pitch Exmouth had a big push into Exeters corner and the 5th and final try, of the last tries 2 were converted, final score Exeter u 14s 0...Exmouth u 14s 29.

Exeter Chiefs Under 13s Under 13’s met their nemesis in the Devon Cup today losing away to Devonport services 49-12.

The team knew they would have to play out of their skins to upset a well organised Devonport XV, but although they lost the game they put on their best display of the season so far. The team were determined to knock Devonport off their stride early on and had their fair share of the possession in the early stages. The forwards were dominant in the scrums and were rucking well and it was when Exeter applied constant pressure near the Devonport line that Devonport strayed off-side once too often and the referee awarded a penalty try which was converted by Rory Augstburger.

The pattern of the game continued with Exeter competing well in the tight with some committed and hard tackling, but Devonport getting the ball wide very quickly and stretching Exeter with some good handling and slick drawing and passing by their backs. Even when the game was beyond them Exeter kept driving on and were rewarded with a true forwards try late in the second half by prop forward Courtney Toze.

The game was well mannered throughout, but was spoiled by an incident late on which prompted the referee to issue a straight red card to a Devonport player. An Exeter player was also issued a yellow card for retaliating.

Exeter Chiefs Under 12s

The Under 12’s travelled to the Riviera this weekend to face Paignton. With just 13 in the squad the boys had to preserve themselves for the whole 40 minutes and there was no room for injuries.

The Chiefs kicked off and the forwards battled hard for at least 5 minutes in the Paignton half. After several scrums and plenty of full on rucking and mauling you couldn’t have separated the two sides. Paignton then took advantage of some slack defending and got on the scoreboard. The Chiefs bounced back with a try of their own but only to concede again just before half time.

Exeter fought hard in the second half but Paignton managed to break the Exeter defence 4 more tries. Despite two injuries that eventually left Paignton with 12 on the pitch the Chiefs could only respond with another solitary try in the second half.

The final score was 38 – 14 to the home side. The Chiefs scores were made by Luke Mingo and Harry ??, both being converted by Jamie Myers. The man of the match award sponsored by APB Plastering went to pack leader Callum Pillinger-Brown for his tremendous efforts up front.

View a Printer Friendly version of this Story.

Bookmark or share this story with: