The Craic
A Change of Plan
By LI Bohemian
March 6 2019

This report may seem a little sparse (hooray some of you are thinking), because I only considered doing it on the way to the match, a match that I was not going to attend, when I awoke that day. 

I had made a considerable mistake in the surveyor department, when deciding how long it would take to grout the new patio I had laid in the back garden previously. 

As I stood there, approximately one hour after starting the job with my brush and pointing trowel, I wondered, what would with the rest of my day? 

The trains were playing up so I took the bus to Oxford for the train ride to Reading. 

This game I hoped would be a safe bet for five points, but, at the kick off to London Scottish the catcher was taken in the air, for a tiny moment, I thought what if a red card was brandished? Even a yellow might swing things at the beginning of a game, luckily it was just a penalty awarded against Irish. 

Irish got into the LS half via a line break via Van Vuuren, after a couple of phases of play Ollie Hoskins scored the first try of the game, this was converted by the excellent Ian Keatley. 

After the restart Irish moved up the field in pursuit of another score, after a regulation ruck close to the Scottish line, a London Scottish player emerged with the ball and raced to the other half of the pitch, he was brought down a couple of metres from the Irish try line, in the subsequent ruck Albert Tuisue was deemed to have slowed the ball and so was shown a yellow card. LS quickly scored from this good position. 

At a score of seven all with fourteen men, Irish managed to score the next try, with fifteen players they scored two more, all converted by Mr. Keatley to see out the half 28 to 7. 

In the second half the game was over as a contest after about 15 minutes in, with two more tries scored.

In truth Irish never really got out of second gear, and dominated the lineout, scrums and virtually scored most of the time when ever they broke the Scots defensive line. 

The game reminded me of how it was for Irish in the premiership the season before, teams would rock up and just wait for a collapse at some point in the game and the game as a contest was over. London Scottish threw the ball about getting nowhere and either, slung a bad pass, knocked on or kicked possession away, (sounds familiar?). 

To be fair to Scottish they did rally a bit at the end of the game to get two tries back, but this could be put down to LS pride, the usual raft of substitutions and the odd decisions from the official, who I thought might have better knowledge of the scrimmaging than he had shown on the day, as he was probably a former front row player. 

The game finished at 52-21. Keatley was rightly pronounced man of the match, him being former fifth choice fly half at Munster shows how much work needs to be done by London Irish to stay in the premiership though.